PDA

View Full Version : removing or cutting shield on echo 261t

bstroman
12-27-2006, 11:21 PM
ok, echo people bought a 261t last week and I want to remove the shield. Any thoughts or maybe cut it back to get more line out. I have to say echo trimmers are hard to start. This things takes 5 to 8 pulls to get running unlike my husqvarna 323l it will fire on the first pull everytime.. O well

Uranus
12-27-2006, 11:29 PM
I moved my guard up the shaft on my redmax about an inch and a half. Get more string out. I dont think the guards work anyways. You going to hear all about warranty.

smcunningham
12-27-2006, 11:31 PM
take all of mine off more versatile...but more dangerous:hammerhead:

Scagguy
12-27-2006, 11:45 PM
ok, echo people bought a 261t last week and I want to remove the shield. Any thoughts or maybe cut it back to get more line out. I have to say echo trimmers are hard to start. This things takes 5 to 8 pulls to get running unlike my husqvarna 323l it will fire on the first pull everytime.. O well

I was picking up a new 261T today. After the dealer put gas in it, it took 10-12 pulls to get it running. We let it sit about 20mins, took 9 pulls to get it running again. I asked for another unit, as I wasn't about to leave with this one. The next one fired right up. The dealer said to me that the non-adjustable carbs have been an issue.

Damian
12-28-2006, 08:55 AM
I don't know what this shield looks like, but what about drilling a couple of holes closer to the edge and moving the blade out to them> I'm going to try that on my older shield for that same purpose.

ed2hess
12-28-2006, 05:19 PM
If you want to keep the shield on then just grind off the 1.5" lip that holds the cutter blade.

Jason Rose
12-28-2006, 06:09 PM
unlike my husqvarna 323l it will fire on the first pull everytime.. O well

Ok, sorry this isn't about an Echo, but I own a 323L (new spring '06) and it's the hardest starting machine I have! Takes 4 to 8 pulls almost every time! Not to mention it pulls very hard compared to other brands. I love the Husky otherwise. Wonder what's wrong with mine???

As for Echo, I have an Echo edger and BP blower. I couldn't be happier, they both will start on 1 or 2 pulls 95% of the time, both are seeing some years on them now too. And for the guards on ALL my trimmers... OFF THEY GO! I can't stand using a trimmer with a guard on now.

02DURAMAX
12-28-2006, 06:54 PM
I have an Echo SRM-261T and mine takes 3-5 pulls every time, I bought the trimmer in april of 06 and now it wont run unless i have the choke half way...:confused:...Does anyone else have this problem???:dizzy:

Rons Rightway Lawncare
12-28-2006, 08:55 PM
First of all, I have used echos for years. I went to the new Kawasaki trimmers this year and I would not go back to a echo in the future. The Kawasaki is more powerful, lighter weight, and cheaper to buy.

As for guards, use them for a day or two to get them dirty, then take them off and store someplace out of the way. If your trimmer breaks and is under warranty then go home and put the guard back on and go get it fixed! I remove mine before I ever use the trimmer, I could care less about warranty on a cheap trimmer.

For hard starting echos I found the easiest way to start them is to put it on full choke and hold the throttle wide open and pull till she starts. Once running leave it wide open and then turn off the choke and presto! Should start much easier this way. I always started the echo at full throttle, even hot.

ed2hess
12-28-2006, 09:03 PM
I have an Echo SRM-261T and mine takes 3-5 pulls every time, I bought the trimmer in april of 06 and now it wont run unless i have the choke half way...:confused:...Does anyone else have this problem???:dizzy:

If it is a problem on the high end then take the plastic cap off the adjusting screw on the backside of the carb and adjust it. I don't think there are any spark arrestor in these larger Echo units but might check that. Be sure to check that the carb is tight on the cyclinder. There was one report on line site about a carb problem on a brand new unit so might check with dealer.

02DURAMAX
12-28-2006, 10:58 PM
If it is a problem on the high end then take the plastic cap off the adjusting screw on the backside of the carb and adjust it. I don't think there are any spark arrestor in these larger Echo units but might check that. Be sure to check that the carb is tight on the cyclinder. There was one report on line site about a carb problem on a brand new unit so might check with dealer.

I called my dealer and they said that on the new Echo Equipment you need to run no lower than 89 octane fuel, Is this true??:confused: ....and if that did not work that i need to get the carb cleaned.

tomgolfs44
12-28-2006, 11:03 PM
was told the same thing by my dealer on the 89 octane (after having a carb kit put on a 4 month old 261T). Have been using the 89 octane ever since on my mix fuel and the trimmer and blowers (also echo) are running perfect now.

02DURAMAX
12-28-2006, 11:25 PM
I guess i'll be taking my Echo to the dealer for service.:cry:

LCPullman
12-29-2006, 02:13 PM
You do need to run 89 octane gas.

We run almost all Echo equipment. I would say that there is other equipment out there that starts easier, but we like our Echos and they are actually still very easy to start.

First thing in the morning, it may take 6-7 pulls, full throttle, full choke to get the engine to fire up. Once its fired, you maintain full throttle and take choke off. For best performance, you ease the choke off slowly, giving the engine time to get plenty of fuel.

After that, one or two pulls on a warm trimmer (full throttle) will start it. If its been a little length of time, like over lunch, you may have to momentarily put it on choke.

In cold weather, it will take longer to start first thing in the morning and it takes longer for the engine to warm up once its started and it cools off faster. So, it may take more choking.

When you start it, you should always be starting it on full throttle.

If it takes 4 or more pulls when its warm with choke on, then there is something wrong with the carb and it needs attention from the dealer.

ed2hess
12-29-2006, 04:12 PM
I called my dealer and they said that on the new Echo Equipment you need to run no lower than 89 octane fuel, Is this true??:confused: ....and if that did not work that i need to get the carb cleaned.

We hardly ever run 89 in any 2 stroke but I do clean the ports every 6 months. I also put in new air filter, breather, fuel filter, spark plug at least yearly. I pull the carb and replace the guts after about 15mo. usuage. The clutch shoes go about one year. If you buy all Echo stuff you could swap out the carb and tell immediately if that is your problem. I would change as much stuff as possible before I took it in and make sure they know what you changed. If is very important if it is under warranty. Be absolutely sure there is no water in the system and the cut off guard is on the machine. Two years warranty, with parts only on second year i think.

JC Landscapes
12-29-2006, 05:13 PM
Two years warranty, with parts only on second year i think.

Echo warranty:
1 year parts and labor for commercial use
2 year parts and labor for home use

also most all 2cyc equipment manufacturers recommend 89 octane, not just echo

Gbug
12-29-2006, 08:51 PM
Take that guard off, once you do you'll never go back. It makes edging sooo much easier...and if you're worried about stuff getting thrown in your face, I honestly haven't really noticed a difference since removing mine.

ed2hess
12-30-2006, 09:39 PM
Echo warranty:
1 year parts and labor for commercial use
2 year parts and labor for home use

also most all 2cyc equipment manufacturers recommend 89 octane, not just echo

Yes you are right about the warranty guess I was thinking about the coverage for coils and flex cable which goes a little longer. The good news for me is that I have never needed a second year warranty on the 260 series.

S man
12-31-2006, 12:30 AM
I don't know what this shield looks like, but what about drilling a couple of holes closer to the edge and moving the blade out to them> I'm going to try that on my older shield for that same purpose.

What about redmax and stihl shields? My stihl w/ shield is agravating with the blade so close to the string. Can I adjust it to get just a little more string out of it?

mowingtowing
12-31-2006, 08:58 AM
on all of my echo 2 stroke stuff, i fire it up full throttle and full choke, once it fires (usually 3-4 pulls) i back off to 1/2 throttle and then "jog" the choke open and closed a few times. Works for me.
I have had to adjust the carb on my 260 series trimmers but it took care of the poor running issues i had with them.

Damian
12-31-2006, 10:59 AM
What about redmax and stihl shields? My stihl w/ shield is agravating with the blade so close to the string. Can I adjust it to get just a little more string out of it?

Sorry, I meant that model. I use Echo myself. In fact, I use an older shield from another model than what came with mine. It's maybe twice as wide as the current ones. But, I would think that if there is room between the blade and the edge of the shield, it would be possible to drill holes there to move the blade out.

S man
12-31-2006, 01:10 PM
Sorry, I meant that model. I use Echo myself. In fact, I use an older shield from another model than what came with mine. It's maybe twice as wide as the current ones. But, I would think that if there is room between the blade and the edge of the shield, it would be possible to drill holes there to move the blade out.

Yes I know. But was wondering about mine. Stihl has that orange shield that has the blade way too close to the head. I'll try and adjust it.

brucec32
01-01-2007, 12:41 AM
Then it's out of adjustment. Check your manual for the carb adjustment proceedure. Cold it should take 2-3 pulls, warm just one or two.

And remove the shield. And replace it with an Edgit. I've used trimmers for about 15 years now and I work much faster and with less back strain edging with one. I save 5 min vs the old way and 10 min vs doubling back to grab a stick edger after string trimming.