PDA

View Full Version : Burger King does it, what do you do????

1MajorTom
12-27-2006, 08:23 PM
So I was thinking... today in the mail I got this coupon booklet from Burger King. Lots of "deals" to get you there to visit the King. Buy one Whopper, get one free.... Buy one Angus Burger, get one free. You get the picture. Now quit thinking with your stomach and think deeper.. WHY do they do this? Because come January and February that is the slowest time in fast food sales. Practically everyone is on a diet, everyone has made New Years Resolutions to get fit, and quit eating the junk. So they time this coupon booklet out perfectly, to try to entice you to fall off the diet wagon.

Now, what is the slowest time in YOUR business? For us, averaging out 8 years of business, August has ALWAYS been our slowest month. What do you do, if anything, to attract more sales for your business during YOUR slowest time? Ideas?

chuck bow
12-27-2006, 08:37 PM
Why is august your slowest instead of jan feb i can see why tho if you plow

carcrz
12-27-2006, 08:37 PM
Monthly service agreements. I'm dead tired in the Spring, but get to take it easy the rest of the year. I also start pushing my advertising for Fall lawn renovations.

1MajorTom
12-27-2006, 08:39 PM
Why is august your slowest instead of jan feb i can see why tho if you plow

Sorry, I should have clarified better. December, January and February are not months that we work at all for providing any type of lawn maintenance, etc. I was not considering them in the equation. I was talking from March thru November as the months we are working.

chuck bow
12-27-2006, 08:43 PM
Ok I see now, same here as august drys up alot and as fall rains come back then it starts to kick start the grass again ........ maybe your on to something about giving coupons good only for the month of august

nobagger
12-27-2006, 08:46 PM
I see your point but we honestly really never slow down. In the past few years we have taken probably well under 10 weekends off. I do a ton of up selling and getting more and more customers going to a "phaze" type planning so we stay busy all season with installs and seeding jobs ect. I bet a booklet type form of advertising would get to be very expensive.

BGTIME
12-27-2006, 08:52 PM
why don't you work in the winter months?
Tree trimming, mulch, planting, ....

1MajorTom
12-27-2006, 08:59 PM
why don't you work in the winter months?
Tree trimming, mulch, planting, ....

snow usually is one factor, cold is another factor.

LawnTamer
12-27-2006, 09:10 PM
Who wants to work in winter? I bust my hind end Feb-Nov, so I can spend 10 glorious weeks playing with my kids, putting around the shop and goofing off.
We don't slow down in August, but we have tons of late payers in Late July/Aug. I don't know if it's because of vacations, or back to school expenses.

BGTIME
12-27-2006, 09:11 PM
perfect time to send coupons out. No snow, not too cold

If it dosn't freeze here pretty soon, I might get a small Landscape job out of the way. I just have to make sure the customers $$ will be there.

DuraCutter
12-27-2006, 11:47 PM
So I was thinking... today in the mail I got this coupon booklet from Burger King. Lots of "deals" to get you there to visit the King. Buy one Whopper, get one free.... Buy one Angus Burger, get one free. You get the picture. Now quit thinking with your stomach and think deeper.. WHY do they do this? Because come January and February that is the slowest time in fast food sales. Practically everyone is on a diet, everyone has made New Years Resolutions to get fit, and quit eating the junk. So they time this coupon booklet out perfectly, to try to entice you to fall off the diet wagon.

Now, what is the slowest time in YOUR business? For us, averaging out 8 years of business, August has ALWAYS been our slowest month. What do you do, if anything, to attract more sales for your business during YOUR slowest time? Ideas?

Well, I went through that thought process years ago, and yes, even when we cut, I have 3 cube vans servicing decks with deckmaster, stucco work and landscaping, and several other vehicles doing painting, cleanups and several other vehicles supervising.

It turns out lawncare is only the entry to doing all the other services we offer. Home shows are the best to get to residentials for painting, spring cleaups but "no lawncare for residential" cause they pinch the pennies too much. Then, great work and management companies round out the cement, demolition work...

Sounds like a lot, but mostly I work one or two hours at each site and share supervising with office manager. All in all, lots of fun to go to various jobs all day. It's actually fun and great money maker. I love the bobcat work a lot, fun...

Mean Green Lawns
12-28-2006, 02:56 AM
I'm feeling the same way.. There are a few websites out there that sell projects homeowners register on looking for bids. I think I might pick up a job or two before spring hits if the money is right.

Coupons..

I put coupons on my flyers the first year and that about the only thing that got me customers. All but about 5 called about the coupon. lol
This year I offer 1$ off to both homeowners every week for every referral that joins up to 10 and as well as 50 $'s off the season to pre pay with Visa or MasterCard.

topsites
12-28-2006, 03:49 AM
Let me tell you what just happened to me, then you can decide what is good for your business:
- I found an ad on a Web site for a '95 Dodge SLT 2500 Ram Magnum (read: BIG Loaded rig), for $2,500, located in Boston Massachussetts.
- I made a few calls, got the cash together, printed the ad, the directions, and headed for the airport (I am in Richmond, VA).
...- Just in case you're wondering why I would do this, Kelly Blue Book lists the Trade In Value of this truck in fair condition at $2,700...
Private party value in fair condition is $4,000, and retail is $4,000 - $6,000.
(Yes, the truck is in fair condition).
- I left Richmond early and got to the Dealer at 10:00 am or so, then waited several hours due to various reasons while things came together.
- Several hours into it, one of the employees pointed out to me an ad from another Web site which listed the truck at $3,800.00
- So I showed him my ad and we both looked kinda stupid until the owner got back to the shop, not much I could do but wait, and hope for the best...
Because the truck was WORTH the 3.8k, which I did not have and could not get, no, not even next day cuz I don't got 3.8k lol.
- But when the owner got back, he agreed to let me have it for 2.5k because of the ad I had seen / printed.

Well, you know what?
That was real cool cauz he could've just said that ad I found was a mistake he made, and I would've had no choice but to fly back to Richmond empty handed, and having wasted a day and several hundred $$$$.

But he did not do that, because he's an honest man.
Whether I would've took the loss myself is another story, but at the least I do my best to never attract customers with false or missleading ads, and certainly not on purpose.
Now you look at it from the other side of the fence, and perhaps it's not such an attractive option.

Burger King is a large corporation, if they want to experiment pissing on their customers, then that is their choice because they can always run MORE Tv ads *and* give away like a million free meals later as an apology, if that were necessary.
As for me, I can not afford to do any of that.

topsites
12-28-2006, 04:00 AM
ooops, i think I read your thread starter wrong,
too late, can't delete / edit.
sorry

jeffex
12-28-2006, 09:38 AM
August is my slowest month too [besides jan. feb.] . I do power washing and actually added lawn services to that business. Many times I will save shrub trimming for the month of Aug. and schedule mulch work for that time. One year I did window washing and was amazed at the demand for this service. You could design your coupon booklet to give a discount on add on services and make The biggest discount for those who schedule Aug. services. 10% off Aug. mulch services or now introducing Summer window washing services for the month of Aug. etc. You might consider the monthly news letter marketing technique. I believe this to be an effective reminder for your customers of either monthly or seasonal changes or up comming services they didn't even know you did. Its a way of selling by explaining the value of the service. For example, a March news letter is a reminder of pre-m crabgrass preventer and its bennys to the lawn as well as spring clean ups. Send out your summer news letters before people go on vacation to book services before they spend all their money. my 2 cents