PDA

View Full Version : Is There Anyone Out There?

kkls2006
12-27-2006, 12:22 PM
We Are out of Southwick MA, Just Wondering If There Is Anyone out there from the surrounding Areas?

Uranus
12-27-2006, 12:24 PM
Monson, just over the river.

Uranus
12-27-2006, 12:25 PM
I've been here since June and nobody from western mass and now there are 2 in one week. There is also Mr green jeans from monson too but works out of Ludlow

kkls2006
12-27-2006, 12:27 PM
I wonder if thats because everyone is sitting around not making any money like me???????

Uranus
12-27-2006, 12:43 PM
No cash coming in here either. I've asked other landscapers if they have heard of the site and they say no. 90% of them dont even go online. I thought I saw a chance for some white stuff in the forcast for later this weekend. I dont even watch the weather anymore. Once we get some snow the temps will get colder at night and the rain will turn into snow. YEA!

kkls2006
12-27-2006, 01:04 PM
Ive just about givin up......Ive been contemplating ways to supplement my income????? Read some of your forums "Long hard hours" S&K I Believe? Do you network with anyone in your area?

Uranus
12-27-2006, 01:21 PM
I'm new to ownership. I went solo this year. This is my 8 year of landscaping and have made a few connections in the past years. I do network with Lawn Tech Lawn Care (fert company) I met Dave Elliot though S+K when I worked for them. Dave used to be up at Mountain View before weed man came in. Other than him I'm trying to lay low and not step on anyones toes. I'll let my work do the talking for me until my name has a good reputation attached to it. It was funny in the spring how none of the owners would wave to me and now they are waving before I even see them. My work is 90% in wilbraham and I go into E long and longmeadow for a few accounts. Just mowing and small plantings right now until I can get the manpower then in the future I want to have 2 maintenance crews and a landscape crew doing hardscapes.

kkls2006
12-27-2006, 01:39 PM
We (my Wife & I) own two companies Brozacks Bobcat service (excavation services mostly swimming pools) & Keenkut Landscaping. We are for the most part fazing BBS out And rolling everything into KKLS. We offer all types of services Hardscapes,Small demo jobs,Concrete,Stump Grinding,Plowing,Maintenance (seems to be very hard to grow in this area),Trenching,etc. I work the buis.full time and she has a full time job (for the bennies) but good help is almost imposable to find....you can only do so much by yourself!!!! This site is kind of confusing I'm hoping to figure it out soon????Not to mention I'm pretty bad At typing... We do work in all the Springfield surrounding towns.

Uranus
12-27-2006, 02:04 PM
Lawnsite in a nutshell. KIDS! There are a ton of young people in here that just graduated form dads craftsmans tractor and think they can save the world with a 36" walk behind and a 21". Then there are a handful of guys like you and me. (I know I'm alot smaller than you) Full time hard working guys who want to learn and share expirences. For me now I come here to BS. first 10 minutes is to learn and the rest of the time is for entertainment. You will find that some take it way to seriously. Between say 4 pm and 8 pm is a good time to find real people who want to learn/teach.

kkls2006
12-27-2006, 02:09 PM
How Do I Navigate this site without all The BS?

Uranus
12-27-2006, 02:13 PM
If you click on new post you can refresh it and see what people are saying when they repond or you can go into the home page Forums and pick a topic like heavy equipment or comercial mowing and only talk about those threads that deal with what you choose. I usully just do the new post cuz it gives all the new post for all the topics. I always wondered how others used the site if anyone wants to chime in.

kkls2006
12-27-2006, 02:23 PM
We are not a big company at all. I do most work by myself or with the help of one or two misfits during the busy season. I would like to join force with one or two good landscape contractors to Trade leads, Hire out for labor, Hire out for jobs I have no time for, etc. Seems to me most Landscapers think there SHT don't stink and they are to good for this type of practice. I have owned a Landscaping buis. for ten years +, We own everything we have outright ( Except our Dump truck) Buy working hard and scraping by to re-invest into equipment, I'm a firm believer in having my hands in all projects On the other hand my Wife is a believer in the sub-contracting process. The way things have been over the past two or three years I'm starting to consider her approach is the way to go!!!!!

Uranus
12-27-2006, 02:33 PM
Do you know Justin Haggerty from Crystal Brook? He might be willing to do some landscaping with you on the spiringfield side of the river. I subed him out for 100 ft of raised planter bed stone wall and a 16x16 paver patio with a small sidewalk to a deck over the summer. He has some good help on the construction crew. His maintence crew, well I wont even go there.

kkls2006
12-27-2006, 02:44 PM
Never heard of him....Ive seen a million trucks going down the road (every year it seems like a million more) But don't reconize the name. How buzy do you stay from March to Oct.?

kkls2006
12-27-2006, 03:04 PM
Are people actually listing the equipment they own (or wish they owned) as part of there signature? I don't think you can swear on this site but that's @#^*ing Queer!

Uranus
12-27-2006, 03:16 PM
I worked every day from mid march to december 4th. Took the ocational rain day off but in the spring I mulched or found something to do. I am thankful that business did well for just starting off. I'd like to get up to about 75 weekly mowing accounts and hire somone in the spring.---- It is pretty gay that some post all there equipment they own in there signature. You'll see that some already have a mower listed and then it will say coming in 07, or they are proud of there presurwasher. Go to the picture forum and you will see some stuff that will make you laugh your ass off. To bad I just got a call from someone in agawam looking for plowing, I tossed her info. I would have sent it your way if we met a few days ago. Do you plow Longmeadow? I've been getting a bunch of calls form people on the route 5 side of town. Its just a little to far for me to drive during a storm.

kkls2006
12-27-2006, 03:28 PM
I Plow Residentials In Southwick & Westfield As well as a Doctors office in Southwick And Two Apartment complexes One in Agawam and One in West Spfld..... Time is pretty tight with only one Truck and one Bobcat but thanx for the thought this is the kind of networking I was talking about.... If anything like this comes up in your neck of the woods I'll let you know.

Uranus
12-27-2006, 03:32 PM
Thanks Its nice to know people just outside your area so you can refer people to them. I hate just telling people I dont work in that area and I dont know anyone who does. I feel better being able to send people in the right direction instead of into the dark. Those apts must suck plowing. Do you get alot of people b!tching about the snowbanks and sidewalks? The company I used to work for still has a slip and fall law suit against him going from last year. And sonemone sued the year before too.

kkls2006
12-27-2006, 03:38 PM
I refuse to be responsible for any walks or steps, The apartments maintenance crew are in charge of that. Thank God Ben there done that ***NEVER AGAIN***

The worst part is waiting for people to move tier cars so I can plow Their parking spots. But the apartments make it worth my while.

Agawam413
01-31-2010, 12:00 AM
Don't know if I could take another year of this?
:waving: