PDA

View Full Version : How Did Your Year Go?

DSLND
12-27-2006, 12:31 PM
Well lets see how everyones 2006 season went.

I originally only wanted 10 weekly lawn customers and had no intention on that i was going to make the money i did. That Changed when i started advertising and started getting calls out the wall and began making money and started upgrading equipment as soon as i could. I then got into landscaping and realized that i wanted to do more because of the profits that came out of it were great. I ended the season with 13 weekly lawn customers with yards ranging from 4k sq ft to 6 acres and made a gross profit of over $7k which i think is great considering i basically had to start over with a new business due to split partnership in 2005.

I started 2006 with this equipment:

-5x10 Trailer w/racks
-Toro Z150 w/52in deck (Was Rented, now purchased)
-Craftsman Garden Tractor 50in deck, 48in plow
-Craftsman 21in
-Yard Machines 21in
-STIHL FS 55 Trimmer
-STIHL FC 44 Edger
-STIHL BG 55 Hand Blower
-Rakes, Tarps, Etc.

I ended 2006 season with

5x10 Carry On Trailer w/racks
2002 Toro Z150 w/20hp Kohler V-Twin and 52in deck
1993 John Deere 54in WB w/17 Kawisaki and bagger
Craftsman GT w/22.5 Kohler, Plow,Weights,and Chains
Toro 20055 Super Recycler 21in
Craftsman 21in
STIHL FS 55 Trimmier x2
STIHL FC 110 Edger
STIHL BG 85 Blower
STIHL BR 550 Back Pack Blower
STIHL HS 45 Hedge Trimmer
STIHL MS 250 ChainSaw
Many Landscaping Tools and Misc. Stuff

Im hoping to double lawn accounts next year in the 20-25 range while doing 2-3 landscaping installs per week with a weekly gross of $1200-$1400 and have a full time helper with a truck who can haul me around and work for me. Then when i get my license things are going to sky rocket and be booming in business and hoping by senior year of high school to have 2 crews running. So How'd your year go and what are your 2007 plans? Thanks! -Mitch-

1MajorTom
12-27-2006, 12:36 PM
The weather in PA really cooperated this season. Started early in March doing misc jobs, and worked all thru to the end of November. Couldn't help but have a great year.

DSLND
12-27-2006, 12:42 PM
Same Here. 2005 was a giant drought with very little rain from June to August and then August came around and we got alot of rain and then finished off the season but 2006 we only had one period where everything got a little dry but overall it was great. -Mitch-

Lawn Enforcer
12-27-2006, 02:26 PM
My year went pretty well considering the drought in July, (one week I didn't cut any lawns) Other than that, it went well with all my equipment purchases.

Wells
12-27-2006, 02:34 PM
We also had one of our best years to date, we lost only 3 clients from the previous year, we added another crew in early spring, doubled our clientele by mid May and was once again in the situation of turning down work by early June. I hate to turn away clients but there are only so many hours in a workweek and I had my hands full with this new crew and adding another crew mid-season would of really overwhelmed me.

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
12-27-2006, 03:33 PM
We had a pretty good year all and all. We purchased some good, needed equipment, we were able to get health benefits through the company, and our gross receipts were up by 260%. Although overhead went up, we have already figured out ways of lowering our expenses. Pretty Good Year Overall!

RICHIE K
12-27-2006, 07:09 PM
Year went really good even our new business ( disposal ) is hitting it off

1MajorTom
12-27-2006, 07:52 PM
We also had one of our best years to date, we lost only 3 clients from the previous year, we added another crew in early spring, doubled our clientele by mid May and was once again in the situation of turning down work by early June. I hate to turn away clients but there are only so many hours in a workweek and I had my hands full with this new crew and adding another crew mid-season would of really overwhelmed me.

Sounds like you had a great year, and are building your business nicely. Kudos to you. :)

fiveoboy01
12-27-2006, 10:15 PM
I did well for my first year. I don't have my file cabinet in front of me, but I believe I have 21 accounts.

Gross income for the business was around 9K. Not a bad supplement to my full time-job, at which I gross about 45K not including benefits.

The business officially started in mid-June of '06.

Looking forward, my goal for '07 is to triple my number of accounts and quadruple that gross income number. I think I will meet those goals, but we shall see. It is already looking like a new ZTR(possibly 2) will be a necessity rather than an extra convenience.

And looking forward to '08, I'm planning(wishing) to quit my full-time job. It could happen this year, but I will probably stick with both sources of income for '07.

LemkeLawns
12-27-2006, 10:54 PM
We brought in about 20k more than expected early this spring. We hope to double next year after a five fold this year.

Gatewayuser
12-27-2006, 10:56 PM
My year went GREAT I doubled in size again for the 3 year in a row!
Hope everyone has a great 2007 I know I am looking forward to it!

Wells
12-27-2006, 11:13 PM
Sounds like you had a great year, and are building your business nicely. Kudos to you. :)

Thanks Jodi....Your idea with the post-it-notes really helped out with marketing this year, thanks again.

lawnprosteveo
12-27-2006, 11:18 PM
Made more money overall with fewer accounts. Culling out unprofitable accounts is paying off.

Also my leaf season was much busier. Made quite a bit more over last year.

All of that plus family is healthy and happy...adds up to a blessed year.:)

KS_Grasscutter
12-27-2006, 11:26 PM
Well, a good way to see how my year went is look at my current situation- I am applying for winter jobs at various places because I am BROKE!

Lets see, my BIGGEST problem is buying junk I DON'T need. Also, my savings skills are terrible. As is my marketing.

I thought I was gonna come out damn good on leaf cleanups... lined up about 10 or 15 cleanups. Some of them were easy, came out ok on. Some LOOKED easy, but took forever. Came out REALLLLLLYYY bad on those. All in all, I underpriced ALL of my cleanups, some by like HALF or worse. Lesson learned- don't do cleanups for non-customers, and if i do, CHARGE FOR IT. There for a while I was having a real bad week... almost burned up my Dixon one day (leafs piled up under mower while I was backing up mulching them, caught on fire). Luckily I noticed that, got the mower out of the way, and stomped out the quite large fire. Large, as in I almost called the F.D. Then the very next day I came way too close to putting my Dixon in a creek. Actually had to ratchet-strap it to a tree to get out of that mess.

Ok, there were SOME good things. Ended the year with a almost good equipment line up. Just need to change a couple small things next season (trimmer, and add BP blower). Like to trade ZTRs again at the end of next season though. I came out pretty good on aerating. Also added some new weekly and part time customers for next season. Learned a BUNCH, mostly from all the crap I did wrong, but also from here.

All in all, this year was a good learning experience. If I change some things next season, plus put out a few thousand door hangers, I think I will do real good next year.

1MajorTom
12-27-2006, 11:46 PM
Thanks Jodi....Your idea with the post-it-notes really helped out with marketing this year, thanks again.

Hey, I actually wondered about that a few months ago. glad to hear it helped. :)

Gatewayuser
12-27-2006, 11:53 PM
Hey, I actually wondered about that a few months ago. glad to hear it helped. :)

What is it Jodi? Please fill me in!

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
12-28-2006, 01:22 AM
Well, a good way to see how my year went is look at my current situation- I am applying for winter jobs at various places because I am BROKE!

Lets see, my BIGGEST problem is buying junk I DON'T need. Also, my savings skills are terrible. As is my marketing.

I thought I was gonna come out damn good on leaf cleanups... lined up about 10 or 15 cleanups. Some of them were easy, came out ok on. Some LOOKED easy, but took forever. Came out REALLLLLLYYY bad on those. All in all, I underpriced ALL of my cleanups, some by like HALF or worse. Lesson learned- don't do cleanups for non-customers, and if i do, CHARGE FOR IT. There for a while I was having a real bad week... almost burned up my Dixon one day (leafs piled up under mower while I was backing up mulching them, caught on fire). Luckily I noticed that, got the mower out of the way, and stomped out the quite large fire. Large, as in I almost called the F.D. Then the very next day I came way too close to putting my Dixon in a creek. Actually had to ratchet-strap it to a tree to get out of that mess.

Ok, there were SOME good things. Ended the year with a almost good equipment line up. Just need to change a couple small things next season (trimmer, and add BP blower). Like to trade ZTRs again at the end of next season though. I came out pretty good on aerating. Also added some new weekly and part time customers for next season. Learned a BUNCH, mostly from all the crap I did wrong, but also from here.

All in all, this year was a good learning experience. If I change some things next season, plus put out a few thousand door hangers, I think I will do real good next year.

Thing to keep in mind is that clean ups will usually take you 1 to 2 hours more than you think. Clean ups are tough. We had some this year that looking at it I would have sworn it would take us 4 -5 hours and it would take us 1 or 2. Then others I thought we would be in and out in 3 hrs and it would take us 5 - 6. Always charge more than you think for clean ups then you will probably be close.

J&R Landscaping
12-28-2006, 01:38 AM
The weather in PA really cooperated this season. Started early in March doing misc jobs, and worked all thru to the end of November. Couldn't't help but have a great year.

Gotta agree with that! Jodi, did you have to slow up a bit around August and September? I did a bit due to a slight drought.

1MajorTom
12-28-2006, 01:41 AM
Gotta agree with that! Jodi, did you have to slow up a bit around August and September? I did a bit due to a slight drought.
Yes in August and early September, but it was a blessing in disguise, because it gave us time to catch up on those misc jobs that you put on the back burner until you have nothing more important to do. So August was used to catch up on the back log.

Mean Green Lawns
12-28-2006, 01:42 AM
I passed out 4K flyers in Feb. and started turning away customers by mid March. I added on 70 new customers after keeping 117 of 124 lawns last season. Dont know how many I'll keep this year though. Sending out renewals next week.

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
12-28-2006, 01:46 AM

Yeah, we were kind of in the same boat here. I tell you what though. This fall was definitely more busy than last fall for us. Our season extended by about three weeks passed last year.

Uranus
12-28-2006, 01:50 AM
Yeah, we were kind of in the same boat here. I tell you what though. This fall was definitely more busy than last fall for us. Our season extended by about three weeks passed last year.

I pitty the fool that didn't finish there cleanups in the north east. With no snow yet there is no excuse for not finishing cleanups.

1MajorTom
12-28-2006, 01:52 AM
I pitty the fool that didn't finish there cleanups in the north east. With no snow yet there is no excuse for not finishing cleanups.

Yep, no reason this year to leave money on the table with those fall cleanups. Plenty of good weather to finish them all up.

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
12-28-2006, 01:53 AM
Yeah, in some ways this crazy weather was great. We were out doing clean ups in Dec. wearing nothing but t-shirts. Sure hurts for the snow end of things. Cooler now, but ground temps still has to be high for this time of year.

Uranus
12-28-2006, 01:55 AM
Things will change once we get the first snow fall. Once the snow is on the ground the temps at night will get alot lower bringing frost and more snow instead of rain.

MattsMowing3535
12-28-2006, 02:13 AM
My year was preety good I only blew up 2 mowers! they were free so it doesnt matter. I slowly gathered a few accounts threw the year and I am going to put out as many flyers as I can next year 5-10 thousand. Now all I need is the snow like everyone else up here! Its almost january and its raining!!!! ;)

ALarsh
12-28-2006, 02:31 AM
This year was great. Not going to share numbers but it feels great to be sitting here with all the equipment I need, a nice fat bank account and time off this winter to do what I want in between snowfalls. I think i'm sitting at around 25 mowing accounts who already renewed for 2007 and around 30-35 plowing accounts. Customers have never been happier, I received a nice end of the year bonus from a commercial account, they voluntarily raised price next year and agreed for 2007. This account typically goes out to lowest bid each year.

Business has never been better but i'm still not satisfied. :gunsfirin payup :)

Mean Green Lawns
12-28-2006, 02:46 AM
Yeah it's raining here in Detroit too. Not a good season for us unlike some folk around the country.

BobR
12-28-2006, 09:28 AM
2006 treated us very well (Wife n I), Going into the 10th business year and scaling down as I am getting to the point that free time is becoming valuable. I did not have to drop any accounts as I had already been that route (2001). All of my account reductions have been from folks moving and passing and at this time we have 15 customers they keep us busy and the business profitable. Equipment is paid for (except the 05 3500 duramax) and I just picked up a Skeeter Bass Boat that I expect to spend a considerable amount of time using in the coming years.
Looking forward to an enjoyable and profitable 2007.

BobR

RedMax Man
12-28-2006, 12:51 PM
Very pleased but not satisfied yet. Gross income doubled over last year, much more efficiant than last year and didn't work many more hours. Still made a good amount of money after overhead exp. and paying my helper. Did 195 jobs and worked 243.25 hours this seaon between April and December. Bought many more tools, all commercial and all completely paid off.
Plan on doubling the amount of clients and also more profitable and efficient next season since i didn't have a driver's license this season. Look forward to 2007 and some SNOW.

DSLND
12-16-2007, 11:11 PM
Season is coming to an end, even though i still have clean up's to do! Overall, we had a very good year. Had a drought in August/Parts of September, but we still made good profit, while maintaining a good amount of properties. Ended up grossing double digits and about half of that is sitting in the bank. I plan on getting a truck next summer, pay cash.

2007 Purchases:

-Toro 52" WB (Traded for 36", then sold that)
-STIHL FS 110 Trimmer
-Company Apparel/Signs
-Few Thousand In College Account

2008 Wish List:

-Truck (Chevy/GMC 2500)
-Bagger for ZTR

How was everyone's year?

-Mitch-

ALarsh
12-16-2007, 11:24 PM
Man I am finishing off with a great year. I couldn't ask for it to be much better. I have meet all my goals set at the beginning of the year and it seems like the revenue is just compounding as the time goes on. It is a nice accomplishment having no problem getting work. It really makes you feel good after going through the rough part in the beginning wondering if I am going to have enough work with one Z to being able to turn work away and selectively choose what I want to do.

KS_Grasscutter
12-16-2007, 11:45 PM
This was/is a very good year for me. I grossed at least twice what I did last year. Bought a lot of equipment, will be in really good shape to expand quite a bit next spring. This winter even looks like it will be profitable, which is kinda rare:laugh:. Already had one plowable snow, with another on the way at the end of the week it looks like. Also gonna be busy for another month probably cleaning up limbs from our ice storm. Also established some really beneficial business relationships, which will help a lot next year. All in all, 2007 was a success for me.
Went from this:
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r253/KS_Grasscutter/bothdixons.jpg
To this:
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r253/KS_Grasscutter/lawnrig8-19009.jpg
And finally this:
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r253/KS_Grasscutter/lawnrig005.jpg
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r253/KS_Grasscutter/lawnrig004.jpg
More 07 Pics:
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r253/KS_Grasscutter/pics6-21007.jpg
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r253/KS_Grasscutter/WalkerMCGHS005.jpg
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r253/KS_Grasscutter/WalkerMCGHS001.jpg

EDIT: The willow tree in the 3rd, 4th and 6th picture is currently laying on the ground, covered in ice and snow. Thank god I have my new Stihl 310 to chop it up.

deere615
12-17-2007, 10:48 PM
It was a good year, hopefully get some more accounts next year and many a few bucks payup on snow this year!

lifetree
12-17-2007, 11:22 PM
KS_Grasscutter -- Did you sell that SpeedZTR and the Dixon 30" that you had ?? Also, congratulations on doing so well, I'm sure you worked hard for it ... also, the equipment and trailer you have now looks very nice !!

KS_Grasscutter
12-17-2007, 11:32 PM
KS_Grasscutter -- Did you sell that SpeedZTR and the Dixon 30" that you had ?? Also, congratulations on doing so well, I'm sure you worked hard for it ... also, the equipment and trailer you have now looks very nice !!

Thanks. Yes the Speedztr and 30" are both gone. The 44" got traded on the 50" Dixon, the 30" got sold for $900 in a farm auction. I just wanted it GONE. Used that money to buy part of the trailer.

MOW ED
12-18-2007, 08:31 AM
Hey KS - nice set up. I think you underestimated yourself last year in your post. I sure don't see any "junk you don't need" in those pictures. You are doing something right buddy.:drinkup:
I really like the pickup too, it looks clean. Keep it up. Merry Christmas.

KS_Grasscutter
12-18-2007, 09:26 AM
Hey KS - nice set up. I think you underestimated yourself last year in your post. I sure don't see any "junk you don't need" in those pictures. You are doing something right buddy.:drinkup:
I really like the pickup too, it looks clean. Keep it up. Merry Christmas.

Hey thanks:waving::waving:

Yea, one thing is for sure, I have learned a lot in the last year from the great people on this site, and that alone is responsible for a good part of my success in the last year.

The truck I have is one of the nicer trucks of that body style I have seen. The previous owner took extremely good care of it, there is like VERY little rust on it. Yea, it needs some things done to it, and those are gonna be done over time. I plan on having the truck for quite a while, so I am not afraid to put some money into it here and there. First thing it is getting next summer is a dumping flatbed:).

Mrs. H
12-18-2007, 04:11 PM
I'm glad it's over.

Walker bit the dust, trailer broke, truck is trashed...

Murphy's law was in full swing this year.

Can't wait 'till March. Hope for a lot of rain this winter and get ready to go in the spring!