PDA

View Full Version : even manner now then before

stslawncare
06-27-2001, 12:42 PM
hi guys, big news this morning. today i bought a 6x8 trailer!!!!!!! it was previously used as a pop up camper, he took that off which leaves the frame and tires now. title says its rated for 3,000 lbs, but that was as a camper so dont really no now. it has surface rust in a lot of spots, but i figure some rustolium (sp) or something like that will take care of that, and i also am going to paint it. i plan on putting a wooden deck (1" plywood sound good?) and sides on it. it has wiring (looks good to) but no lights. if im correct at pepboys i can buy full kit for $20. it has a front jack with wheels, and it looks like it has two jacks (left and right) in the back. it has a spare tire and all tires look good. also the deck goes past the wheels, he gave me the covers for the wheels (deckover trailer?) so on the outter sides of the wheels i plan on building tool boxes (big) for gas cans, trimmers, blowers etc. i would make them lockable also and as watertight as possible. it also has the triangle type tongue which i plan on putting toolbox on. so figure 3 good size toolboxes,should hold all hand equipment both powered and non powered, and leaves a good 4x8 area for ride on equipment and push equipment. sound like a plan? looking for good toolbox designs and so on.

LoneStarLawn
06-27-2001, 01:21 PM
The GWR rate is for the axle...so what ever you change (take camper or add camper) as long as the axle is the same the rate is the same. I really didn't think there was an axle rated less than 3500# ...go figure.

stslawncare
06-27-2001, 02:50 PM
i take that back i just looked at titel and its the gross weight

Scag48
06-27-2001, 03:09 PM
My grandpa has a snowmobile trailer that he doesn't use all that much. It's only about 5 years old and in good condition. My cousin has a 4 place trailer so my grandpa just goes with them when they go snowmobiling so I might be able to customize this trailer. It sets up off the ground about 3 feet or so, fairly high so my grandpa and I are going to fabricate a ramp that will make loading my Groundsmaster easier. It is a tilt deck and it tilts down towards (pivot point) and has those front ramps for unloading snowmobiles off the front, but I'm gonna take those off and put tool boxes there, if I buy the thing from him. I'll probably make it so you can't tilt the deck, take the front ramps off, put a slide out ramp on the rear (slides under the deck in transport) and probably tool boxes, trimmer racks, blower racks, all the goodies. It'll be fun seeing what kind of stuff you can do to customize your own trailer. Oh, I forgot to mention. My grandpa's trailer is about 6-7 or maybe even 8 feet wide, plenty of room for the Groundsmaster and about 10 or so feet long.

script
06-27-2001, 04:01 PM
Scottie, Just wondering if maybe the deck should be 2x6 boards instead of 1" plywood. I'm sure the plywood would be strong enough, but I was thinking that maybe the 2x6 boards would last longer. I could be wrong, but just me thinking outloud. Sounds like a fun project.

Bobby

Eric ELM
06-27-2001, 04:42 PM
What ever you put on the floor, get treated lumber so it will last. Most treated lumber will last 20 to 40 years. :)

stslawncare
06-27-2001, 05:19 PM
is the extra expense of treated lumber that essential if i will only be using it for about 2 years max? i figure bigger the better, this light duty small thing will not last long for i plan on moving in big time when i get my drivers license. anyhow this will be stored inside, and not used full time, 2.5 days at the most.