PDA

View Full Version : liquid consumption

lawnboy82
06-27-2001, 11:04 PM
hey there everyone. i just went out last night. i spent 79 dollars for an igloo cooler, some dry iced tea mix, 36 gallons worth of gatorade mix, and some cups. the gatorade mix is 6.99 a container and only makes 6 gallons. when i work it is me and 2 other guys. what i wanted to know is, how many gallons would be good to make on a normal day? because i dont want to go through this stuff too fast, however i also dont want to have to go to delis and spend more money. any thoughts?

Scag48
06-27-2001, 11:43 PM
I'd say maybe 3 gallons or 4 gallons. I don't know Oz. are in a gallon, but i drink around 40-50 Oz. of liquid on a hot day, maybe more.

geogunn
06-28-2001, 12:24 AM
lawnboy--personally, I wouldn't drink over 50% sports drink. the other 50%, good ole H two O.

GEO

GreenQuest Lawn
06-28-2001, 12:54 AM
On a really hot day I go through about 1 gal of gatoraid myself. Normally about 1/2 gal.

Sean Adams
06-28-2001, 01:30 AM
Good idea. I wonder if there has ever been a poll done at LawnSite asking everyone how much money they think they spend in a day, a week, a month, a year on stopping at stores, delis, etc...buying water, gatorade, iced tea, etc...It will save you time, and not to mention - money, by having liquid refreshment with you versus stopping periodically throughout the day.

Sean Adams
www.lawncaresuccess.com

Vandora Lawn & Landscape
06-28-2001, 06:55 AM
32 oz - quart
64 oz - half gallon
128 oz - one gallon

River Hill
06-28-2001, 07:15 AM
Mama always said "you need you H20" Remeber the movie WATERBOY?

scottb
06-28-2001, 08:00 AM
My mama sai said Gatorade is da devil lol lol lol.

lawrence stone
06-28-2001, 09:20 AM
I have been brewing my own homemade ice tea using the Mr. coffee ice tea maker.

I use decaf tea bags and I add cane sugar and some type of fruit juice or nectar for flavoring.

dr_eggs
06-28-2001, 11:10 AM
It is getting really hot here in Maryland this week and after reading this thread, I just had to put in my 2 cents worth. The potential for heat related injuries really gets high this time of year. You long-timers may have seen the new guy who hasn't been out in the heat so his bady could adapt. They drink coffee and iced tea, soft drinks, or just tell you they aren't thirsty today. Then they get dizzy or light-headed, or pass out, and don't have a clue what happened to them. And they probably believer the old story that salt tablets are good for you in the heat. I've spent a long time working on the issue of thermal stress and have a few observations for the fine folks I have come to respect over the last year who frequent this board.

Your biggest concern is getting enough water--pure, cool water. Even the salt you lose while sweating can be easily replaced by adding salt to the foods you normally eat.

Plain, cool water is the fluid of choice when your actual manual labor does not last longer than 60 to 90 minutes (not riding on a DC or guiding a string trimmer...This is like digging and chopping, and lifting, and carrying.) You don't need an energy source in the fluid you drink to rehydrate. During these normal situations, if you have been working outdoors in the heat long enough to become accustomed to it and you are eating properly, you should have enough energy stored as liver and muscle glycogen to get you through the day with water alone.

However, in some situations where you have been dping physical labor for an unusually long time, sport drinks containing carbohydrates and electrolytes may offer you an advantage. During these situations, you may run low on energy and electrolytes. For example, if you are digging trenches, footings for retaining walls, pushing a wheelbarrow full of concrete, or really exerting yourself physically, you should consider using a sport drink. You could benefit from a sport drink that supplements your energy and electrolyte supply.

There are many different commercial sport drinks available. They contain varying kinds and amounts of carbohydrates and electrolytes. For example, GATORADE(R) Thirst Quencher is a glucose electrolyte solution of about six percent carbohydrate concentration. Exceed(R) is a glucose polymer solution of about seven percent carbohydrate concentration. If you use a sport drink, pick one that has less than eight percent total solids (carbohydrates, electrolytes). More concentrated solutions can delay fluid absorption. They must be diluted with plain water before you use them as a fluid replacement drink. Also, avoid sport drinks that contain fructose as the only source of carbohydrate. Fructose may delay gastric emptying of fluid and cause upset stomach. And fructose must first be converted to glucose before it can be used for energy. This conversion means you can't use fructose as an energy source as quickly as other carbohydrates.

Fruit juices like orange juice should also be diluted if you're using them as a fluid replacement drink before, during, or after the manual labor. Fruit juices vary from 10% to 17% carbohydrate concentration. Dilute them with an equal amount of pure water before you use them as fluid replacements. Of course, when you drink juices at other times, such as with a meal or snack, you don't have to dilute them.

And, if you just gotta have that sweet stuff, anyone who likes Gatorade could save money by making their own version. A home-made Gatorade can be made as follows (adjust the proportions to make howver much you want): mix roughly 93.3% tapwater (7 fluid oz), 3 tablespoons sugar (sucrose/table sugar), 1/16 teaspoon of salt stirred into a preparation of 1 fluid oz. lemon or lime juice. Eureka! You are a Gator maker.

Now take care of yourselves!!!

scottb
06-28-2001, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the advice and the recipe dr_eggs. Might have to try that one my self.

eskals
06-28-2001, 12:56 PM
I understand that plain water is better for you on those hot days, but we still use a weak solution of gatorade. The reason for this is simple. I have noticed on the days that I have Gatorade in the cooler, we drink more than on the days we have just plain water in the cooler.

Eric

summitgroundskeeping
06-28-2001, 08:38 PM
In the morning I run for cross country practice (one of the fastest in the state:D :blob3: ) then have a Met-RX bar and a gator aid, lifegaurd, eat a small lunch, life gaurd again till 3pm, then I mow until like 6:45pm, lifegaurd again until 9pm, and finially I eat dinner. A lot of the time I don't eat that Met RX bar and starve to death. I don't suggest eating like I do it is hard on the body. 6'3" and 163lbs and ripped.

HOMER
06-28-2001, 09:07 PM
Sure Greg...........sure!

I'm 6'4", 235. Ripped from head to toe.

summitgroundskeeping
06-28-2001, 09:19 PM
Hey, you can't be a weak little lifegaurd. It just isn't right.

roscioli
06-28-2001, 10:06 PM
Here is an idea for you rather than mixing it all up to start: Mix it glass by glass. That way if you want plain water, you have it, and you dont waste $$ by dumping lemonade at the end of the day. Just keep the container of powder there, and mix one glass at a time. -mike

1MajorTom
06-28-2001, 11:41 PM
Quote: I have been brewing my own homemade ice tea using the Mr. coffee ice tea maker.

Larry, you don't say if you take that with you to work or not, but if you do, I don't know how you do it.

Tea, basically any kind of iced tea, is my favorite drink. but my gosh, tea makes me pee bad!! :laugh:

If Matt sees me bringing tea into the truck, he says, "You're not bringing that 'pee juice' with us."

Although I guess guys do have the advantage here when it comes to relieving themselves. :laugh:

AVRECON
06-28-2001, 11:49 PM
The way I mix the Gatorade packs are like this. I fill the cooler alittle over half full then pour in the mix then fill it the rest of the way with ice. It we be a little strong tasting at first but as the ice melts it will dilute. :D

lawrence stone
06-29-2001, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by 1MajorTom
Quote: I have been brewing my own homemade ice tea using the Mr. coffee ice tea maker.

Larry, you don't say if you take that with you to work or not, but if you do, I don't know how you do it.

The ice tea maker stays put on the countertop. After you add sugar, juice, and salt you pour the final outcome into the clean sterilized
Snapple bottles then put them in the refrig ASAP.

When you make it yourself YOU control what type of tea, sweetner, flavorings and preservatives you are consuming.