PDA

View Full Version : 1997 Gmc W4 14' Box

mad_wrestler
12-23-2006, 11:33 AM
Hey everybody, once again, your expertise is requested. I found this truck and need your opinion. Here are the specs.

1997 GMC W4 4500 14' box medium duty truck
3.9L 4 cyl diesel
109 in wheel base
Brand new engine
new turbo
new transmission 5000 miles ago
new (4) rear tires
New brakes
No A/C
Exterior cosmetics are good. No major repairs needed.
Interior, Dash board clips and passenger windor handle needed.

Well, there are all of the specs. The guy was asking $7500. What do you all think. What is this truck worth? Is that a good deal? Please let me know. Also, what would it cost to put A/C in it?

Gravel Rat
12-23-2006, 01:43 PM
Keep in mind these trucks have problems with cab rust also the rear suspension the bushings wear out pretty quickly. Also the wheels get problems with cracks. They are good trucks not very fast on the road get used to climbing any hill dead slow. Good on fuel the exhaust brake works pretty good on the 4 bangers. If the engine needed a rebuild already the truck has seen a hard life or the truck has millions of miles on it the 4 bangers get a easy 400,000kms out of them before needing work.

I have a feeling the truck has been run hard if its got a rebuilt engine and transmission.

mad_wrestler
12-23-2006, 04:20 PM
The engine wasn't rebuilt. It is a brand new engine. The odometer has 142,000 miles (228527 km) on it. So at 137000 miles (220480 km) on it the transmission was rebuilt. The truck was used by a flooring company. The mechanic said something about an oil leak for the turbo. He told the guy to stop running it until he got the part in to fix it. A couple of days later the guy had to tow it in. Ran it out of oil. The mechanic bought it for
$2500 (3228.50 CAD). He thought he was gonna make some money by fixing it and reselling it. Then he reallized that the engine was gone. So he bought a new one at $5000 ($6457) and installed it along with the other stuff listed. I have reviewed all of the paperwork and warranty info on the engine. All is legit. So with that info. Does $7000 ($9039.80) sound like a good deal?

mad_wrestler
12-23-2006, 04:21 PM
And the cab has no sign of rust from what I inspected. Also, fortunately where I am at in GA I will not have to contend with crazy hills and inclines too much. Thanks

Gravel Rat
12-23-2006, 04:54 PM
Thats about the most I would pay for one of those trucks but search around and see what your local prices on similar trucks are going for.

mad_wrestler
12-23-2006, 06:23 PM
Anybody else willing to lend an opinion?

DUSTYCEDAR
12-23-2006, 06:53 PM
if u bought a truck with a 100k on it and paid 5k for it and the engine blew u would need to fix it so 7 dont sound to bad i would want it to have fresh inspection on it and a full tank for 7500 lol

Tadams
12-23-2006, 09:10 PM
Any pics of it, Mad? There is a guy in Alabama that deals alot with these trucks. The website is www.awbtrucksales.com. This guy is very helpful and does't mind answering questions about these trucks. I sent you a pm about my dovetail.

mad_wrestler
12-23-2006, 09:43 PM
Thanks T I'll give him a holla. Got your PM and that was some great info too.

mad_wrestler
12-24-2006, 11:55 AM
bump to the top

Lawnworks
12-24-2006, 01:23 PM
I think it comes down to gut feel. It sounds like a fair deal, but you are the only one that can get a good feel for the truck. If you feel like it is a great deal, I would buy it. If you have any doubts I would wait... Jan-Feb are approaching and there are going to be some great deals out there.

Tadams
12-24-2006, 03:13 PM
If you do get it, I would suggest that you put an external transmission cooler on it. If it has a factory cooler on it, I would put a larger one on it in it's place. In 1999 the started using a larger and stronger tranny than the previous years. Does the truck drive O.K.? Shift good? Make any funny noises? Call the guy at AWB- he can tell you what it will take to put ac on it.
Got any pics?

mad_wrestler
12-24-2006, 06:37 PM
I'll get pics Tuesday. There was play in the steering wheel that I had identified to the seller. He is fixing it. All points noted. Thanks for the help everybody.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
12-24-2006, 09:57 PM
Sounds like a good deal to me. Buy it

mad_wrestler
12-26-2006, 01:19 PM
Bump for more great advice

mad_wrestler
12-28-2006, 09:55 PM
Here It Is

mad_wrestler
12-28-2006, 09:56 PM
Here are some more pics of the truck

Rons Rightway Lawncare
12-28-2006, 10:46 PM
You might NOT want to buy this truck afterall..... The wheelbase looks mismatched for that size box. That looks to be the shortest wheelbase Isuzu offers - they offer 3 or 4 different wheelbases - and I think the wheelbase this truck appears to have would be suitable for only a 8 or 10 foot box at the most. In other words, the rear axle is too far forwards, too much truck past the rear axle, especially once you put on a dovetail and ramp.

Otherwise the truck looks okay, the interior looks beat, much more wear and tear and grudge in that interior than any of the used 150-200K Isuzus I looked at when I was shopping a few months ago...

HenryB
12-28-2006, 10:56 PM
You might NOT want to buy this truck afterall..... The wheelbase looks mismatched for that size box. That looks to be the shortest wheelbase Isuzu offers - they offer 3 or 4 different wheelbases - and I think the wheelbase this truck appears to have would be suitable for only a 8 or 10 foot box at the most. In other words, the rear axle is too far forwards, too much truck past the rear axle, especially once you put on a dovetail and ramp.

Otherwise the truck looks okay, the interior looks beat, much more wear and tear and grudge in that interior than any of the used 150-200K Isuzus I looked at when I was shopping a few months ago...

That wheelbase is really not matched to the box length. It doesn't look safe. Get an opinion from an experienced truck person.

Gravel Rat
12-29-2006, 12:35 AM
That truck is dangerous and its borderline illegal it was way way too much overhang that box is too long. You get enough weight on the back it will lift the front wheels right off the ground. You would never beable to haul anything in the box you will never get enough weight forward. Even if a heavy load slid backwards driving down the road there is a possibity it could make the truck loose steering.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
12-29-2006, 04:52 AM
Well the truck has been driven 142 thousand miles, so it can be driven.... But sure doesn't look right to me.

Lawnworks
12-29-2006, 07:28 AM
I have an isuzu box truck... and the mismatched wheelbase and box is what drew my attention. A 4' dovetail will not help that problem.

Tadams
12-29-2006, 10:03 PM
I have to agree with the other guys, that truck looks a little off. I drag the dovetail sometimes on a steep driveway but I don't think I would want to add a tail & ramp on that. Have you had it checked out yet? Do you know what the wheelbase length is?

mad_wrestler
12-29-2006, 10:25 PM
Yeah, I measured it the other day at 109 in. I am glad that you guys reascerted the notion of the box being too big. I have had mixed responses here in town. There is another one that I could get. It is a 1992 with 127,000 miles on it. It has an 18ft box without defects. When I drove it, everything went well. Started fine, no smoke, no leaks, rough interior(as always), new A/C, New tie rods, and brakes. We drove it with a full load and it drove great up and down hills....I am also going to keep looking. Oh, the guy selling that one is asking $5000.

Lawnworks
12-30-2006, 09:57 AM
18ft box is BIG... I have a 16t and I wish I would have gotten a 12ft.

Uranus
12-30-2006, 10:20 AM
Wheelie time

mad_wrestler
12-30-2006, 11:54 AM
Here is a PM that I sent , however, I think it needed to be posted as well....Thanks everybody...

I run a 48 in Exmark HP ZT and a 36 in Walk behind. Would the 12 footer be sufficient? What do you run? I want to be able to have a little room. Too much of a tight fit and my guys would probably start banging up stuff. What do you think. Thanks in advance. I think you and everybody else has saved me some money. By the way, on the 18 ft box. I run and 18 ft open trailer and a 16 enclosed V-Nose and I like the room on the 18 footer. Thanks again