PDA

View Full Version : So how's business?

JimK
06-27-2001, 01:29 PM
Jim at TURF Magazine here. The tv "talking heads" told us all spring that the economy was slowing down. Then gas prices were going to shoot up to $5 a gallon. As publisher of the industry's magazine ... I'd like to know from you ... now that high summer is here, how's business? Up? Down? Same?

scottb
06-27-2001, 01:43 PM
For me its getting better gas prices going down my accounts are picking up mostly due to word of mouth. Around here we are loosing a lot of mfg. jobs mine included but service jobs lawn care included are bountiful.
Keep up the Good work with the magazine I look foward to it each month.

kutnkru
06-27-2001, 01:58 PM
Although gas went up close to .40 cents per gallon, our Maintenance Division has been on a continual growth spurt. The employees have not been dissatisfied with the hotter spring temperatures, and have enjoyed the overtime which has accompanied them.

Landscaping has been mainly for enhancements to existing scapes, and design work is at a lull for us. Hardscapes seem to have been the point of interest from most of the Residential requests we have gotten thus far this season.

All in all we continue to flourish, and Im concerned if there will be enough juice left in the guys for the rigors of snow removal- LOL!

I too enjoy the magazine and look forward to seeing the overstuffed mailbox.:D

Hope all is well with you and yours,
Kris

Scag48
06-27-2001, 02:40 PM
Business is going great here! I don't think the economy has dropped much at all. Although my community is in the dying industry of apples, I'm still getting retired customers and other people who aren't related to the apple industry. New homes are being built with the aid of Seattle money (as we like to say ;)) and jobs are still availible there in the summer home "market". They will pay for ANYTHING they don't have to do. I'm a little concerned with gas prices, though. We have our own pump for our tractors so I use that, but we have to refill it sometime and that can be quite expensive. Market saturation is an issue everywhere. Everyone and their brother has a business but in some aspects that helps us. Sometimes it's nice to know that there are good LCO's out there, but there are a few in my town that have a bad reputation and that's what's getting me more jobs. I enjoy reading Turf magazine and look forward to reading it every month. Keep up the good work!

65hoss
06-27-2001, 03:13 PM
Business is going well. Gas prices have been falling and customer spending hasn't changed. If anything, the customer spending seems to be up a little this year. I have more people wanting to schedule things for this fall. Looks like fescue seeding and landscape renovations will be better this fall.

script
06-27-2001, 04:13 PM
Gas is down to about $1.36 gallon and customer base has increased slightly over the past few months. Haven't lost any customers nor have I had any complaints about rate increases, so I guess everything is pretty good here.

Bobby

Toroguy
06-27-2001, 04:57 PM
Things are busy here Jim. The weather has created a grass growing bonanza. The rain has turned into heat, and now it is beginning to "brown".

As far as economic influences, no effect on me. Sales are 15% ahead of my 15% growth target. I am paying higher prices for some misc. equipment, otherwise things appear the same as last summer for expenses.

Eric ELM
06-27-2001, 05:19 PM
We are getting dry here too. The lawns that are not watered are starting to brown up. :(

We have had plenty of work, but with no rain things will slow down. The gas got up to $2.09, but has dropped to $1.45 here, so that is great news. :)

Keep up the good work at Turf Jim. ;)

TJLC
06-27-2001, 06:17 PM
For me, the hotter it gets the more work I get. It never fails. People seem to come out of the woodwork this time of year, and want you to mow their lawn, for one reason or another. Fine with me! So, yes, for me business is good. Hope everyone else is also doing well.

jnjnlc
06-27-2001, 06:38 PM
I was getting a little concerned a couple of months ago. With the gas prices rising, the temp rising and the no rain in site I was sure that things would slow down. But we have done really well. I have picked up several new contract customers in the past couple of months and am in the middle of a large landscaping project. I guess I was worried for nothing. I hope the good fortune continues. I know we are stuck with the temp but some rain and lower gas prices would be nice.

Enjoy the mag, Jim. I look forward to it each month.

Thanks.

MATTHEW
06-27-2001, 08:06 PM
Great mag-that TURF! Here in Oh. things are really
slowing down. No rain in 3 weeks where I live. I
skipped several lawns this week. The tire marks from
last week were yellow. I have been getting home at
3:00 and going swimming. Feel a little guilty. Next
month the invoices will be smaller. But I needed a
little break after the huge spring.

cp
06-27-2001, 08:25 PM
As this is my first season, I can not complain.
Finishing up on some landscaping jobs and have picked up some commercial jobs that will definately bring in some good money soon.
Starting a 81 lot subdivision next month. Gas prices are hovering around $1.50 for reg.

OH:blob3: I almost forgot, received my first copy of TURF, GREAT MAG, just hate seeing the EXPO ad and know that I can't go this year.

Wife says goto pay for the new toys first...:p

Chip
06-27-2001, 08:34 PM
Good year here. The only complaint is the customers are a little slower to pay. With all the rain we have had the grass is growing like crazy.

dhicks
06-27-2001, 08:42 PM
Business is booming: While gas prices have decreased from $1.63 to todays low of $1.52 rain has kept us busy mowing. We are now selling fertilizations as the rain has caused the nitrogen to leech from the soil. Yippee$$$$

George777
06-27-2001, 08:55 PM
Business here in Bama has been going pretty well. My partner and I will be taking environmental Horticulture class starting July 9th. Our first class is pest control so that will help out with us getting our applicators permit. We have been putting together a game plan on how to maximize our profit for next season. I feel that knowledge is power and the more we learn the more income we will make.

jaclawn
06-27-2001, 09:22 PM
Things are rolling along according to plan.
-Residential spending is mostly on maintenance, and very little upgrading.
-Commercial spendins is also mostly on maintence, however, there is a little upgrading.
-No new equipment purchases here, the last three years were fairly heavy in the capital imporvement column. Taking this year to stockpile some $$$.
-Employees seem a little eaiser to find.
-Many residential customers are getting mutiple quotes.
-Many others are not looking for price, but rather quality and service.
-SOme newly implimented "systems" are paying off with reduced labor.
-Competition is similar to years past, witn a lot of new startups, combating the older, established yard apes.
-Many companies have made a good customer base serving the older generation, as well as the baby boomers. They are getting older, homes paid for, kids gone, and have been at their job for 30 years, and are making some nice coin, and have been good customers. On the flip side of that coin, many are taking to maintenance free living of townhomes and condominiums, and are not a customer any more.

Pauls Mowing
06-27-2001, 09:27 PM
Business here is excellent!! Trying to keep the show going without hiring help. Very busy.

Paul

Paradise Yard Service
06-28-2001, 04:27 AM
65 Hoss is right. Consumer spending up for the first time in awhile. Durable goods, houses, cars etc.. And with a little help from the fed on interest rates we will do just fine! Throw in a little money back from uncle sam in July and the machine will be well primed!

Actually things here have been only so,so for many years,but lawn biz is always good here. Never got the tremendous $$$$$$$$ the U.S. mainland saw over the past few years!

I really have not seen that much negative impact as a whole and the talk of a recession makes for alot of noise and doom-n-gloom which most people seem to prefer to listen to when they turn on the toob.

I say this because everytime I go to say, Costco or Home Depot, customers seem to be very liberal in spending on high priced stuff.

Just my opinion.

Great mag and just read the Lawnsite "In your own words" column on toys in the yard. I enjoyed that post too!

Aloha,
P.Y.S.

MOW ED
06-28-2001, 07:27 AM
Business is good. I'm still cutting every week and some still could be done every 4 or 5 days. Gas prices dropped from 1.80's to 1.43 so profit is a little better. No major breakdowns (and I am not planning any).
The economy has not really influenced my business negatively. It has not been an issue at all. I have seen many more guys running around with trailers this year here also, which tells me there is no problem for the banks to float loans for all of these new Z's that are out there.
Plans are still on to expand next year.

JJ Lawn
06-28-2001, 08:08 AM
Doing well here. With the amount of rain that we have had the grass is still growing good and needing cutting every week. Gas prices have been trickling down for about a week and hit $1.34 gal as of yesterday. Thats a big relief. Still hoping for lower price's.

Jim

David Haggerty
06-28-2001, 08:52 AM
I've been waiting for the economy to slow down. Because of the type of operation I have, I've the reputation as the low-baller. I'm strictly a cutter, not many extras, no hand holding with the customer.
So I upgraded all my equipment this year. I'm looking forward to picking up some of those customers that left me for the "better" LCO
Dave

davesgs75
06-28-2001, 08:52 AM
Business is good here to. Gas prices have dropped to $1.38 per gallon recently. The rain is still comming regulary here, and the grass is still growing fast. I have had to increase the amount of cuts per month in alot of the lawns this season, due to continous rain fall. right now the outlook is good.

JimK
06-28-2001, 11:38 AM
Jim at Turf Magazine here again. Thanks folks. Great input! PMA is what works best (positive mental attitude). And that's what we find at lawnsite ..... thanks again to you, to Chuck, Eric and the rest of the gang.