PDA

View Full Version : What options on enclosed trailer?

Axl
12-22-2006, 10:16 PM
Hey Guys, I am in the market to purchase a PACE SUMMIT enclosed trailer and was just wondering what options you guys feel are necessary for Lawn maintenance/ Landscaping. I currently run a 7x16 open with 1 60in ztr, 48 walk and 21in push. I was looking at getting an 8x18 with 7500lb axles. Do I need the 10000gvwr or 6in extra height? Should I go 20footer?

Prestige-Lawncare
12-23-2006, 10:25 AM
Hey Guys, I am in the market to purchase a PACE SUMMIT enclosed trailer and was just wondering what options you guys feel are necessary for Lawn maintenance/ Landscaping. I currently run a 7x16 open with 1 60in ztr, 48 walk and 21in push. I was looking at getting an 8x18 with 7500lb axles. Do I need the 10000gvwr or 6in extra height? Should I go 20footer?

I too am looking at the Pace Summit for this coming season. My preference would be the 18', with few options from the factory. Many of these things can be added after the purchase for a lot less (i.e. trimmer racks, work bench, overhead shelves or cabinets, etc.)

Let us know what you get ... and share of pics and details too. We all love looking at new equipment.

Dave

nobagger
12-23-2006, 10:56 AM
We just bought a 8.5x16 enclosed US Cargo and it has the extended height (well worth the extra bucks IMO). Honestly, I would go for the 20 footer if you have something big enough to pull it. Ours will be a little cramped this year with the addition of our rider. Also if it has the 3/8" sidewall option GET IT! Its much easier to attatch trimmer/blower racks to that than the luan sides. With the luan sides your forced to drill into the metal braces in order to attatch anything. I think an enclosed trailer is one of the best purchases you can make, it keeps your equipment out of the weather, keeps it safe at night (if locked up) and its a rolling billboard if you decide to get it lettered.

RedWingsDet
12-23-2006, 01:29 PM
Get a 20footer, extended height, extended TOUNG, heavy rear ramp door, plywood interior not the luan, and get the heaviest axles they have.

I have a 2005 i bought brand new, that is a 8x20, and 3500# axles, heavy ramp door, extended height, and thats about it. I regret not doing more reasearch and not getting the plywood sides, heavier axles, or extended toung. But oh well.

Eclipse
12-23-2006, 02:16 PM
Extended tongue is an absolute must IMHO.

How many mowers do you plan to carry?

Axl
12-23-2006, 03:08 PM
Mark-I think that it would be a ***** towing a 20footer around town. Why do you recomend the upgraded axles? extended height? The summit come with the others standard.

Right now I am only carrying a 60" SuperZ, 48"walk and 21" Mower plus all the handhelds.

Eclipse
12-23-2006, 03:17 PM
FWIW - I had an 18ft and upgraded to a 22ft. I do not have a problem pulling it around town.

No matter how big of a trailer you have there will always be times that you wish it was bigger. My 22ft starts to get small with three pieces of equipment in it.

I did not go with extended height. My trailer is 6'6" in the center. This is plenty tall enough in my opinion. Some trailers come standard with shorter interior heights. I would make sure it is tall enough so you are not bumping your head.

Upgraded axles are nice if you ever plan to haul something besides a mower. My trailer is 3800lbs empty. If I only had a 7000 gvw trailer my payload would only be 3200lbs. With three commercial mowers and all the other tools I would have been pushing it.

I went with 5200lb axles (9,999 gvw), HD ramp door, and floor (12" O.C.) this way if I ever want to haul a tractor or car I am able to without worry.

grassmanak
12-23-2006, 03:19 PM
2 3500lb axels are more than sufficent, on an 18footer, unless your planning on putting everything you own in there. I would highly recommend the extended tounge as well though. and a wide side door is nice.

Eclipse
12-23-2006, 03:21 PM
On the side door, I had a 36" door on the last trailer and went to a 48" on this trailer. If I ordered the trailer again I would probably go back to a 36" door. The 48" door can be a hassle sometimes because you need 4ft' of room to swing the door all the way open.

I went wih the bigger door thinking I might build a side ramp but that never happend. The 36" was more than sufficient for my needs.