PDA

View Full Version : A few enclosed trailer questions..

jajwrigh
12-26-2006, 08:45 AM
I am leaning towards getting an enclosed trailer for all of the obvious advantages over an open trailer. I have some questions about axles and size though. I think 7' is as wide as I want to go and am looking at lengths between 12' and 16'. Right now I only have 1 ZTR, but I could see a walk behind potentially joining it in a few months. At what point with weight wil dual axles be advantageous over 1? Do you guys have any advice on the lenth of the trailer? It will be stored in my driveway for now as well. Thanks in advance for the help.

Eclipse
12-26-2006, 09:22 AM
I would get an 8ft wide trailer. When you start hanging stuff on the walls 7' will get narrow. If you want to haul two mower I would consider at least a 16'.

In that size the larger axles are probably not that important depending on the dry weight of the trailer.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
12-26-2006, 10:46 AM
The single axle enclosed trailers overall are not built nearly as sturdy as the tandem axle trailers.

Eclipse is right, a enclosed trailer with stuff on the walls does get tight inside to move around in. A 8 footer is not too bad, but of course you have to be careful towing it as it takes up almost the entire lane going down the road.

Eclipse
12-26-2006, 10:52 AM
A 8 footer is not too bad, but of course you have to be careful towing it as it takes up almost the entire lane going down the road.

I was thinking this as well before I purchased a trailer but the axle width is the same for an 8ft and a 7ft. Either way you are taking up the same width on the road.

The only disadvantage with the 8ft that I have found is the 8ft is harder to see around but a set of towing mirrors solved that problem for me.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
12-26-2006, 11:08 AM
Wide trailers are super nice i am running 6 feet wide trailers and they are tight to move in but they are the the same size as the truck and you don't have to check your mirrors as often.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
12-26-2006, 11:08 AM
Well one disadvantage to any enclosed trailer is they are HEAVY!!!! My last enclosed, a 7x16 footer weighted 4000 pounds empty.... for comparison my last open trailer a 6.5x16 footer weight right at 2000 pounds empty. To tow a good sized enclosed trailer, you will need a pretty stout truck and be ready to watch your MPG going down the drain!

I personally did not like using a enclosed. I only liked two things about them, the security for my tools and a place I could go to pee on a job without worry about someone seeing me tinkle in the bushes!

2k1yzfr1
12-26-2006, 11:15 AM
I purchased a 8x20' Pace Summit enclosed trailer almost 3 years ago and have had 3 other people in town copy my trailer, because they say it's layout is perfect. I would get 2 3500 axles with atleast a 14', make sure you have atleast 1 fuel door on the curbside, extra 6" height is a must if you are over 6', a set back jack so that you can drop your tailgate when your trailer is attached, and if I was to do mine over again I would get a 48" side door. What brand trailer are you looking at? The Summit price is considerably more, but all the standard options are aimed directly at landscapers.

2k1yzfr1
12-26-2006, 11:19 AM
[QUOTE=Rons Rightway Lawncare] To tow a good sized enclosed trailer, you will need a pretty stout truck and be ready to watch your MPG going down the drain!
QUOTE]

Thank god and DC for the cummins. :clapping:

Eclipse
12-26-2006, 11:22 AM
Well one disadvantage to any enclosed trailer is they are HEAVY!!!! My last enclosed, a 7x16 footer weighted 4000 pounds empty.... for comparison my last open trailer a 6.5x16 footer weight right at 2000 pounds empty. To tow a good sized enclosed trailer, you will need a pretty stout truck and be ready to watch your MPG going down the drain!

4000lbs seems very heavy for a 7x16 (my 8x18 Haulmark and 8x22 Interstate are both less than that) but I do agree they are heavy and you do suffer a loss in MPG's because of the weight and because you are pulling a sail. With my diesel I did not notice much of a difference in MPG's with an enclosed but with a gasser I bet the difference would be more significant.

IMHO 3/4 or 1 ton will handle an enclosed better than a 1/2 ton.

One other thing to consider if you are towing it or if you have an employee towing it. With an employee I might shy away from an enclosed or I would at least not buy a top of the line enclosed. It will most likely suffer more damage than if you were the one towing and using it.

The 48" side door can be more of a hinderance than a help at times because you need a good amount of room to open it all the way. I might consider going back to a 36" door if I were to order a new trailer.

The fuel door is worthless in my opinion because around here the hoses are never long enough at the pump to reach far inside the trailer anyway. I just fill cans to fuel the mowers. I might get lucky and be able to fuel one mower if the hose will reach.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
12-26-2006, 11:25 AM
The worst to me pulling a enclosed is fueling the mowers up, it is a job we have to fill cans in the back of the trucks.

nobagger
12-26-2006, 11:31 AM
We went from a 6.5x12 open trailer to a 8.5x16 enclosed and there is definitely more room but it is still a little cramped, and more so when we get our 50" Exmark rider. There are definite advantages with an enclosed trailer, one is, your stuff is out of the weather and can be secured at night or whenever. I can go on and on about the pluses. A friend of mine has a 7x16 enclosed and it's very, very tight in there, to the point where you cant move around without taking a mower or two out. A tandem vs. single axle trailer- tandem's will tow better, stop smoother (trailer brakes) and just all in all a bigger, better trailer to have. 9 guys out of 10 will say they wish they would have gotten' a bigger trailer (myself included) it fills up quick in there. If you still want a single axle trailer somewhere in the 7x14 size I would highly recommend trailer brakes installed, but for the price of those you might as well just bought a tandem axle trailer.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
12-26-2006, 12:16 PM
Yes 4000 pounds does seem heavy, but the place I bought my trailer from is the place that makes them and they overbuild their trailers..... The entire side frames and roof framing was square steel tubing, not metal stamped bows. the roof was one piece, two vents, lots of built in shelfs and racks for the equipment etc.... Yeah if you could see these trailers in various stages of construction and then compare to other trailer manufactors, the one I bought was a tank. Either way they are significantly heavier than a open trailer.

I hate trailers anyway, I would rather spend the 5-7 grand it costs to buy a nice enclosed trailer and buy a boxvan or cabover with a box on the rear and have a dovetail welded on and not pull a trailer at all.