PDA

View Full Version : Grear Dane

smcunningham
12-26-2006, 11:20 PM
looked @ a used Great D. @ the local john deer dealer today...
It was a cheriot[sp] model ZTR 25hp kolher 61" sales rep said it was 5/6 yrs old
the hr meter said 289hrs..........there asking 4999.00$ it.
it does'nt look like 289 hrs more like 5-700hrs i guess its all in how somebody takes care of something.
Does 5000.00 sound right..........i can take some pics tomoorow and post if requested....:confused:

smcunningham
12-27-2006, 12:18 AM
doing some searching and its a side ways mounted kolher....

A.D Services
12-27-2006, 02:12 AM
chariots are great!! have had alot of expeirence with this machine it is a very dependable mower that leaves a great cut.are the steering bars between the legs of are they over the lap? you say 5-6 yrs, sounds a little high IMO but lets see what other people say. if you do buy it consider it money well spent

tshank
12-27-2006, 03:29 AM
It was a cheriot[sp] model ZTR 25hp kolher 61" sales rep said it was 5/6 yrs old
it does'nt look like 289 hrs more like 5-700hrs i guess its all in how somebody takes care of something.
Does 5000.00 sound right..........i can take some pics tomoorow and post if requested....:confused:

Sounds way out of line. Have sold 2 Danes, one like you are looking at, 61", 25 horse, 150 hours in '03 for $4500, could possibly have gotten a little more if willing to wait. This is the time period when the Kohlers were causing some problems, the old style deck will clog in 15 min. in the juicy stuff. Ain't worth the hassle. Machine didn't sell for but $5999 to start with. The dealer said when selling a machine with low hours, hours times $10 dollars - purchase price= sell price (in this case $2900). Some machines will bring considerably more, Dane isn't one of them. With the age, $2900 could be too much.

smcunningham
12-27-2006, 10:26 PM
thanks for the replies so far:cool2:

smcunningham
01-09-2007, 11:07 PM
pics of the gd 285 hrs

Envy Lawn Service
01-09-2007, 11:53 PM
Nooooooo!!!!!

You don't want that model for one....
And two, that price is WAY OUT OF LINE!!!

Sometimes you can find brand new leftovers for $5-6K NEW

Plus, you do not want ANY Great Dane with the sideways mounted engine. The head and header pipe is so close to the under seat gas tank that they had to put a head shield there for protection. The engines on those were perfectly fine, but due to the mounting position, the engines dropped like flies on those mowers.

I would lay money that the mower has already had the engine replaced or rebuilt twice at this point in hours. In another hundred or so it will need it again too.

It was probably a 'buy-back' machine.... or one that got bought back after a lawsuit. At first, Kohler covered many of these engines until they saw a pattern develop and got wise to it. Then they bucked and Great Dane had to start footing the bill. That unit was also plagued with frame and weld fractures.

All this put a hurting on Great Dane, and very likely was a factor in John Deere buying them up for development and patents. (John Deere later sold Great Dane to ACI/Everride)

smcunningham
01-10-2007, 12:07 AM
thanks envy for advice:waving:

Envy Lawn Service
01-10-2007, 01:54 AM
thanks envy for advice:waving:

You're welcome... and you are also welcome to click a link I'm going to provide to an 'advanced search' with my user name and Great Dane... so you can read my other comments about Great Dane from the past..... So you will be able to read my opinions of their other products and newer products.... and also so you will know I'm not just some guy who likes to bash Great Dane... as you'll find I don't think they are all bad.... just this particular model is the worst...

http://www.lawnsite.com/search.php?searchid=1388018

And here is another link to a search I did for you with the keyword Dane and the user name of an 'effected' owner of these exact machines. (MowerDude)

http://www.lawnsite.com/search.php?searchid=1388043

And this is what his looked like after 600 hours and two new engines

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2793&stc=1&d=1032016001

smcunningham
01-11-2007, 01:05 AM
envy, I've read enough of your posts to know your not one to just bash on particular brands for no reason at all...i value your advice and experience........................Thanks again.....
shane

Daneman
01-11-2007, 11:31 AM

If I were interested, which I doubt I would be, I wouldn't pay any more that 2500$ that is and old machine, and Envy's statements are pretty accurate.
If you can get it for 1500 to 2k, that sounds much more in line. Dealer at least could have cleaned it up first.