PDA

View Full Version : poison ivy

bobby perez
06-27-2001, 12:23 PM
does anyone have a cure or relief for poison ivy besides calamine lotion or oatmeal baths

jeffyr
06-27-2001, 01:32 PM
I read that washing with Epsom salt 3 times a day will dry the sores faster.

Sorry to hear about it.

rdh
06-27-2001, 01:39 PM
bleach , gas will dry it up , just dont put it on any private parts .

CSRA Landscaping
06-27-2001, 01:59 PM
Forget the bleach. I tried it and it definitely did not work. Best thing that I've found to do for PO is to take a shower. Start out at the regular temp and work it up in temp until it gets as hot as you can stand it, for as long as you can stand it. BEWARE! This will cause severe itching at first, for a few seconds. BUT -- you will have relief from itching for 6-8 hours. Best way for me to handle it, and I just let it run its course.

What's happening: the hot water is drawing out the histamine in the irritated area. That's what causes the itching. Once the histamine has been drawn out, it has to build back up again, takes it a while, so you get relief. No drugs, no chemicals. This came out of a home medicine book that my wife got when she was going to pharmacy school. Good luck!!:D

stslawncare
06-27-2001, 02:05 PM
when i was sun burn, my bio teacher put alo lotion or something on me, it worked i think, comes from a plant

PrimeGreen Lawn
06-27-2001, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by stslawncare
when i was sun burn, my bio teacher put alo lotion or something on me, it worked i think, comes from a plant

Sorry, STS, won't work for ivy. Sunburn blisters definately not the same as poison ivy. Whenever we do a lot clearing, (rarely), the guys smear on something that inhibits the poison oils from getting into your skin before you start the work. I forget what it's called, but I know first hand that it works. As for getting rid of existing poisioning, don't know. Calamine lotion works great after the hot shower thing, helps to dry it up.

mdb landscaping
06-27-2001, 02:46 PM
ive found a product that seems to work pretty well and stop the itching. its called "RHULI GEL". i found it at the local pharmacy after my doctor recommended it. try it, it worked for me.

geogunn
06-27-2001, 03:07 PM
a liquid product called "IVY DRY" does very well.

also--as I am hyper alergic to the crap, when I get it bad I have a prescription for "VALISONE".

I don't do jobs where I can grt poison ivey. my customers have been very understanding about this. good luck.

GEO

script
06-27-2001, 05:23 PM
I found that the Rhuli gel works pretty good too as far as contoling the itch some. I was getting it pretty bad a little over a year ago and finally went to the Dr. for a shot which dried it up pretty fast. Don't know if the shot has anything to do with it or not, but now when I get it, it only lasts for a couple of days and does not spread as badly as it used to.

Bobby

gogetter
06-27-2001, 06:43 PM
Saw something in one of my catalogs. It's a pill that you take. The main ingredient is poison ivy oil.
This reminds me of a story my father told me about my grandfather.
Said he was terribly allergic to the stuff (as am I!). One day he swallowed some P.I. leaves and was immune ever after.
I always figured it was just that, a "story".
But now this product makes me wonder.
Anyone ever try it?
I'll have to find that ad to get the name of the stuff.

CSRA Landscaping
06-27-2001, 06:45 PM
As I understand it, that's usually how immunities are established. But I'll tell you what. I -don't- think that I'll be swallowing any PO anytime soon. I know too many people that have had the stuff internally. Very dangerous then.

gogetter
06-27-2001, 06:58 PM
LOL! Hey Jeff, I meant did anyone ever try the product, not swallowing poison ivy! ;-)

jnjnlc
06-27-2001, 07:32 PM
I got to go along with Jeff there. I don't think I would swallow any PO or PI. I will suffer the consequences. LOL. Just kidding.

I get in the stuff all of the time but I do not get it unless I just more or less rub it all over me. It itches a little and goes away in a couple of days. I guess I am just lucky. My wife can just look at it and start itching.

No special remedy here just calamine and a Benedril. You might try Benedril spray. Since it is an anti-histamine. I have not tried that but I will bet that it will help.

Good luck with it. I know it is a pain in the backside.

BeerBefore12
06-27-2001, 07:37 PM
try CSRA's shower method exclusively. I crank up the hot water on it. In sort of a sadistic way it feels so good. there's nothing thats stable enough not to make it itch when you sweat but pick up some "ivy-dry" from the drugstore on the way home and hit the shower apply after. funny but the amount of poison oak you contact with sawing power lines is phenomenal but the sweat keeps you from a severe case usually

Got Grass?
06-27-2001, 08:11 PM
Fortunatly I have never had poisen ivy, I much be immune to it as I've rubed it on my arms and still nothing.
On the other hand my mom is alergic to it. She found the best stuff isnt the normal lotion or even what the DR. wrote up. but this lotion/wash stuff that all the utility companies arround here use becasue thay are always getting into it. Unfortuatly I cant remember the name off hand, and is only sold from thoes industrial supply (cleaning, maint.) type places. Comes in arround pint size bottles. I'll figure out what it is & let ya know.

Chip
06-27-2001, 09:28 PM
Jonathan I have heard that if you eat red poison ivy leaves you will develope the amunity. I would not recomend it or even try it. My thought is prevention.
When I was young, I used to spend my days riding bikes and play in the woods. They were infested with poison. It seemed like calmine lotion was something on moms weekly shoping list. When I first started landscaping 12 years ago, and many years after playing in the woods, I got a good case of the itch. My brother in-law told me if I washed within 12 hours of contact and washed clothes prior to washing body I could get rid of the oils and not be affected. I always strip down in front of the washing machine and start a load before getting in the shower. Don't use a wash cloth, it will hold oils, just a bar of ivory soap.
Today I pulled a big vine of poison ivy from a flower bed took all the precautions including gloves. This thread will probably jinx me and I will end up with the worst case ever, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Good luck with your itches!

yardmonkey
06-27-2001, 10:22 PM
I had poison ivy for 3 months last year. Have had it a little bit this year. The hot shower method mentioned above really works. Run really hot water on affected areas until they don't itch. Will last 6-8 hours. You might wake up in the night when the itch comes back, but at least you can get to sleep. The active chemical in poison ivy is an oil called Urushiol. If not washed off within a few hours, it binds into skin cells. Your immune system then attacks your own skin cells. This is why it takes awhile to get over it. You have to replace your skin. There is a product called Technu that can be used to wash off the oil. It does not come off easily and can keep getting you from clothes and tools. Urushiol is very potent - it is measured in micrograms (millionths of a gram). The same company that makes Technu makes another product to apply before exposure. I think it is called Ivy Armour. Of course you should become expert at recognizing it and try to stay away from it. Since I don't seem to get it as bad as I did when I was a kid (covered my whole body, eyes swollen shut), I don't worry about it that much anymore. I actually did eat a leaf this spring. Didn't seem to make me immune. The roof of my mouth felt funny for a few days. I was glad I didn't end up in the hospital. I still think there must be some way to become immune to it. But from what I have read, that's not too likely. There is a lot of info on the web. This site is a good starting place: http://poisonivy.aesir.com/

Spike
06-27-2001, 11:11 PM
Try not to laugh to hard but try rubbing fresh bannana peel on the infected area. Someone told me so i tried it and it started to dry it up tat same day. by day 3 it was cleared up.......

roscioli
06-27-2001, 11:13 PM
Bobby: Dont eat a leaf, that is insane, if you get PI internally, you are done for the season, if not dead. I have a cure i have been using for a few years, but it only works on small cases, and after a few days, when the bubbles are about ready to pop. Pop them with a needle, then soak the area immediately in rubbing alcohol. The alcohol not only cleans, but it dries very well. Keep changing q-tips, to not reinfect yourself. If you have it real bad, ask the doctor. Prednisone works well, its a steroid, but it has super crazy side effects. You can only take it for a few days. It helps a lot. Technu is good for prevention, hot showers i have never tried because what it does, is make the bubbles leak, and spread. Rhuli gel is good for itching, but doesnt really dry very well. Its now sold under the name Band-Aid something or other. GOod luck, i had it last year very badly, and was out for a while before the prednisone cured me.

Jim White
06-27-2001, 11:27 PM
Yardmonkey, Why on earth would eat PI. or any leave for that matter? that little fat free snack could have cost you dearly. And beware to all about burning that stuff the oils can travel in the smoke and infect others in the area, who aren't any where near the stuff. If breathed in it can make you very very sick. I've had a small case of it for the last 4 weeks, I finnally just last week found out were I was getting it. four of my customers have large evergreen trees along the back of their property, I was using the trimmer to knock down the grass and weeds that was growing underneath, and low and behold among the grass hidden from view by the big branches was the PI. The trimmer would shed the stuff up and throw little bits of the stuff on me. So rather than it taking on the appearance of large infected areas, it looked I had littlr bug bits.

gogetter
06-27-2001, 11:36 PM
Found that product I had mentioned earlier. I was wrong, it's not a pill, it's a liquid called Oral Ivy. You "put a few drops daily in juice or water and it stimulates the body's natural defense against posion ivy, oak, and sumac". "Oral Ivy is actually made from poison ivy leaves; it is safe, effective and easy to use". It says a 1oz. bottle lasts about six months.

This is in Gemplers catalog and sells for $16.70 per bottle.

bobby perez
06-27-2001, 11:44 PM
hey guys thanks for the genuine concern and epathy ( hold on got to scratch ) My doctor told me to eat it that would build an immunity Sounded a bit extreme to me, but he said that was what the Indians used to do.I reminded him that there wasn,t too many Indians left.The guy who told the Indians to eat it was the DOCTORRRRRRR!!!!!!!. But i guess there must be something to it . Whenever I,m out around green plants with 3 leavesI wash my hands 1st chance I get. Again thankyou for your wise counsel and expertise keep them coming.

John from OH
06-27-2001, 11:46 PM
Definately don't eat the leaves. I've had poison ivy internally and trust me, you don't want it. I am allergic to several things and have found that when I'm on Claritan D, I don't get poison ivy.

David Gretzmier
06-27-2001, 11:52 PM
my mom used a similar treatment with sandpaper and rubbing alcohol. I remember screaming and then it healing 2-3 days later. I use calamine now and it takes like 2 weeks, and sometimes it comes back. Dave g

danlawnser
06-27-2001, 11:53 PM
I use this substance that my buddy gets me. It is used for cleaning the oil and junk off of metal. It works really well for me. It like takes out or dries up the oil from the poison. It clears the ivy up in about a week or a little more and it takes away the itching like real quick. Try to find it by you. It works GREAT. Just go to like a fabricating place for metal and get some. I don't think you will be sorry. It does smell and don't put it on sensitive areas. Hope it helps

rdh
06-28-2001, 12:00 AM
bobby does that doctor have a hay skirt on and a bone in his nose.and is his office a mud hut.that would probly be a good law suit.you could
sue him for his spear.

Lawn DOG
06-28-2001, 12:03 AM
The stuff you apply before exposure is called tec-ivy(something like that). The product derived from the poison ivy is called rustox. it is a homeopathic remeady. If you take one pill a month before you get exposed you will not get it. I have taken it for years. It also helps to relieve the itching but I have found that once you get it don't wait to start treating it or it will spread like wild fire. Had a guy who ran in the woods to take a dump. He grabbed the wrong leaves to clean up. He had to go to the hospital and get some steroid shots. Ouch!

CSRA Landscaping
06-28-2001, 12:19 AM
Ooops!! Bet that hurt! A hot shower will not cause the ivy infection to spread. Usually after a few hours, it won't spread. That book said that if you know that you've been infected with the stuff, try to wash it off immediately with rubbing alcohol, then shower, to wash it off. But don't use the washcloth;) .

TotalLawn
06-29-2001, 03:29 AM
I got some stuff called "Domeboro" from the local pharmacy. It is BY FAR the best stuff I have ever seen for posion ivy, oak, & sumac. It comes in a white box with blue writing. It's a powder that you mix with water and then soak a washcloth in it an lay the cloth over the infected area. The next morning it was drying up. I applied it again the next day and by the 3rd day it was almost completly gone!!

Atlantic Lawn
06-29-2001, 08:28 AM
I've had poison ivy many times over the years and one of the most drastic methods that always works for me is bleach. You have to rough up the affected area until it is open and oozes and then scrub that area with bleach. It burns when you do it and what you are ending up with is a "chemical burn". It won't itch anymore after that.Ivy Dry works pretty good too and is more acceptable to doctors who I have talked with. I was using a walk behind brush mower last week and cut about a half acre of brush with loads of poison ivy in it. I wore longsleeves and a dust mask. Leaves and chopped vine flyin' everywhere. When I was done I went to thhe local gas station and about took a shower in the mens room. I got home and took a real shower after throwin the clothes in the wash. This was the ultimate exposure for my neck and face area and in the end I didn't even get a bump of Ivy anywhere. If you get the oils off within a few hours I think you really decrease your chances of getting it .

David Haggerty
06-29-2001, 08:53 AM
There are now ivy immunizations and cures.
These work.
Nothing else does
.www.oralivy.com
http://www.zanfel.com/

I've had ivy poisoning all my life. The more you get it, the worse it is. Doctors have told me I had the worse case of it they'd ever seen. Every time I caught it required a trip to the doctor for a steroid injection.
Save yourself some grief, these products work. I have cabinets full of the other remedies.
Dave

jnjnlc
07-01-2001, 11:05 PM
This past Thursday right after this post came out I was doing a small clean up for one of my customers. I got into some Poison Sumac. Now I have had PO and PI but not this. PS is different. It started as a small rash. I did the hot water trick and it worked great. Took the itch right out. I thought I oculd tough this one out and it would go awy in a few days. Got up this morning and my left arm was swollen so bad I could hardly bend it. I decided, after much encouragement from my wife, I would go to the doc. They gave me Prednisone. So far it is working. The swelling is down and the itch is gone. I think you guys jinxed me into getting the PS. Well from now on I will make sure I am a little more careful around it.

Stay out of it if you can.

CSRA Landscaping
07-01-2001, 11:51 PM
Bummer. Hate to hear that, Jeff. Hope everything gets better.

Greg Mc
07-02-2001, 01:27 AM
I know for a fact if u wash with Lye soap after you think you
have come in contact with it the soap will rid you of it. You
can also wash with it on the infected area and it helps. I have
had PI 4 times since last year and this works. I have also heard
if you start eating a little honey every now and then it will
build up an immunity.

Indiana
07-02-2001, 09:19 AM
I always get poison ivy every year at least once pretty bad.

I usually wash with a big bar of soap labeled OCTAGON. This soap is just the original version of bar soap, mostly lye.

It is yellow and most of the time can be found. If I wash with this soap after I know I have been in it, I don't get it. Also there is some homopathic pills I take that helps when I do get it. Just take a couple every couple of hours while I'm in it.

When I got real bad I waited for the bubbles to come up and popped them while washing with the yellow soap. Then I rubbed a little bit of red vinegar on them. Burned for a second but it was gone by morning. I have done this a few times and it always seems to work.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Find the poison ivy and kill it with TRIMEC or ROUND-UP.
This year I am charging a few dollars more for poison ivy areas and strongly reccommeding spraying it.

jnjnlc
07-02-2001, 11:42 AM
Don't want to beat a dead horse but I found this web site that has some good info on Poison vines.http://poisonivy.aesir.com/

mdb landscaping
07-02-2001, 11:48 AM
this thread jinxed me. a day after i submitted a reply, i got the stuff on my arms. i guess i can try all these tips now. hooray

bobby perez
07-02-2001, 09:03 PM
Sorry didn't mean to jinkx anyone . Just thought that this was one of the hazards of the business. Alot of good ideas and cures that we could all benifit from. If any body can submit the identification of the deadly 3 PI , PO and PS that would benifit us all again.Thanks to all the members with their knowledge and suggestions.

EarthWorks
07-02-2001, 11:02 PM
One of my guys says that pison Ivy can spread from the blisters. I say that once you clean the area and get the oil off then scratching the blisters will not spread it. What do you guys think?

GreenQuest Lawn
07-03-2001, 12:25 AM
poisen Ivy blisters do not spread. Only if you have the oil still on you.

Paradise Yard Service
07-03-2001, 02:20 AM
Hawaii has its own version of Poison Ivy----Mango Trees! A member of the sumac family. Great fruit, but watch out for the oil on the skin of the fruit,bark,leaves,roots. If you react to pioson ivy,oak or sumac you will need to be carefull of mangos too!

My youger days in New Hampshire bring on memories of intense scratching in the humid summer heat!

Aloha,
P.Y.S.

Jim McDonald
07-03-2001, 01:25 PM
Before you work in an area with poision ivy put on Immune Ivy Lotion. It can be purchased at some drug stores. It apparently neutralizes the oil if you get it on you. If you already have poision ivy, a shot from the doctor is the only thing I have tried that really works.

ron
07-03-2001, 05:07 PM
Hey when affected by PI I use ALOE VERA GEL twice a day right after a hot shower works very well...