PDA

View Full Version : Little Wonder leaf vac "demo"

lawnprosteveo
12-27-2006, 10:15 PM
A customer talked me into renting a Little Wonder leaf vac today (his expense) to see how it would do sucking up acorns, leaves, etc...

I had been curious as to how they work. Overall, I'd give the thing a C +...maybe a B -.

What I did like...the way it picked up stuff off of driveways and sidewalks.
What I didnt like....having to stop the engine, take the bag off, empty it, put it back on and resume. Just not as fast as blowing and hauling in tarps.

Also it didnt really pick the acorns all that well.

All in all, I dont see me ever buying/using one.

Uranus
12-27-2006, 10:25 PM
Thats a good way to not get littlewonder to sponsor lawnsite. Good info though. I have a couple accounts that get loaded with acorns and wondered how they worked on them. Thank you for answering one of the many thoughts in my head.

lawnprosteveo
12-27-2006, 10:27 PM
Sorry Little Wonder....I love your truck loaders and big blowers....just no use for the vac.

As for the acorns...I used my bp blower to get in something of a pile..then a rake and scoop shovel!

High tech? Not at all, but effective.

nobagger
12-28-2006, 07:03 AM
A customer talked me into renting a Little Wonder leaf vac today (his expense) to see how it would do sucking up acorns, leaves, etc...

I had been curious as to how they work. Overall, I'd give the thing a C +...maybe a B -.

What I did like...the way it picked up stuff off of driveways and sidewalks.
What I didnt like....having to stop the engine, take the bag off, empty it, put it back on and resume. Just not as fast as blowing and hauling in tarps.

Also it didnt really pick the acorns all that well.

All in all, I dont see me ever buying/using one.

We bought one a few years ago and I bet it has only 15 hrs on it topps. It has its purpose but leaves are not one of them unless they are bone dry. We also bought the 12ft extension hose for flowerbeds and they do work well there but again only if its dry out! We use it more now just for flowerbeds and mostly for cleaning sidewalks and areas where we need to do a nice clean up after mowing (clippings,twigs ect. off of the pavement).

HydroCutter
12-28-2006, 09:56 AM
Once the engine was stopped, how hard was it to empty the bag? I have an older Little Wonder, 8HP which is great. I blow leaves into a pile and suck them up w/ the vaccuum. It's just the sippered wool? bag is hard to unzip and dump. That is the most time consuming part of the deal, but beats bending over and putting them into barrels. It also crushes up the leaves and the bag holds more than a green barrels worth of leaves. The little wonder looked like it had an easier bag to empty. Just wondering if it's true.

nobagger
12-28-2006, 10:04 AM
Once the engine was stopped, how hard was it to empty the bag? I have an older Little Wonder, 8HP which is great. I blow leaves into a pile and suck them up w/ the vaccuum. It's just the sippered wool? bag is hard to unzip and dump. That is the most time consuming part of the deal, but beats bending over and putting them into barrels. It also crushes up the leaves and the bag holds more than a green barrels worth of leaves. The little wonder looked like it had an easier bag to empty. Just wondering if it's true.

Unloading the bag is easy, its held on by a strip of velcro at the front of the housing and there is a band of canvis type strapping material to sinch it up around the housing. It literaly takes seconds to unload, it says it's supposed to hold 90lbs but at about the 70lb range it starts to fall off.

pugs
12-28-2006, 10:38 AM
Canvas strap? Huh, I just had a customer come in and show me thats what his has too. He was complaining about it a bit. He bought it from another shop down the street that has since stopped dealing with lawn equipment. His was bought earlier this year too. We just started with them in the middle of the year and the HPV that we got had the steel band clamp. And I ordered this guy a new bag and it came with the steel band.

So I dunno if they used some canvas one for a while or what, but I would go down to your dealer and see about getting the steel one. He said that it made a huge difference in keeping the bag on.

nobagger
12-28-2006, 11:11 AM
Canvas strap? Huh, I just had a customer come in and show me thats what his has too. He was complaining about it a bit. He bought it from another shop down the street that has since stopped dealing with lawn equipment. His was bought earlier this year too. We just started with them in the middle of the year and the HPV that we got had the steel band clamp. And I ordered this guy a new bag and it came with the steel band.

So I dunno if they used some canvas one for a while or what, but I would go down to your dealer and see about getting the steel one. He said that it made a huge difference in keeping the bag on.

Its almost like a "thumb lock" tie down strap but on a smaller scale. I imagine the steel strap would hold better around the lip on the top housing. Ours does ok, it only came off a few times and blew stuff around until it shut down,no big deal though.

Tharrell
12-28-2006, 04:27 PM
Can't you just look at those vac units and tell they aren't for hard core leaf jobs? I have a Snapper and I bought mine for parking lots and "minor" leaves.
Anyone should be able to look at them and see their limitations.

Ron's Lawncare
12-28-2006, 06:05 PM
Thats a good way to not get littlewonder to sponsor lawnsite.

that's ok Billy Goat is here with real equipment.

lawnprosteveo
12-28-2006, 08:12 PM
The bag was easy to take off. It also fell off one time, which sucked! I found it a little tough to get back on...you had to hold it up and in place and then get the latch closed which tightens the bag to the frame.

Like I said, not for me.

NEUSWEDE
12-30-2006, 11:08 AM
that's ok Billy Goat is here with real equipment.

Ron,

Nice wirte-up in Turf on your demo of the billy goat walk behind blower. I was looking at them and your really sold me on them. Unfortunately my local Billy Goat dealer closed Dec 1st without warning (Don's Turf Depot) gonna have to make the hike to FM Abbott from now on. Anyways looks like you had fun playing with new equipment and it is always good to see another Mainer doing it!