PDA

View Full Version : performance chips for Duramax

CutRight
12-19-2006, 05:20 PM
i've got a 2006 6.6L Duramax GMC 2500HD, just wondering about putting a chip or some other type of performance parts on the truck, and what type of improvement im actually looking at. seeing whats out there and whats the best move if any.
the truck is already powerful enough for work, but it would just be fun to have a lot more torque and horsepower just for bragging rights, you know, my truck is bigger than yours, so i can drag some fords sideways.
anybody know how many pounds of boost the turbo in a duramax pushes?

i know this cant be good for the trucks, and i dont really care. over the summer i chained my gas 2500hd up to a gas ford f250, i didnt know this at the time, but turns out the ford was in 4 low and i was only in 4 high and i dragged him across the lot. that was a good time, damn was he embarrassed.
havent gotten a chance to chain the duramax up to a powerstroke yet. nobody i know with a powerstroke is willing to do it.

thanks

Sydenstricker Landscaping
12-19-2006, 07:15 PM
Im not sure of specs or turbo boost. Go check out summit racing.com. They have a boatload of aftermarket parts for anything. A company called Banks has a ton of stuff tuned strictly for diesels. I test drove an 06 Chevy 2500hd with the Duramax. Wow is all I got to say

kubotazd21
12-19-2006, 07:22 PM
I have a 03 chevy with the duramax. I installed a hypertech powerchip. What a difference. It has 3 different settings, 50 extra hp, 70 and then 90hp. I leave mine 0n the 90 extra hp. My truck has 42,000 miles and is now getting almost 21mpg on the highway. In the rain who have to be careful how you drive it or the rear tires will lose traction. Well worth the 300.00 I paid for it.Plenty of power and great milage.

carcrz
12-19-2006, 08:44 PM
I know I have a Dodge, but I have the Quadzilla Race Module w/ a Commander to control it & gauges.

tnmtn
12-19-2006, 09:09 PM
congrats on your duramax. i have one as well. a couple things to keep in mind when bumping up the power. it is important to know the weights of what your towing. if towing heavy i drop down the tune on mine. it still tows fine but i don;t have to worry about the EGT's getting too hot and having a meltdown. i run superchips on mine. it has 3 settings and i leave it on the lowest during the week and shift up to the middle or highest for the weekends if the weather is going to be dry. if wet, i leave it alone. the dually wants to spin bad enough as it is when light. i would also consider upgrading your exhaust before tuning it up higher. again to help keep the EGT's down. you might want to check out www.dieselplace.com the folks the are pretty dmax crazy. lots of good advice.
good luck