PDA

View Full Version : gas edgers

sleona
06-27-2001, 02:18 PM
I see many lawncare companies using their trimmers to do their edging rather than get a gas edger for the job. Most, if not all of these guys do an excellent job at keeping the edge straight and leaving a good gap between the sidewalk & turf, but I was curious as to what some of you think of using that technique.

Do your customers prefer to see you using the right equipment for the job? Or do they care as long as you do the job right?

Thx,
Sean

scottb
06-27-2001, 02:21 PM
Mine dont care how you do it as long as you do it.

PrimeGreen Lawn
06-27-2001, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by scottb
Mine dont care how you do it as long as you do it.

Coulden't agree more. Whatever works for you as an LCO.

jeffyr
06-27-2001, 04:17 PM
Who says a trimmer is not the right way ?
Necessity is the mother of invention. And since money is a necessity...and time is money.....and the trimmer saves time.......the trimmer is necessity.......or something. (I can justify most things that I want) :cool:

I call it the flexible string edger. The first edge of the year is with a real edger and then it just takes up garage space while the flexible string edger saves time and keeps the dge clean.

jeffyr

script
06-27-2001, 04:41 PM
I don't think my customers would care if I used a pair of scissors to edge the walk as long as it leaves a clean straight edge. Personally I use a stick edger and find it is quicker and leaves a better edge, but I don't think it should matter what anyone thinks about your process for doing the job. As long as it looks good!

Bobby

gogetter
06-27-2001, 05:29 PM
Keep in mind Sean, that those guys may have hit it with a stick or walk behind edger already and are just cleaning it up each week with a string trimmer.
So technically it was done with the "right equipment" originally. At least that's what I do.

TJLC
06-27-2001, 07:35 PM
I use my stick edger everytime and then go back over it with my trimmer to smooth out anything the edger might have missed. I'm not that good edging with a trimmer,so for me, a stick edger is a necessity.

CMerLand
06-27-2001, 10:22 PM
We use a tanaka edger every week and use that as a marketing tool for new clients so they know they are getting the job done with the tool designed to do it. Sure I can flip over the weedeater and trim a great line, in fact we have to on asphalt driveways and belgian block curb. Teaching employees how to do this is a little more difficult as it takes a bit of practice to be able to do it well. However for poured concrete we edge with a blade. Time savings is negligible, quality is perfect each and every time and doesnt depend on having the "guy thats good at it" being there every week.

Does this mean I'm right and your wrong? No, but to certain clients that little "edge" might get me the client instead of you.

CMerLand

D-Man
06-27-2001, 10:31 PM
I recently bought a Echo 2000 stick edger and it was way underpowered. I bought it to clean up some newly acquired walkways that had mud and zoysia heaping over the edges. I tried my string trimmer but it was useless on the dirt. I bought the edger thinking it would work better than me with a shovel. Actually the concept worked well but the Echo kept bogging down and the guard kept getting packed full of mud. Maybe the larger (engine) edger would work better for those 1st cleanups and the trimmer could be used to maintain it in the future. Damon

http://www.Reasonablelawn.com

jeffyr
06-28-2001, 07:13 AM
It sounds like you were asking a Yugo to do the job of a tractor trailer (mud and zoysia !). I wouldn't blame the stick edger for that--sounds like a push edger like a scag or little wonder with a 5 horse would have been the right tool for the job. From what I read most don't own push edgers and most don't need them, but rental stores do rent them and for jobs like you had maybe it would have been worth it over buying a smaller tool (no maintenance on a rental either).

jeffyr

charlesw
06-28-2001, 04:27 PM
I use a edger when needed, but if you have a good edge you can get but with just a trim. :) Just make it look nice, that's what it's all about.