PDA

View Full Version : Front casters wobble on my wb

linky
06-28-2001, 11:25 PM
My walk behinds front wheel started to wobble alot when going fast on pavement. It started this kinda suddenly. Do any of you know why this happens? Maybe it is just getting broken in. My old wb wheels do the same but the casters are both bent. Thanks

EJK2352
06-29-2001, 12:06 AM
Linky,
Ever pushed a shopping cart real fast? Kind of the same on your
mower huh? Early Exmark Lazers did the same death wobble on hard
surfaces. Exmark redesigned front casters,they put tapered roller
bearings and a self locking nut so you can put some preload on
casters to stop the wobble. I think your gonna have to live w/
the wobble on your mower. Most walk-behinds don't have any way
to preload the caster bearings. ED

deason
06-29-2001, 01:39 AM
Did you say that it is just 1 wheel wobbling? If it is I would bet that you have a wheel that is not as close to the ground as the other 3. Check your clearances. Try shimming that one down a little.You might find that loosening everything on the carriage then tighten everything back up may fix it.

65hoss
06-29-2001, 06:05 AM
Sounds to me like you need to replace the brass bushing. They are probably worn out. A couple of dollars fixes the problem.

Runner
06-29-2001, 11:17 AM
Don't even worry about it. If it's just a swivel-like wobble, this is practically normal. My walk behind did this from about the time it was new, and probably still does. I'm sure your bushings are probably fine, and I wouldn't worry about any shimming because it's not far enough of to effect any cutting performance. As a matter of fact, I bet it works just fine in turf, doesn't it? Just keep them greased and you are as good as gold.;)

linky
06-29-2001, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the replies. I was just curious. They never wobbled until the mower was three monthes old and runner you are correct they never wobble when on turf.

geogunn
06-29-2001, 02:43 PM
65hoss is right. the brass bushings are easy and worthwhile to fix.

GEO

hobbes
06-29-2001, 06:41 PM
Runner's right, when you run fast over concrete or hard turf the front wheels will wobble even on a newer machine. Doesn't necessarily mean the bushings nead to be fixed.
Linky, in case you didn't see it thanks for the reply on height adjuster rods on floater. Loosened them & works fine now.

Grassman
06-29-2001, 07:10 PM
I bet it's the bushings too. My Bobcats start to woble when the bushings get a little worn. Russ

Alan
06-29-2001, 07:27 PM
Check your tire pressures. If this came on suddenly I'd bet you have a soft tire on the opposite side in the rear. Doesn't have to be very soft to make the front caster light enough to dance when you're on hard surfaces. If doesn't bother on turf because the grass is resilient enough to keep some pressure on the tire

dfor
06-29-2001, 09:32 PM
I agree that it is the bushings, and they should be cheap. I think my dealer porked me, 4 bushings for $30. Just got the bill, he'll hear from me tomorrow.

geogunn
06-29-2001, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by dfor
I agree that it is the bushings, and they should be cheap. I think my dealer porked me, 4 bushings for $30. Just got the bill, he'll hear from me tomorrow.

dfor--I smell bar-be-que. my lesco dealer charged me less than eight bucks for the four bushings. mine were worn but they weren't giving me a problem when I replaced them. I just thought it would be good for the maintainance of the machine.

GEO

linky
07-01-2001, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the response. I think i'll check the price on the bushings. Hobbes i'm glad the adjuster rod idea worked for you.WOW thirty dollars for bushings that seems real high, maybe they're real gold :)

jeffyr
07-01-2001, 12:24 PM
Air is free----cheaper tham bushings so why not check that first? The tire size on those front casters changes with pressure. If one os harder, it will lift the other. Happened a couple years ago to me and tire pressure was the culprit.
\
good luck.

jeffyr

linky
07-01-2001, 02:21 PM
The 1st thing checked was the tire psi.

jeffyr
07-01-2001, 02:24 PM
I guess I missed that....and I guess it didn't work.

Good Luck.

65hoss
07-02-2001, 04:02 AM
The bushings for the encore cost me about 1 buck apiece. Sure on concrete going fast all front wheels will move a little. But you don't really notice it. When the bushings are worn, they wobble enough you notice it real quick.

Lift the front wheels off the ground and move the wheel and shaft back and forth. If it wiggles, you have worn bushings. You will see the play in it.

65hoss
07-02-2001, 04:05 AM
Oh, if the bushings are worn, it does make a difference. You may not notice it right away, but you are changing the geometry. It will let the front wheel tilt in making one side lower than the other. At first you will not notice a cutting difference, but over time as it gets worse you will actually see one side cutting lower than the other. Last time I check, homeowners didn't like that look. ;)

steve225
07-12-2005, 01:32 AM
How do you change the bushings in the front castors of an old 60" turf tracer?
I tried a hammer and screwdriver .
Steve

hole in one lco
07-12-2005, 01:47 AM
i used a socket and it worked like a charm. You got to give it a few good hits to get it started

Envy Lawn Service
07-12-2005, 02:46 AM
dfor--I smell bar-be-que. my lesco dealer charged me less than eight bucks for the four bushings. mine were worn but they weren't giving me a problem when I replaced them. I just thought it would be good for the maintainance of the machine.

GEO

Yet another thing I'm learning to like about doing equipment business with Lesco.

Now if I my piggy-back here as I tried in a similar thread.... I have the opposite problem on my ZTR. My castors are too stiff/tight. My castor fork bearings are tapered roller bearings, which I understand kill two birds with one stone.... in that they require a specified preload for optimum bearing life and the preload helps reduce the wobbles....

But as I said, mine are too tight. So my thoughts were to remove the grease/dust caps and take a round off the jam nuts to free them up some. Well maybe not a full round, but just whatever it takes to allow the fork to rotate a tad more freely.

Am I correct or not?
Should I do this or not?