PDA

View Full Version : Question obout vinyl lettering??

PLS-Tx
12-28-2006, 11:34 AM
We're having our enclosed trailer lettered today, and I'm thinking about doing the truck at a later time to match the trailer.

My question is, if I sell the truck in a few years, how do I remove the residue from the lettering?

Is it even possible to remove it all? I've seen alot of trucks running around that have had the lettering removed and you can still tell where the letters were.

The truck and trailer are both white if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

N&CLandscaping
12-28-2006, 11:49 AM
Its easy... Pay someone to do it! lol

nmez21
12-28-2006, 12:03 PM
My dad took some lettering off a light brown truck a year or two ago. You could tell where the letters had been so we took it to a guy that does quite a bit or paint work and he used some pressurized water to get it off- sorry, I can't tell you what the psi level was though. Hope this helps.

stumpslawncare
12-28-2006, 12:13 PM
Heating the Lettering up with a blow dryer or by other means will make the letters come off easier, (this is what we do on the race car when we change sponsors) sometimes you will need to use a solvent to get some of the glue residue off. If you have a truck that has been lettered for a long period of time and set out in the sun then the rest of the trucks color will fade and the color under the lettering will not, so when you remove the letters you can still see where they have been. Unsure if that is true on a white vehicle.

LawnTamer
12-28-2006, 02:16 PM
If you have a truck that has been lettered for a long period of time and set out in the sun then the rest of the trucks color will fade and the color under the lettering will not, so when you remove the letters you can still see where they have been. Unsure if that is true on a white vehicle.

It is.

You could have magnetic signs that match.

Jason Rose
12-28-2006, 07:20 PM
Problem with having the vinal on the vehicle isn't removing the letters or the stickey, it's that the vehicles paint fades normally in the sun, and where the letters are it dosn't. the longer they are on there the more they will be faded in. The darker the paint, the worse it's going to be noticable. a couple years may have no effect though, just depends on the paint and how much sun it sees over the year.

Lynden-Jeff
12-28-2006, 07:28 PM
If you remove the vinyl and then take it to a body shop for a buff/polish, you will never know the difference and the entire paintjob will look like new. For my ram it runs around $400 for removal and buff.

Cheers
Jeff

tthomass
12-28-2006, 08:51 PM
power washer can strip the paint if you're not careful........i imagine a good buffing is needed or at least would help after removal

The Rookie
12-28-2006, 10:32 PM
Get a hold of your local snap on tool or matco tool dealer and get an eraser wheel. It is used to remove pinstripes, lettering, ect. Buff the paint afterwards to blend the faded paint.

Ga.GrassCutter
02-02-2007, 09:18 AM
Goo B Gone, works good, along with elbow grease.

MysticLandscape
02-02-2007, 03:34 PM
We took it off one of my buddies trucks. We took a blow drier and heated the letters, pealed them off by hand then took some gas and a rag to clean up the glue. Took about an hr to do 2 doors and the front hood.

leaflandscape
02-02-2007, 10:59 PM
If your truck's a lease, I was told not to worry about it they'll take care of it for you.

robknasel
02-02-2007, 11:28 PM
Hello,
I have recently learned the right way to remove vinyl lettering. First use a heat gun not a blow dryer. Blow dryers dont get hot enough, for example they are made not too get too hot. Use a good heat gun on the lower setting and just slightly heat up the lettering. A heat gun will heat it quickly, this is what you want. A blow dryer will make it harder to remove by slowly heating up and not heating up the surrounding surface. Once all the letters are peeled off. Second 3M Adhesive, Wax and Silicone remover, sold at the evil kingdom (WAL Mart) for around $6.00. This will come in a 16oz can and will take about two per side, Depending on size. Third you will need a plastic squeegy. You will let the remover soak in for about 30-60 seconds but no more than 120 without reapplying the solvent. Test in a small area first. Squeegy the adhesive residue right off the side of the vehicle. Ok the next thing. On a white truck/ trailer the letters will still be evident. This is called oxidation and yes it is due to the sun. Fourth use a buffer then use some rubbing compound liquid that is white made by turtle wax, It is new, Advance Auto carries it. $6.50 a bottle. Works great. Key here it is white. Buff until the oxidation is gone. Blam, youll have a great looking truck/ trailer ready for new vinyl. Email me at robknasel@springfieldsignaturelawncare.com if you have any more questions.

Thanks

Rob
Springfield Signature Lawn Care

ECS
02-02-2007, 11:46 PM
If your truck is an extended cab, put the lettering on the back side windows and across the back window. There will be no oxidation if and when you want to remove it and can scrape off with a razor or spray a little WD-40 or denatured alcohol on the residue to remove the leftover gum.

GreenN'Clean
02-03-2007, 11:20 AM
I used a heat gun to peel off the lettering and then used some De-greaser to make sure I got all the glue off.