PDA

View Full Version : Winter Projects - What Are Yours?

SLC, LLC
12-29-2006, 01:06 AM
As many of us are now finished up for the season - what are the business related projects that you cannot wait to get started on. I have a list so long I will never get finished up before the season starts back up with this broken arm I have.

However, have been able to get a jump start on repainting the trailers. Found a great paint that covers well, is very thick, and holds up against the dings a trailer gets throughout the season. I am extremely pleased with how well they are looking.

Shooting to get new scheduliong software figured out and names, routes, etc. entered in.

And the list goes on... what are all of you up to?

02DURAMAX
12-29-2006, 01:45 AM
As many of us are now finished up for the season - what are the business related projects that you cannot wait to get started on. I have a list so long I will never get finished up before the season starts back up with this broken arm I have.

However, have been able to get a jump start on repainting the trailers. Found a great paint that covers well, is very thick, and holds up against the dings a trailer gets throughout the season. I am extremely pleased with how well they are looking.

Shooting to get new scheduliong software figured out and names, routes, etc. entered in.

And the list goes on... what are all of you up to?

I just started on my trailer but I was thinking...has anyone used line-X on the Trailer insted of paint??.. Thats what I'm doing on my trailer.:rolleyes:

topsites
12-29-2006, 10:30 AM
omg... ok, here goes:

Today: Register the new truck, then do a complete tune-up (oil change, spark plugs, HP wires and HP cap + rotor, air filter. Then, clean it inside out, get the toolbox working (some lock issue) and transfer all the stuff and clean the old truck good and put it up for sale.
This likely won't be finished today.

Next:
Take apart the core aerator and clean out the $&^% plastic crap that got caught up in the axles 2 years ago which the customer swore would decompose, replace the main bar, replace the throttle cable, order the gear to replace the one with a broken tooth (and wait), then put it all back together.

Then:
- Replace the 98's Wb 15hp Kohler, which has to be ordered.
- Remove 4 tires on one car and get the old tires off the rims and put the new ones on, plus put the best of the used tires on the spare rim and go donate 2 donut spares. Then, go get the 4 new tires balanced, and re-install.

Wash and wax most everything.
Replace most spark plugs, and go completely over everything.

I forget the rest, but there's oil changes and all sorts of tune-ups, will likely keep me busy for at least a month.
Oh yeah, finish repainting the inside of the house :laugh:

wrtenterprises
12-29-2006, 10:48 AM
Still makin' money here in Central Pa. No snow to date, but I have a defense contractor who has a large 30+ acre campus facility. We've been pruning and installing 75 ton of riverstone for the last few weeks.

It's great to work this late into the season, but everything else suffers. The equipment still needs to be winterized, all trucks also. Not to mention the plows and blowers. Oh well, like the farmers always say " You have to make hay when the sun shines" . The sun is still bright here in State College, at least for now.....

Here's to a great 2007,

Wayne

Jusmowin
12-29-2006, 10:55 AM
Im just doing all the final clean up of my shop and equipment. I also need to repaint some parts of my trailer and redo the bearing too. Im also looking for a biz program I can put on my laptop to keep better trac of clients and services this upcomming year, anyone have any suggestions?

GreenN'Clean
12-29-2006, 12:24 PM
running my other 2 Businesses and waiting for spring to get here

Lawn Enforcer
12-29-2006, 12:43 PM
Building a striper for the Dixon, building a tool and blower rack for my trailer, cleaning the shop, making some trailer signs.

BSDeality
12-29-2006, 01:05 PM
I just started on my trailer but I was thinking...has anyone used line-X on the Trailer insted of paint??.. Thats what I'm doing on my trailer.:rolleyes:
I had some left over herculiner when I did my truck bed so I rolled the top of the rails of my trailer. Basically any flat stock that I step on when i get in or out of the trailer. Its great when the trailer is wet I don't fall on my face. :hammerhead:

grass_cuttin_fool
12-29-2006, 01:14 PM
Alot of projects here, Ive got 3 mowers to completely service. The work truck to service and bearings in trailers to check. Ive allready painted the dump and tandem trailers. Ive got 4-5 trimmers to replace plugs and air filters in also. Plus here in Va we have a state inspection on vechiles so I need to get 2 trailers and 1 truck to the garage for that before march and then that will be good for another 12 months

wayne

PearceLawn
12-29-2006, 01:17 PM
What kind of a striper are you putting on the Dixon? I am gonna try one made out of chains.

mcwlandscaping
12-29-2006, 02:07 PM
Waiting for snow is pretty much all i'm doing!!! Setting goals for next year, financial goals which lead to new equipment goals in the end and also comming up with new marketing ideas. Just a lot of thinking really!!

Travis E
12-29-2006, 05:41 PM
Learning more of the business end of my small operation for next year. Also going to start building a 16' trailer sometime in January!

GreenN'Clean
12-29-2006, 06:26 PM
I'll be running my other businesses and also setting up contracts for the new year

miketina
12-29-2006, 08:22 PM
Want to get a more professional look. We will be starting our second season. Need a logo so we can get it put on the truck and get some shirts made up. Come up with some better business cards. Looking for ways to improve our service and increase our customer base.
Reading all I can on LawnSite.com to learn more, more, more!!!!

JimLewis
12-29-2006, 08:41 PM
This is my winter project...
(Thanks Rainbird!)

http://www.cybcon.com/~jimlewis/PuertoV.jpg

meets1
12-29-2006, 09:08 PM
Building the "inside shop" areas. Put up a new blding last spring and now need to install lights, outlets, bld office, bathroom, utility room, and enjoy the heat!

No snow here so were also busy trimming small trees/bushes yet - people still call.

mowahman
12-29-2006, 09:26 PM
just finishing up the 32'w x 40'l x 14'h shop I just put up. Did it basically in 2 weekends with 8 guys. Used a crane to set the trusses but other than that it was manual labor...and fun. We just finished setting outlets, switches, and pulling wire. Need to bring in power from the pole next and hook up the woodstove. Trucks, plows, sanders, sand/salt mix, calcium, salt are all set, just need snow. Getting our oval race sleds ready for this season. Other than that, nothing much. Put the trailers and mowers away and will get them out in March to go over, under, and through.

corey1977
12-29-2006, 09:52 PM
winter service plan for next year sit back and chill and watch the snow fall if it ever comes

JDWalkbehind
12-29-2006, 11:41 PM
bending new tin for track vac/ work on trailer and restoring a 1971 john deere 70

desert rose gardening
12-30-2006, 12:01 AM
I live where I mow all year!!!:clapping:

KS_Grasscutter
12-30-2006, 12:25 AM
Today I started re-doing my trailer. Gonna see about renting a sandblaster tomorrow to get the old paint and rust off. I REALLY should redo the gate too, and make it stronger, but I really DON'T have the money for that now. I am hoping like hell I get this job at Ace Hardware I am applying for too. Just work till first of March, but it will get me by and have plenty of money to start the 07 Season.

The Rookie
12-30-2006, 12:29 AM
Powerwashing houses, driveways, ect. Hauling mulch and planning a landscape for one of my customers this spring.

SLC, LLC
12-30-2006, 12:44 AM
i think it is interesting to see how others spend their offseason and mainly the projects that they work on to better their business for the following season. I don't know about all of you, but as I read through some of these, I think "hey, maybe I should be doing that too."

Have a great New Year's All!

meets1
12-30-2006, 09:12 PM
What is also intersting is knowing that others have "other" things to do other than lawn care 24/7.

I, as probably the rest of ya bust a^& all season and enjoy somewhat of a break. Sometimes that break is just doing something different.

So enjoy the off season to those that it applies to.

Happy New Year!

LLandscaping
12-30-2006, 10:08 PM
We will still be doing maintenance three days a week, hopefully doing some landscaping jobs we have bids on, repainted our trailers, cleaning equipment. I will be buying Gopher software the first of the year and need to learn it. I also have tires to replace on the Toro 21's, plugs and filters on the two-cycle, and a few belts on the mowers to replace. I also have some welding to do on our trailer and I need to replace the fenders.