PDA

View Full Version : 1999 chevy 1500 electric trailer brake hookup

The mayor
12-20-2006, 12:51 PM
Ok here is the problem. Even though my 99 chevy has the trailer package, it is does not come with the big blue wire for the electric brakes. I have the e brake controller connected to to the junction box under the dash. So my question is. Where does the blue e brake wire connect to the truck.

Total.Lawn.Care
12-20-2006, 01:32 PM
Ok here is the problem. Even though my 99 chevy has the trailer package, it is does not come with the big blue wire for the electric brakes. I have the e brake controller connected to to the junction box under the dash. So my question is. Where does the blue e brake wire connect to the truck.

Are you sure you do not have a blue wire at all? On our '95 Suburban, the blue wire is there, just not part of the overall wireing harness. I found ours (along with a white or red wire for the auxillary power) run along the frame from the rear of the truck to the firewall just under the master cylinder. All I had to do was wire it into the seven way plug in the back, drill a small hole in the firewall and feed it through to connect to the Brake controller.

If you do not have a blue wire at all, then come off of the brake controller, through your firewall and run it along the frame back to your plug and wire it in. But you should have the wire there just as I described above.

Any other questions, just ask.

beano
01-09-2007, 09:02 PM
You have to take off the whole fuse box covering under the hood and youll see a red wire and a blue wire with a end on the end of it. The red wire hooks to hte positive post at the corner of the fuse box and the blue wire end needs to be cliped and you have to run a wire from that end to the tail of the truck. Check out etrailers.com, they have pics and step by step instructions. I just had the same trouble thise week with mine.