PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather guys

DanaMac
12-27-2006, 07:28 AM
Since some of us don't work much in the winter due to snow and cold, what have you gotten done this winter that you've put off during the busy seasons. I've been busy with projects at home already.

New Deck off back of house
New kitchen sink, faucet, disposal
Replaced kitchen light with track lighting
Replaced 6 other ceiling lights
Installed a couple dimmer switches
Bought laptop and moving all info to it from desktop
Upgraded QuickBooks for first time in 3 years
Bought and installed XM radios for me and girlfriend

And the blizzard kept me busy clearing snow for a day. Now I need to dig out the work truck as I covered it in with snow. And we get another possible blizzard Thur/Fri. I still have 18" sitting in the yard, and 6' piles all around. I can't see my compressor, it looks like a giant snow pile. I'm not complaining about it. I love the snow!! Although a cable broke on my snowblower and the now the local Ariens dealer is closed for the week for inventory!

I did have a guy call the day before the blizzard, left a message that his system needs winterizing. He had moved in recently from warm weather and didn't realize what was needed. I got the message a couple days later, and hadn't called him. Figured there was nothing I could do anyway.

Anyways, Happy Holidays.

koster_irrigation
12-27-2006, 07:40 AM
Do you guys put anything in your compressors to winterize the engine?

DanaMac
12-27-2006, 07:44 AM
I haven't, and not sure if need to. When I can get it out, I want to take it somewhere to get serviced and ready for next year. I have been starting it every couple weeks now just to get it running. Since this is my first year owning one (rented in the past) what should be done to it for service?

SprinklerGuy
12-27-2006, 08:14 AM
I'm still using mine 2-4 times per month......I am also curious about service....I plan to drain the gas..mine is not diesel...but what else?

If things continue I will be using it all winter...but summertime not at all would be my guess.

Hank Reardon
12-27-2006, 10:08 AM
I put fuel stabilizer in the tank towards the end of the last day (giving it a chance to mix well) so I know it's in every nook and cranny. I have no desire to drain 20+ gallons of gas from anything.

Besides, I consider it one more emergency source of gas for my generator! (Twenty gallons here, another 5 in there, 5 more here...)

Wet_Boots
12-27-2006, 10:09 AM
You can always add some stabilizer to the gasoline, but that's going to be more important for those little truckmount compressors. A diesel engine, I would just fire up every month or so.

mojob
12-27-2006, 10:42 AM
It sounds like you've been pretty busy around the house. This winter I plan to build a breakfast bar to separate the kitchen from the TV room, remodel the spare bath, which I was in the middle of when the blizzard hit(I've been plowing ever since). I got it painted, new vanity(made a new top for it), and installed slate tile. I also plan to study for the applicators test, but if we have a real winter this year, I might not have time. Oh wellpayup and if I have a spare minute I want to finish the interior on my 1980 VW Westfalia camper.

bicmudpuppy
12-27-2006, 08:48 PM
The compressor......make sure you run it on a maint. schedule. Run it enough to allow you to blow any condensation out at the same time. I like to hook a hose up to the chicago fitting and then let it run wide open until the fitting gets warm. Shut it down, let it cool off and then run it again for a quick period to "dry" any new condensation out from everything getting hot. All the other suggestions are right on par. Fuel stabilizer for gas engines, etc. Call the distributor in you are for your brand and try to put you hands on a manual (oh boy, did I hear the groans there).

We worked through til the week before Christmas (this is week two of not working), so I still had Christmas honey-do's last week and haven't recovered/caught up with all the "some assembly required" yet this week. A few more inside things for the wife, then I tackle the lost cause that has become my garage. If I can find my son's car in there, that is the rest of my winters work. He turns 14 next September, and he thinks I'm going to let him get his restricted license.

That's him in the driver's seat when we first brought it home and I gave it to him for his 8th birthday in Sept. of 2001 Little sister styling in the back :)

Without A Drought
12-27-2006, 11:17 PM
Is that a Porshe?

sure beats the 91 subaru legacy wagon i got in '97.

the 'ru was fun in the snow though.

my winter projects consist of getting my USGA handicap a little lower. (i know they suspend handicaps in the winter, but it's the only time i have to play. thank god for a mild winter in the north east.

pg

DanaMac
12-27-2006, 11:40 PM
Next on my list is to tile two bathroom floors and two entry ways. I need to come up with a project to do during this next blizzard. Maybe at least clean the office and finish year end business stuff.

I have plenty of things planned also, dad coming out for a visit, snowboarding trips (been once so far this year), hot air ballooning trips (with snowboarding mixed in), trip to Montana with maybe a Utah and Idaho detour, and hanging with friends and family more since they get neglected during the busy months.

I know I'm a complete jackass during the busy months, but I just love having an extended 3-4 months off in a row.

bicmudpuppy
12-28-2006, 01:03 AM
The car is a British Leyland Triumph. 1976. The end result of some trading I did back in '01. It's in a lot worse shape than it looks. The interior is trashed and it needs new floorboards. Outside body is actually in pretty good shape. Car was acquired at an impound auction I was told. They left it in the impound yard with the top down :hammerhead: I have the parts to rebuild the alternator (original Lucas). Also came with carb kits. Not going to get used unless I have to. Car runs like a top.

So guys, keeping this irrigation oriented........Would you have given 500' of LD0918 and a handfull of fittings for the car? We did drive it the almost 18 miles home and she idles in 4th at 70 :)