PDA

View Full Version : Sthil Trimmer problems

hobbes
06-27-2001, 04:31 PM
New Sthil FS85 cuts out frquently after warm starts. Pushing it to full throttle will sometimes keep it going, but it will soon cut out again. This usually occurs once or twice after a warm start & then the trimmer runs fine. Tried carb adjusts, spark arrest screen, fuel filter, plugs. I've had minor starting problems with our other 76 & 85's but nothing like this. Of course it works fine when I take it to dealer. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

65hoss
06-27-2001, 08:13 PM
The carbs on the stihls are very touchy. I've had a few problems over the last year with them. The dealer puts a new carb on under warrenty and the problem is solved.

hobbes
06-27-2001, 10:38 PM
65hoss,
What problems did you have that the dealer replaced the carb for you. I've had it to the dealer twice and the damm thing runs fine for him. Did you experience hard starting on your Sthil? All 3 Sthil's we run seem to have a touchy carb. This new one is much worse. I'll be switching to Echo's next season.

David Gretzmier
06-27-2001, 11:18 PM
I had the same thing happen to my fs85. I thought it was the fuel pickup, had it lengthened, then shortened, then the problem disappeared after 6 months . go figure. Dave g

Island Lawn
07-01-2001, 10:57 AM
Hobbes
I have a FS85 as well. This is only it's first season and I have never had any problems with it.
I am just wondering if your problem was resolved.
If so, how?
Thanks

Grasshog
07-01-2001, 11:54 AM
Try a Robin. I"ve been playing with Robins now four 4 years.

Never, never have had any trouble with a Robin product

cutting edge
07-01-2001, 02:21 PM
I bought a FS80 and a FC85 at the same time. The engines are identical. The FC85 is running after no more than two pulls, but the FS80 takes forever to start in comparison. I've taken it back to the dealer and of course it starts immediately there. Drives me crazy! I figure as long as it finally starts running why mess with it.

joed
07-01-2001, 08:24 PM
Hobbes,

I had the same problem with a Stihl FS85 I bought in April. It cut out when it was cold and never seemed to be operating at full power. The dealer flushed the fuel system out for me and then advised me to use a little less oil in my fuel mixture. This helped a bit but not much. Subsequently, I sold the Stihl and purchased a Honda trimmer. An excellent piece of equipment. You should try it out.

65hoss
07-02-2001, 02:45 AM
The problems I had was that if you were trying to edge with the trimmer it would lose power and eventually die. Crank it back up and it would do the same thing again. It would have a hard time running at full rpm's. The dealer put a pressure check on it and found the problem. Basically, it was acting like it wasn't getting enough fuel.

HOMER
07-02-2001, 04:56 AM
I have one too. I've never had a new one that was hard to start but this one is a PITA. Bogs for a while and then finally runs right. I haven't had a chance to take it back but I will soon.

Calvin
07-03-2001, 12:41 AM
Joed,

I'm dumping the Sthils next year, was planning on going Echo, thought the Honda was too heavy. My dealer told me he mostly sells Hondas to homeowners where weight is less of an issue. You don't find the weight a probem? Do you use it more than 2-3 hours per day? Any cutting out when doing straight edges?

joed
07-04-2001, 11:12 AM
Calvin,

The Honda trimmer I bought is awesome. The weight was an issue at first but within a few days, I got used to it. In reality it weighs no more than 2-4 pounds more than the Stihl FS85. The motor doesn't cut out when edging. It's a well-balanced unit and doesn't scalp nearly as bad as the Stihl when you make a mistake. I use the machine for 2 hours a day. If you're interested why don't you stop by Current Power Machinery in Mississauga and speak to Neil. He let me try the machine out in his parking lot and yard. Hope this helps.

cst51
07-04-2001, 05:14 PM
Hobbes,
Sent my FS80 back to the dealer LAST THURSDAY. Mine was having trouble starting after it was warmed up. Also, it wasn't running at full RPM's. Sounded like the spark arrester was clogged, but I took that off last year!! They finally called back yesterday (WEDNESDAY)-6 days later- and said it needed a new carb. and muffler. a total of $30.00 in parts, but they want $130.00 in labor to fix it. Well, needless to say they can kiss my big a$$!! I'm switching to echos right now. Here's the kicker.... I have spent over $1,000 over the last 5 months at this dealer and they want me to bend over so they can stick it elbow deep... I don't think so!!!!!! Not only that they waited 6 days to tell me all that!!!!! I will let them know how I feel when I go pick up my BROKE DOWN FS80

Let's be good to each other
Cary