PDA

View Full Version : Lettering on mowing rigs???

PLS-Tx
12-28-2006, 11:43 AM
I sure many of you have lettered your trucks and trailers for commercial mowing, and I'm wondering if it's possible to remove all the residue if we ever take the vinyl lettering off.

I posted a better expanation of my question in the truck and trailer forum, if you want to look there.

nobagger
12-28-2006, 12:14 PM
I sure many of you have lettered your trucks and trailers for commercial mowing, and I'm wondering if it's possible to remove all the residue if we ever take the vinyl lettering off.

I posted a better expanation of my question in the truck and trailer forum, if you want to look there.

They do make an adhesive remover just for vinyl lettering residue. I would also take a buffer to it (the trailer) after all of the lettering and residue were removed.

stumpslawncare
12-28-2006, 12:16 PM
I posted a reply in your other post

RedMax Man
12-28-2006, 12:19 PM
Gasoline is a good solvent too, I've used it to remove some lettering and clean off the sticky adhesive. After wax and buff it and you will never know the the vinyl lettering was there.

GreenN'Clean
12-28-2006, 02:02 PM
I used a heat gun to remove the letters so i wouldn't scratch the paint on my trailer and then used a de-greaser to remove the residue.

PowersTree
12-28-2006, 02:04 PM
Heat gun to get the decal off and Goo Gone to get the residue off.

Turfdude
12-28-2006, 05:59 PM
Goo Gone to get the residue off.

that sounds like a product Clinton needed a few years ago!

teamoneoutdoors
12-28-2006, 08:53 PM
Use a heat gun to allow the adheasive to release but do not heat it up too much or it will damage the paint. As you are beginning to remove the vinyl keep the heat gun ahead of you continuing to heat up the vinyl. You know it is too hot when the vinyl stretches then rips. You know it is too cold when the vinyl is brittle.

Once the vinyl is removed, use a product like 3M Adheasive remover. Apply it then use a squeegie to remove the adheasive if there is a large build up. You may have to do this several times.

When all the adheasive is removed use a buffer with a good compound.

If possible, request 3M Controltac vinyl when you go to your sign shop to have you decals made. It is a better grade vinyl that is removed with almost no adheasive residue.

Several years of experience with my other company in wrapping vehicles, trailers, etc.

Good luck!

The Rookie
12-28-2006, 10:27 PM
The best thing to use is called an eraser wheel. You can get it through your local snap on or matco tool dealer. You can chuck it into a drill or die grinder and presto, residue gone. It is just like a pencil eraser only bigger and disc shaped. Body shops use them all the time to remove pinstripes, lettering, car dealership decals, ect. Get one today it will save you paintjob from damage caused by other methods.

teamoneoutdoors
12-29-2006, 08:51 AM
The best thing to use is called an eraser wheel. You can get it through your local snap on or matco tool dealer. You can chuck it into a drill or die grinder and presto, residue gone. It is just like a pencil eraser only bigger and disc shaped. Body shops use them all the time to remove pinstripes, lettering, car dealership decals, ect. Get one today it will save you paintjob from damage caused by other methods.

You are correct with this option. We have one of these tools and it does work great in certain situations such as smaller decals. However, if you are not experienced in using one of these, you will burn the paint. We do not allow our inexperienced guys to use this tools when removing large vinyl lettering from vehicles. Many factory clear coats are not very thick and will burn easy causing a much larger problem.

3M Adheasive remover will not harm any paint, either clear coat or single stage. It can be purchased at any parts store that services professional body shops.