PDA

View Full Version : Kohler Delux Air Filter Kit

Spurgeon
06-28-2001, 10:01 PM
I am supposed to pick up my new Toro Z master tomorrow. I asked my dealer about the Delux Air Filter Kit for the Kohler 23hp. He gave me a price of $203.00. This seems out of line to me. The Toro Part number is 99-4662. Anyone have any idea if this can be bought for less money? If so where? Is this air cleaner worth the extra expense? All replies will be appreciated.

Eric ELM
06-28-2001, 10:10 PM
Is this simular to the Donaldson Turbo Filter?

Keith
06-28-2001, 10:23 PM
Most likely the Nelson filter system. I paid $150 or so for it with a Kohler part #. With Toro taking their share, that sounds about right. This was a year ago too, so the price with Kohler may have gone up.

Stonewall
06-28-2001, 10:31 PM
It's worth that price and a whole lot more.

jonboy
06-28-2001, 10:33 PM
Nelson filters are well worth the money. Savings in standard filters can pay for the filter in one year.

John DiMartino
06-29-2001, 12:13 AM
Do not cheap out here,the extra filter will extend the life of the engine by a substantial amount.Dirty air is the biggest killer of small engines,it gets in the oil,and scores the cylinders.Now the filter will last longer,so your not as likely to let it plug up,and run with it dirty,killing the engine,and power/economy.

MLS
06-29-2001, 01:03 AM
We paid about 195.00 for our nelson filters last month and I think that they will wind up paying for themselves by the end of the year. If you are going to install it yourself then make sure that you use the new valve cover bolts that comes with the filter, as the old ones aren't long enough with the filter attached

Tropical Trim
06-29-2001, 04:40 AM
Sounds like that Nelson filters are great filters. Where can I order them from? Also Elm mentioned the Donoldson filter where can these be found? Thanks for the help.

Eric ELM
06-29-2001, 07:44 AM
The Donaldson Turbo Air Filter (top center of picture) comes standard on the Stainless Steel DC's. It has a Turbo that spins and keeps the bigger stuff out and a cup that the fine dust gets trapped in. The filter itself is a long cylinder type filter. This is pictured in the top center of this picture. The Turbo is out of the picture here, but looks like the Turbo on the Chaff Screen on the left. Does anyone have a picture of the Nelson Filter?
http://www.elmlawnsite.com/dixie_3.jpg

watatrp
06-29-2001, 08:13 AM
Have you tried K&N? I use one on my Kohler. It had a round filter. Just give K&N the dimensions of your filter and see if they have one to match it.

LAWNGODFATHER
06-29-2001, 01:16 PM
that price is fine
I put those filters on all my Kohlers

not only will it extend the life of your engine but it will save maintanece time

I only change them on the riders one a year they do leaves

on the walk behinds they are on the 3yd year still clean

WELL worth the money

get them you wont be disappointed

as far as the donaldson they don't have a mounting kit like the Kohler does for any mower but choppers so don't waist your time trying to make them fit but I know the part #'s to make them fit but to much work

stick with the nelson easy bolt on in 1/2 hour and your done
the donaldson lots of fabrication

BRL
06-29-2001, 02:35 PM
I heard that Kohler sells an adapter part to work with the Donaldson, to help avoid the fabrication mentioned by Lawngodfather.

Keith
06-29-2001, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Tropical Trim
Sounds like that Nelson filters are great filters. Where can I order them from? Also Elm mentioned the Donoldson filter where can these be found? Thanks for the help.

You should be able to get the Nelson through any Kohler dealer. If you have a problem getting parts numbers, I might be able to help you. I don't want to bog down this page by adding a picture I posted last week, so if you want to see the Nelon, go here http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=16296

Evan528
06-29-2001, 09:52 PM
Eric, Have you ever used that mower? ;) Ive never seen such a clean engine exept on a new machine!

LAWNGODFATHER
06-29-2001, 10:17 PM
BRL

the adapter kit is available through Kohler for the older Dixie Choppers and is just an elbow
you still have to fabricate a way to fit

I had to use them befoe Kohler came out with the nelson for the vert. engine but I used the neson on mine the Donaldson ran about $150 and the Nelson ran about $75 so I went with the nelson

If you buy the nelson it is bolt on

if i had a dig cam i would take a pic and show you

but I will recomend the nelson it fit better and is kohler certifide

if you don't belive me try the manufactures site and ask Kohler!!!

by the way the place i got them at sell Dixie Choppers and i think the would know their parts guy can find any part you would ever need Outdoor Equipment but I don't have any mowers from them any more but best parts dept. around

Spurgeon
06-29-2001, 10:49 PM
Thanks for all of the input guys. I picked up my mower today and tried it out. Still have to adjust the scalp rollers but it sure does a good job. Would anyone have the Kohler Part Number for the filter kit. My dealer could only find a Toro Part number. Kohler is not showing anything in their parts for this kit based on the information available to my dealer.

Eric ELM
06-29-2001, 11:29 PM
Evan, I did take that picture when it was new. It's the only picture I could find that was fairly close up of the Donaldson. :)

Keith
06-29-2001, 11:35 PM
If it is a standard CH23 horizontal Kohler, I believe you need Kohler P/N 24 743 22 (the filter kit) and elbow P/N 24 743 25. Double check this, but this was provided on Exmark's site. The CH 18, CH20 and CH22 require elbow P/N 24 743 20 and and the CH25 requires elbow P/N 24 743 21

Tropical Trim
06-30-2001, 03:43 AM
Gentlemen, thanks for your help on the filters. I'll look into it tommorrow. Thanks again!

edward hedrick
07-01-2001, 09:05 PM
I put an Enginaire on my 22 Kohler cost 160 direct from Enginaire.com
put on may1 still clean.