PDA

View Full Version : Going under sidewalks

bobw
12-20-2006, 04:55 PM
Does anybody have any suggestions for easier/faster ways to bore under sidewalks for getting pipe under?

I've been using the old post and sledge hammer approach, but I seriously need to have a better way.

The trick is that (and get ready for this)... On the sites I need this the most, I have no access to a hose bibb, so tools like borit won't work.

Unfortunately, one of the MURBs (Multi-Unit Residential Building sites) I'm doing poured all their sidewalks and forgot to drop sleeving in.

Any ideas?

PSUturf
12-20-2006, 05:04 PM
I use the sledge hammer / 5' pry bar setup. It usually works pretty well but I only do it once or twice a year. Our install crews usually use the drill on the front of the vibe plow as long as they have room for the machine and 1 bit.

Lawn 'N' Order Landscape
12-20-2006, 05:11 PM
I do the same as PSUturf, hammer and 5' conduit. I know its not easiest or the most efficient but it works. I would also be curious to find out any new ideas.

bobw
12-20-2006, 05:16 PM
PSU - what plow are you using that you have a drill on the front? Around here, we are all using Ditchwitch 100Sx's as its the only thing that fits through gates and is ok with the smaller yards we have here. I'd love to get a better plow, but I haven't seen a different setup that works

Without A Drought
12-20-2006, 06:31 PM
PSU - what plow are you using that you have a drill on the front? Around here, we are all using Ditchwitch 100Sx's as its the only thing that fits through gates and is ok with the smaller yards we have here. I'd love to get a better plow, but I haven't seen a different setup that works

255sx. i've never bored with it, but that's the one, can fit through a standard gate.

i use the fence post and sledge method... works just fine. on longer shots (driveways and water services), we use the a bullet, or mole, whatever you call it.

pg

PSUturf
12-20-2006, 08:14 PM
We use Case Maxi Sneaker. I have also used the Ditch Witch 255sx with drill. Personally I like the Ditch Witch better than the Case. Dingo TX is another machine that can be equipped with a drill. The Dingo's a great machine but it needs more weight on the back end if you're going to run the vibe plow a lot.

Dirty Water
12-20-2006, 08:28 PM
I've dug under 6' sidewalks with nothing more than a sharpshooter and and a bad mood.

You can't just drive a stake under our walks here, it would just smack into a football sized rock.

Most of the times the tunnel under the sidewalk ends up big enough to fit a 6" pipe through :)

Mjtrole
12-20-2006, 08:46 PM
We use Case Maxi Sneaker. I have also used the Ditch Witch 255sx with drill. Personally I like the Ditch Witch better than the Case. Dingo TX is another machine that can be equipped with a drill. The Dingo's a great machine but it needs more weight on the back end if you're going to run the vibe plow a lot.

If you are using the case maxi then it should have a bore unit on it, if not get one!! it will pay for itself MANY times over, we use case mini's and all of them have bore units on them, I would never try and bore without one.

Bigred350
12-20-2006, 09:05 PM
We have a 2" auger bit for a drill. Works awesome just be careful cause if it catches on a rock you could break a rist on a stought drill. I have no idea where we got it but im sure you could search on the internet for it.

How good does the borit tool work.

B&B Lndscpng & Lwn Srvc
12-20-2006, 09:35 PM
I have a vermeer bore rig that can bore under anything. You might look at renting one if you have several to do. Mine is self contained with a 500 gal tank on the trailer and a 50 gal on the unit itself and hoses to reach across ground to refill.

DarkLotus
12-21-2006, 06:18 AM
I've always gone the anger management route of sledgehammer meets banging bar. I got out of the install/service side of the industry just as The Sidewalk Sleever came out. Has anyone tried it? I've sold 2 in the past 6 months to walk in customers and never had the chance to ask them how it was.

http://sidewalksleever.com/

bobw
12-21-2006, 07:25 AM
The sidewalk sleever seems to be just a variation of sledgehammer & pipe. Not a bad idea, but I'm dealing with soil that has been so compacted by construction that pounding through it takes too much time.

bicmudpuppy
12-21-2006, 08:21 AM
When I was in DFW, one of the outfits I worked with had a thing we called a "wonderunder". Looked like a walking leaf blower. It used standard boring rods (down there, we used hollow rods w/ the water attachment). We could bore a driveway w/ water and I've shot many a sidewalk without hooking the water up. Longhorn used to sell them as well. I don't remember the actual brand name and haven't seen one since. It had a winch on the machine to move it down the boring path and you used the guide stakes to set up the rod and then to hook the winch cable to. One guy could load it into a truck and handle it, but it worked best with two guys just like any other rig like on a case or witch.

Vermeer
12-21-2006, 02:48 PM
If you have a compressor this will be a very simple method

http://www.hammerheadmole.com/methods/horizontal_boring_method.htm

Jon

bobw
12-21-2006, 03:11 PM
What kind of airflow is needed to run that mole? Am I looking for a tow-behind or a small consumer sized compressor?

Wet_Boots
12-21-2006, 05:02 PM
Tow-behind. I figured a truckmount would need at least a 20HP engine to have the power to push the air one of these things uses, but that site suggests less air use (http://www.hammerheadmole.com/Specification_Pages/pneumatic_piercing_tools_specs.htm) than I would think. Of course, if some seals wear out on the job, there might be a lot of air power leaking away, and extra compressor capacity could come in very handy.

Vermeer
12-22-2006, 11:06 AM
The smaller piercing tools run from 20-35 CFM at 110 psi for optimum performance. They come with air regulator/oilers that control the airflow and lubricate the tool when in operation.
Jon

Wet_Boots
12-22-2006, 11:44 AM
35 cfm is probably beyond most truckmount compressors. I wonder how far one could count on a two-inch boring missile holding its direction.

Vermeer
12-22-2006, 12:03 PM
I have shot these tools up to fourty plus feet when the ground conditions allowed. If you run into alot of pit run and large boulders I would not attempt that distance. If you are going undersidewalks and driveways you need to make sure you are down 10-12" per 1 " tool diameter. In other words a 2" tool should be 20-24" deep. If you shoot it shallower you run the risk of creating a speed bump.
Overall it is one of the easiest methods to make the short crossing under sidewalks if you do not have a boring attachment on your plow or trencher.
Jon

Wet_Boots
12-22-2006, 12:14 PM
Most of the concrete sidewalks I see are going to be pretty indifferent to what's going on underneath them, so I'd expect to be able to shoot under a sidewalk without starting as deep as 2 feet. Pavers and asphalt would be another thing entirely. Hmmmmmm, now I wonder if there's the ability to use a cable locator on one, if it wanders a bit astray.

Vermeer
12-22-2006, 12:27 PM
You can use a locator on the tool in the following way. Through the tail cone of the tool, a pulling cable can be inserted. You can hook up a tracer wire to the cable and pull it in which will allow you to get the signal to the locator. There are attachments that can be used instead of the traditional tail cone to allow you to pull you pipe in while you are shooting the tool as well.
As far as accuracy some say the active head tools are more accurate or faster. I think it all depends on the ground and the operator. There are alot of tricks of the trade that can be used in the different conditions.. Too numerous to post here. That website has some good info.

Wet_Boots
12-22-2006, 01:31 PM
I asked one rental place whether I could point one straight down and shoot a hole for a well point, and was told "Let us get back to you on that." - still waiting. :)

jcom
12-22-2006, 08:11 PM
We use our 521 locator on our boring bits all the time to track its travels and to make sure we can find it on the other end. Works great.

John

Dirty Water
12-22-2006, 09:11 PM
I asked one rental place whether I could point one straight down and shoot a hole for a well point, and was told "Let us get back to you on that." - still waiting. :)

That was your cover excuse for creating access to endless cheap chinese labor right?