PDA

View Full Version : PrecoParts.com ------------>BUYER BEWARE

1MajorTom
06-28-2001, 06:31 PM
Placed simple online order with Preco on June 11th. Prior to this, we called them to find out how long it takes for orders to be shipped out. They said, "Order online, and it will be shipped the next day."

We were ordering blades. When we added them to our shopping cart, it did NOT say OUT OF STOCK. Our order was CONFIRMED along with a confirmation number.

We assumed we would have them by the end of the week. No such luck. At the end of the second week, I called them. First they said they shipped them out. When I asked for the UPS tracking number, they put me on hold. Came back to tell me that they were out of stock on the blades. I said, "What do you mean, out of stock. You just said you shipped them out, plus my online order was confirmed." He says, "Listen, I don't handle online orders, I'm just telling you what I know." I told him I wanted to talk to someone else. They put someone else on the phone, and I asked them when they would be getting their blades in. He said that they would get them Monday and ship them the same day.

Well now it is Thursday. I called again. Another run around. Heres how they answer the phone. "Yep". I said, is this Preco? "Yeah" I need to talk to the guy that handles the onlines sales. "Who is this?" I mean, geez, talk about a professional way to talk. They don't even know how to answer a phone.

The "online order representive" is off today. That's what I was told after I told them who I was. I ended up talking to a bunch of different people, all of which have absolutely no clue!! The last person I talked to was the mechanic! I said, "Is this business run out of your home? Nobody knows what is going on." I am fuming about this :angry: I can understand a mix-up, but it is their attitude that is really bugging me. They think this is a joke.

I told the last person I talked to today this. "Ever heard of www.lawnsite.com. Well it's a profressional forum for the green industry, and I plan on telling all the 3300 members what poor service Preco has to offer." He didn't even have a response to that. I told him I am calling back tomorrow morning to talk to the "online order representive", then I hung up.

I mean, It's shipping out blades. Not rocket science.

I swear, I will NEVER deal with this company again. And I hope that this post, at least makes a few members think twice before placing an online order with them too.

lawrence stone
06-28-2001, 06:43 PM
I am about to place a stock order with www.proparts.com

Call and ask for a free catalog. They are a mail order parts division
of a exmark and toro dealer in Salem, NH. They provide oem parts at prices off list. They ship for free on $150+ orders.

The service and knowledge is excellent. Give them a call for your blades.

jeffyr
06-28-2001, 07:30 PM
I ordered with Preco last year and had no problems--the speader was dented in shipping, but they gave me the choice of 15% off or return.
I'll think twice now.

Thanks Jodi.
Thanks for the other link Stone.

jeffyr

kutnkru
06-28-2001, 07:41 PM
Jodi

Not to try to deminish the importance of your dilemma, but isnt telling a mechanic you will bad mouth a company the wrong guy to be venting to??? I have done the same in your shoes prior, but make sure the right channels get the attention this deserves.

I do think that it is pathetic when the ONLY person capable of intellectual thought is the guy near the bottom of their "Corporate Ladder".

On a brighter note I would like to thank you for this "Heads-Up" about what to expect might happen the next time I ordered from them.

I would write the President or CEO a letter letting them know what happened, and that Good News Travels Fast, Bad News Travels At The Speed Of Light!!! :angry: Hence this unfortunate thread. :(

Unanticipated story about them, but not surprised. I think we ALL need to learn from others and our own mistakes.

Kris

1MajorTom
06-28-2001, 10:17 PM
Larry, thank you very much for the link. Will definitely check that out.

Kris, you are absolutely right! What the heck does the mechanic care if I tell 3300 people? BUT, at that time, I just had to vent! Don't worry. I'm calling them tomorrow. And I already plan on writing a letter.

I don't mean to make it like we made this HUGE expensive order or anything. But the bottom line is this, if we would have received good service, then there would have been no doubt we would have continued placing our orders with them.

thelawnguy
06-28-2001, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by kutnkru
isnt telling a mechanic you will bad mouth a company the wrong guy to be venting to???

I would write the President or CEO a letter letting them know what happened

The problem with on-line co's is that as far as anyone knows the above two people may be one and the same, speaking from the phone while perched on the head.

About the best protection one could have dealing with e-trades is a head's up such as Jodi posted. Thanks Jodi.

AVRECON
06-29-2001, 01:16 AM
I deal with this company quite a bit. And sometimes you will get the run around. The guy you need to talk to is Ted, he is THE MAN at Preco. When you want to order talk to him and ask if the product is in stock and can they ship it today. Hope this helps in the future.

Administrator
06-29-2001, 01:35 AM
You can please some of the people some of the time, most of the people most of the time but not all the people all of the time.

Grapevine
06-29-2001, 07:42 AM
I ordered through them and it took forever for the order, and I live in Mass. (they're in Mass.) Plus I hate paying the sales tax on top of shipping. One of the few places that carry a good supply of aftermarket Walker parts.

rdh
06-29-2001, 01:49 PM
jodi
i wonder how much business they will lose.theres a lot of members and lurkers and the new members every day.
they screwed with the the wrong people .i will never order any thing from them.thanks for the info.

rdh

1MajorTom
06-29-2001, 04:17 PM
Update

I called Preco today. Talked to Ted. I said, "I'm calling about an online order we placed. I need to know if the blades have been shipped. If they haven't been shipped, then I am going to have to cancel my order."

Ted says, "Is this how you normally react to things?"

I said, "What do you mean?"

He says, "The blades are out of stock. Is that my fault?"

I said, "No, it's not your fault, but I was told that you would be getting the blades in on Monday, and they would be shipped out the same day. Now they are still not here, and you just keep us hanging on." "Why couldn't you have just e-mailed us in the beginning telling us that they were out of stock? I would have then understood, went and bought a few blades from my local dealer, and waited till you got your stock in. But instead, you just keep giving us the run-around."

He says, "I read what you wrote on Lawnsite."

I said, "Yeah, and you see I didn't distort the facts. I just told it like it was. And did you read the other posts? Seems you make a habit out of giving others the run around too."

He says, "If your lawnmower blows up and you can't cut grass, is it right for your customers to be mad at you?"

I said, "No, because I would call them and tell them the situation I was in. I wouldn't just leave them hanging on!
Now just cancel my order."

And that was that.

Now I just want to apologize to the members out there. I don't like to post negative downbeat posts. It's a lot more fun posting positive things. I just relayed what happened to us. Preco might be a good company. I just think they need to work on polishing their customer service skills.

Administrator
06-29-2001, 07:09 PM
ok, this thread is complete.

Chuck