PDA

View Full Version : HOW MANY DO DRIVE BYs ?

jeffex
12-28-2006, 07:55 AM
How many people do drive bys and check out the competitions lawn work ? I picked up a Realtors lawn a few years ago and she remarked how she could tell the lawns I did in the neighborhood. I have converted most of my customers to raising the height of cut and using fall aeration to improve turf conditions. when I cruise the neighborhood I can see the lawn crews who have no idea about turf they just mow and the ones who have some knowledge. Many of the squirt and fert services over treat lawns and the rapid growth requires 5 day mowing that most people can't afford. When they do cut the lawn it is a hassle and they cut below the chlorophyll level and get a yellow lawn. I'm still amazed[and thankful] at how important it is for people to have a stand out lawn . For years I tried to make it seem simple and finally learned to say "just leave it to me" and "here's your bill"

stuffdeer
12-28-2006, 09:09 AM
I don't fertilize, But almost all of my lawns, look great. The one's with Irrigation anyway. I cut mine .5 to 1.0 inche higher, during the Hot season, so they Stay green.

I have recived multiple comments, and new customers due to how the lawns look I do.

Uranus
12-28-2006, 09:16 AM
Around me all the lawn are recommended to be cut at at least 3 inches. That doesn't mean you have to cut at three inches. I'm almost always at 3 1/2 to 4 inches. I agree people are cutting to low, but we can talk about that in the spring. I have to go do an indian snow dance now. :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

kkls2006
12-28-2006, 09:21 AM
Around me all the lawn are recommended to be cut at at least 3 inches. That doesn't mean you have to cut at three inches. I'm almost always at 3 1/2 to 4 inches. I agree people are cutting to low, but we can talk about that in the spring. I have to go do an indian snow dance now. :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

I just came back from doing my dance, Still aint nothin happenin around here yet.....Good luck with that!

jeffex
12-28-2006, 09:35 AM
3" is the lowest I'll cut for tall fescue. I got a new laptop and its easier to be on lawnsite so don't mind my out of season posts!! I hope you get some snow!!

iowa
12-28-2006, 11:27 AM
I don't have time to see what everyone else is doing. You should only be worrying about yourself, who cares what the competition is doing?

RedMax Man
12-28-2006, 11:29 AM

I don't cut under 3". Nothing worse then a scalped, burned, unhealthy lawn. I don't understand a few of my clients who want their lawn cut as short as possible, for some wacky reason they think there lawn will look better and not need to be cut as often. I you cut to low then the lawn get overgrown with weeds, crabgrass and is more prone to get disease. It also looks thin and can easliy be burned in the summer heat.

Ya, i like to keep an eye on what the competition is doing. What i like best is when i'm on a property and another LCO pulls up to the house across the street or beside me and starts working. Kinda funny, we just keep on working and sometimes look over at each other to checkout what kind of tools we use. then when one of us leaves we wave and head off to the next lawn.

Hay if it aint gonna snow lets see the grass grow!:drinkup:

jeffex
12-28-2006, 11:42 AM
I told my son when he worked with us that I take pride in our lawns because other lawn guys will check out what we are doing. We like to stripe lawns for our own pleasure because some customers don't even care.

kkls2006
12-28-2006, 12:01 PM
3", 4", 5", 6", I know you shouldn't scalp a lawn but....

I Didn't think It mattered so much as long as you only cut 1/3 of the blade of grass in a mowing????

topsites
12-28-2006, 12:39 PM
I may notice a competitor's lawn per chance, but as a rule I really don't have the time to be checking into that.

lawnpro724
12-28-2006, 04:25 PM
The only time I even notice another business is when I'm out giving estimates or out with guys working. I dont care what they do, just care that we our doing are job right if the other guys aren't then its the customers decision to get rid of them not mine.

Mic_bug
12-29-2006, 04:38 PM
3", 4", 5", 6", I know you shouldn't scalp a lawn but....

I Didn't think It mattered so much as long as you only cut 1/3 of the blade of grass in a mowing????

:usflag:

Agree..we cut 2.5 to 3 (final cut) and never have issues....I think the higher cuts just bread fungus and mold..

lawnangel1
12-29-2006, 06:30 PM
I do drive by's on MY OWN lawns. I think it is importiant to check the progress of the lawn more than once every week or two, and I also work for a fert company to who I sub my fert work out to. So I also like to check on how well my coworkers are treating my own lawns. I wont go out of my way to check on one of my lawns but if im in the area I will gladly drive by just to see how things are going.

jeffex
12-30-2006, 06:09 AM
Its just a way to check out who is working my territory. Especially in the spring when all the start ups come out. My route is very condensed which is great but it does have its problems. If I don't protect my territory by keeping an eye on competitors and their work I may loose a whole street. I have a good long term relationship with my customers but nothing is forever. I took them away from another lawn service by going the extra mile or created new customers from them watching me in their neighborhood. I believe that customer relations is just as important as quality of cut. I don't want them saying to me "how come my lawn doesn't look as good as so and so's up the street". I use drive bys to simply check to see who is a threat and who has a long way to go. For me it just takes minutes to ride around the whole route and mostly its just paying attention while I'm out working.