PDA

View Full Version : What customers think when they see...

nobagger
12-28-2006, 07:29 AM
I was just sitting here wondering if customers see things a different way when they see us using all the fancy equipment vs. simple hand tools. We do a ton of work for a fert. company, mostly re-seeds and dethatching type work, I was seriously looking into a power rake/dethatcher/seeder this year because the "old way" is getting, well, old! Usually we would take the ol' Mantis tiller and do our thing then throw some seed down, cover, water then go to the next customer. But would the customer think their getting "more for their money" when they see the fancy equipment being used, or not. What do ya think?

jeffex
12-28-2006, 07:41 AM
Chances are they are not home when you do the work. However, I agree your truck, trailer , and equipment say something about your success. That equates as competence to customers and helps give them confidence in your recommendations. I aerate and seed but I still rent the equipment since I'm part-time. I schedule multiple jobs to reduce my per house cost. I have no maintenance costs or storage. When customers neighbors see the slit seeder and aerator it peaks their interest and adds to many new customers. They will approach me and ask how the machine works and it gives me the chance to sell service. The only people who look for you to NOT use "fancy" equipment are the cheapos .

lawnpro724
12-28-2006, 04:38 PM
Quality work!!!!!! and proffesional appearance. I dont think someone is going to judge you just based on that big fancy mower you have. I think the most important part is a proffesional appearance, truck lettering, uniforms, advertising, and above all quality work and a good reputation. Sure you need that big fancy equipment to get the work done but I see lots of company's with that dont know much about anything but mowing the grass even if they can do that right. Every couple of years I see different ads in the phone book and others gone and different mowing crews out and then gone. I believe its the total package that leads to success. If you have a nice fancy mower and dont know jack sh--t about what your doing and look like a bum do you really think that is the way to success? I dont think so. I see people around here with nice mowers and wore out jeans and old tee shirts out mowing all the time and then there gone. Look proffessonal! Be proffessional!

GreenN'Clean
12-28-2006, 06:07 PM
Alot of people have the mentality that if you drive an old beat up Truck and your equipment looks like it belongs in a graveyard then they think the Company doesn't take care of the Equipment, So they think the Company won't do a good job.

GreenN'Clean
12-28-2006, 06:11 PM
I keep my equipment clean and in good running condition, service them regular and wear uniforms and always do quality work. I usually get comments on both My Trucks/Equipment and the Quality of work. I just like to keep my equipment clean and running condition because the equipment is whats making me money!

prostriper
12-28-2006, 06:56 PM
Buying a piece of equipment for it's "image" will put you in the hole faster than you can dig yourself out. Buying that same equipment because it will be fully utilized and make you more productive and more profitable, not just cause it looks cool on your truck a few times a year makes a lot more sense. But if you have the work to justify it, then I would go for the purchase.

JJLandscapes
12-28-2006, 07:21 PM
Buying a piece of equipment for it's "image" will put you in the hole faster than you can dig yourself out. Buying that same equipment because it will be fully utilized and make you more productive and more profitable, not just cause it looks cool on your truck a few times a year makes a lot more sense. But if you have the work to justify it, then I would go for the purchase.

Only smart person in the thread so far i believe..

MOST(key word means not all and every customer in the world) customers dont care about anything but the finished product they could care less what you are using. If you dont need it or wont put the equipment to good use its not worth it.. Spend the money on something for yourself or family and put a smile on your face not the neighbors face when he sees you using a shiny piece of equipment

lifetree
12-28-2006, 08:37 PM
I agree with GreenN'Clean ... take care of the equipment (i.e.-keep it clean and well maintained) and the equipment will take care of you.

clallen03
12-28-2006, 09:18 PM
I have only been running this thing professionally for about a year and only one of my 27 customers have asked if I keep my equipment clean. My relpy was "as clean as it can be while rolling around in the grass all day" we laughed and shes been a satisfied customer since.

Most of the time when you are doing thing the old fashion way its alot harder work than using new technology. So they might be getting more for their money if you are doing things the old fashion way.

Who knows what they think! We will always think differently from them thats why there are owners and they are workers, two different frame of minds.

jeffex
12-28-2006, 09:49 PM
two different frame of minds is right. Its understanding their state of mind that helps with your business. My brother -in-law can't believe anyone would pay to have their lawn cut and I tell him not everyone is into yard work but they still want their place to look good. Its not that they are lazy. There are many reasons why people pay someone to cut the lawn. He was the one who told me that the lawn business would never work. HAH!!! I can't keep up with the demand.

J&R Landscaping
12-28-2006, 11:14 PM
I don't think that it is totally necessary to have a brand new truck and brand new mowers but, it does help to have newer equipment that runs properly and is clean.

My truck is a 94 Ford, its not the newest but it don't leave an oil spot out-front of the customers house either. (knock on wood!!)
Once again, my mowers are not brand new anymore but they run properly and are relatively clean. (I'm not as hard core with the washing and waxing as some on LS but they are clean.)

It depends also on what type of services you are selling and who your target market is. This goes hand in hand with your appearance (uniforms vs none, long pants vs shorts etc.)