View Full Version : Weed B Gone

06-28-2001, 12:59 AM
Hi guys,

I was wondering if I should apply Weed B Gone to my customers lawns?How much should I charge for this. And does it work well? Does it harm the lawn at all and is there any speacial techniques(SP) tp putting it down.

06-28-2001, 01:13 AM
grassey--I would think that you would need an applicators license for this. also I think there are better products available. for example: lesco momentum.


06-28-2001, 01:18 AM
Are you licensed to do lawn applications? Ortho Weed B Gone will
work but a Three Way herbicide like Riverdale Triplet or Lesco's
Three-way would be a much more economical choice.

06-28-2001, 02:00 AM
From what I was told I dont need a licencse here from how im doing it. I know I can't even get a license even one if I wanted to. But customers request it and I tell them Im not licencesed. I would only do this on 1 yard and the rest family. I would only charge for my expenses and not labor. Thats what I do. I just make there yard grow so i can cut it weekly and get rid of the weeds so it looks nicer. I figured that would be legal. Is this? maybe I should stop.

Sean Adams
06-28-2001, 02:13 AM
I think you should check with your state's Department of Agriculture. The way you are applying this product is in a commercial manner and therefore, as the others pointed out, it would seem you would need a license. If it is important to you and your clients that the lawn looks good (which is a good thing...), and if you are unable to obtain a license, maybe you can look into subbing this portion of your service out to a qualified, certified company. Better to be safe than sorry. Good Luck.

Sean Adams

06-28-2001, 03:00 AM
It works I put some on my yard to rid it of a couple of clover spots, but now I have some nut grass coming up and a little crab grass here and there so I'll have to get something else for that. The main problem around here is to get a good product to apply you have to drive 2 hours to get it. Then only way I would apply to a customers yard was if it was a older lady that wanted me to but this weed b gone is so easy to use most of it you just hook it up to a hose pipe and spray away. I dont see nothing wrong with spraying it in a customers yard if they wanted you to, license or no license who gives a flip. In this little town I live in you have to pay 105.00 a year just to cut grass and have a city license and the state is only like 20 dollars.

06-28-2001, 08:29 AM
Grassyfras, how the law reads in my state is that if you are getting compensated for spraying then you are required to have an applicators license. Most of the time, I will sub out any large properties and will spray the small ones. They must buy the weed killer and I do not charge for the labor. I am getting ready to take the exam for my commercial applicators license this fall.

06-28-2001, 09:55 AM
State laws regarding pesticide use/application can be written by the state to be more restrictive than federal law provides for. Unfortunately, in this case, if you are not licensed, you cannot apply pesticide for commercial purposes.

Besides even if you could, do you want the liability associated with pesticide applications? Should you kill a customers yard or garden plants or even the neighbors plants from drift or run-off, you are liable. Be prepared to get you checkbook out.

06-28-2001, 10:30 AM
a tip . you may get a large fine as in thousands of dollars.
but the biggee is you wont be allowed to apply for a licence
in the future. this was told me by a friend of a friend who got caught here in nc.are they watching teenagers out in yds with
sprayers. um could be

06-28-2001, 02:41 PM
People we are talking about weed b gone here. You can buy it in any store like wal-mart,k-mart,lowes,homedepot, anywhere. You dont have to mix it you just hook it up to a garden hose and spray. I dont understand the big deal, he was talking about sparying maybe one customer and the rest family. Hey if im standing in my mother, brother or any of my family spraying something they bought at at local store no body better not say nothing to me.

06-28-2001, 08:08 PM
You can buy all the good stuff at a WalMart or a Home Depot. The state of PA can fine you $10,000 for spraying without a license. The only exception is if you are spraying your OWN lawn. Anybody elses property and you are probably in violation.

Grassyfras, the Weed-b-Gone is not a fertilizer, its a 2,4-D derivitive that kills broadleaf weeds. Just watch it, my brother in law killed his entire lawn by spraying 3x's too much of this.

Be careful!

Got Grass?
06-28-2001, 08:28 PM
I just tell my customers I can apply only fert. That you need a licence from the state to apply anything else, and that I dont have a licence becasue I want to keep thier cost down becasue it costs a lot to get one. I tell them I can do everything but apply it. I'll pick up the product, loan you a spreader, and set the proper rate, but thay will have to walk the lawn. Or I'll just refer them to a licenced applicatior.

06-28-2001, 08:53 PM
It don't make a rats butt if you can buy it at Dollar General, if it contains a herbicide or insecticide you cannot "legally" spray it or spread it. You can buy Roundup and ant poison at Wally World too but you can't spread it or spray it on anything but your own property.

Per the State of Alabama.............and probably a lot more.

Just cause you can purchase it does not make anything legal when it comes to commercial applications.

If you need more verification then call this man:

John Belcher
Supervisor Professional Service Section
Dept. of Agriculture, State of Alabama

I'm sure he'll clear anything up that may be a little cloudy........he did for me!:angry:

John DiMartino
06-28-2001, 10:20 PM
Grassyfras,just sub out the applications,dont expose yourself to the pesticedes for free.The risk is high,since your young and inexperienced that you'll spill some ,or get in contact with it,you may contaminate ground water while rinsing-and you might get fined 10K.They are all good reasons to hire a pro.If I were you,Id only spray after you get a license,and for profit.

06-29-2001, 01:10 AM
I think you should measure the lawn then get however much of the stuff you need and spray it. I also think that if you are a kid trying to make a few bucks doing lawn work, thats a heck of alot better than selling DOPE!

06-29-2001, 01:21 AM
Thats another thing how many people are going to fine a 14 year old 10k for spraying something from a garen hose. Just follow the instructions and you cant hurt a thing.

Columbia Turf
06-29-2001, 03:00 AM
GRASSYFRAS,,,You really opened a can of worms with this one!! DONT DO IT. If you are really a professional lawn care operator, you will abide by the rules and regulations of the state. It may not seem like "doing one yard and for family" is "COMMECIALLY" but it is. I would subcontract it to a licensed fertilization company. They could probably do the job labor and material for not much more that you could buy the fert and broadleaf product anyway. I know I will not make to many friends with this statement but, the responses you got show how unprofessional scrubs can be in this business>

lawrence stone
06-29-2001, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by jasonp
Thats another thing how many people are going to fine a 14 year old 10k for spraying something from a garen hose. Just follow the instructions and you cant hurt a thing.

The Dept. of Ag will not fine the 14 year old, they will fine the parents. If he does enough damage the 'customer' (what kind of customer does business with a 14 year old?) will sue the parents and
have a judgement placed against the parents house.

Unless you check the profile you have no idea if the question is
asked by a real LCO or a 14 year old pimple faced dreamer.

06-29-2001, 10:56 AM
I can just picture a chubby 14 year old... pimpled faced dreamer, 20 some years ago (young Lawrence Stone) bag of jelly rolls in one hand, jelly smeared on his face going door to door looking for lawn work. And look at you today, you made it Stone why can't Grassyfras?

Grassyfras if you have a customer that doesn't want to pay for a professional applicator to service their property, explain to them you can't legally do that type of work and suggest that they get one of the many do-it-yourself kits from a garden shop and take care of it themselves. Good luck to you and don't be discouraged by others caustic remarks!

06-29-2001, 01:36 PM
Hello guys. Thanks for all of the replies except for one that refereed to me as a fat pimple faced 14 year old. I am a 15-year-old and I could sell dope if I wanted to but I donít want to. I know that Weed B Gone is just a weed killer and not a fertilizer. I have applied fertilizer for my own yard (parents yard) many times. I have also used weed B gone before. One client that is elderly asked if I could get rid of his weeds. SO I just wanted to help.

Now about this subbing out the work how does that work? I do know a few LCO's, if thatís the right term, in this area. I personally think that some of these guys out here have fewer clues about what there spraying (TRUGREEN) I do know a little about chemical herbicides and pesticides. We do get a good education out here so they do teach this at school at times. Theirs always the Internet, also a lot to learn there about chemicals and what not. But anyway I see fert. COís fertilize in the rain and then put a weed killer down. We all know that doesn't fly. Right before it rains.

So to get to the point do not refer me as some fat kid that mows lawns. And please explain more on subbing out the work. Will I make any money on this?

Thanks guys

John DiMartino
06-30-2001, 09:40 AM
Grassyfras,you hire the chemical co of your choice,if you use them regularly,you'll get discounted prices,then add your 25% or whatever markup,and bill the customer yourself,you get paid,cut check to Co that sprayed.This is about liability,the certified applicator has all the liability here,you be sure to check his license,make sure its current,and write down his certification #,and make sure his catagory is the right one for turf.Lets say you decide to do it,accidentally let the hose drop in the tank,and town water goes down at the same time(it's happened),now the pesticides backflow into the main water system feeding your town.Not likely,but possible,especially since you might not know you supposed to have an anti-backflow valve on your hose,and keep it out of the tank.If anything serious were to happen,or even if your spray drifted and hurt neighbors flowers ,shrubs,or worse yet,interfered with any bees in the area,you are in trouble.Your parents will be living in cardboard boxes after that one.If i were you i wouldnt do this,if you decide to I sure wouldnt poost it here that you did it,since you never know who's lurking on this site(DEC).

Premo Services
06-30-2001, 11:03 AM
Good points John!!!

I think this would be something like Murphys Law
Always try to think about the result of what you are about to do. If you are not experienced with job, you need to do some serious thinking. :rolleyes:

06-30-2001, 11:35 AM
Do it my friend. One yard isnt so bad. Chance of being nailed is slim. Now dont get to ecited about it and run all over town spraying. Its a fine home owner product. Use a dail srayer. Cost ten big ones at the Big K-MART. Do it in two apps. Two weeks apart. Good Luck my friend.

P.S. if a dude in a little white pick-up pulls up and gets out.

06-30-2001, 01:46 PM
Thanks guys for your replies. Im going to look into this a little more and talk to some people too.

06-30-2001, 02:56 PM
DDT is "JUST" a herbicide, AGENT ORANGE is just a herbicide
Why don't you read the msds label and make you own choice.
I'm sure you won't need to follow any of the PPP or PPE
items.They are only there for the pro sprayer.

Samurai WeedWacker
06-30-2001, 08:33 PM
Even if the weeds die, they live long enough to produce many seeds. I recently switched to Confront which does work. The County Weed and Pest office sells it at cost. Of course, you have to be licensed to get stuff from them.

Hey guys! I'm licensed but not insured! The state of Wyoming doesn't require it. I hate insuarance companies.

Will you make any money? I don't know, can you take in more bucks than you spend?