PDA

View Full Version : anyone have a new stander?

larryslawn
12-29-2006, 12:19 AM
Was thinking about getting a new stander type mower. The shorter length will give me more room on the trailer, but i don't know any one who has one.I just know if they will hold up or how good the cut is.

02DURAMAX
12-29-2006, 12:39 AM
I don't have a new one but it's a 2003...I love my stander, you have more space on the trailer and they are great on hills much better than a ztr on a hill..:) :)

dhardin53
12-29-2006, 03:46 AM
I went to Springfield last week and looked at one for my younger brother. He picked up a Stander Wednesday and stoped by here and we give it a run around. (no grass to mow) He bought a 36", 17hp, ajustable beck as well as a Plugr PL600. Two real nice machines.

The stander really impresed me. quick nimble, and well made mower. Right now there is a 18% discount, so the price he paid really shocked me as well. I need a better walkbehind, and upgrade my trailer this year. I dont have the budget for any new equipment right now. But I will have one hopfully befor the end of next year.

I give it 2 thumbs up.

GreenN'Clean
12-29-2006, 11:32 AM
How are the standers on the knees and lower back?

dhardin53
12-29-2006, 01:15 PM
Im not shure it would be much good for a guy with bad knees. But I have had back problems in the past including back surgery. And speaking from experence, at the time i would rather stand to mow any day.
Another benifet I feel would be the simpicity of geting on and off to pick up yard crap. one draw back i feel would be mowing around low hanging trees. This thing is so short you can not get in as close without driving under low hangers. And stand up on a step off the ground could pose a problem there.

There fun to drive, The guy at the deal said popin wheelies and jumping small curbs is kind of nice. I gues the dealer had a open house last year and set up a obstical corse in the parking lot. He had all the LC guys around there and they had blast, and he is selling the stander like crazy, He cant give away the older W/Bs.

I bet you could put 3 standers with room to spair on a triler thats full now with 2 ZTRs.

John Gamba
12-29-2006, 01:17 PM
Was thinking about getting a new stander type mower. The shorter length will give me more room on the trailer, but i don't know any one who has one.I just know if they will hold up or how good the cut is.

People that have them love them and they seem to hold up well. They do have a good resale value.

ed2hess
12-29-2006, 04:17 PM
How are the standers on the knees and lower back?

The Sentar sport 36" has a seat so you can sit if you want! We have had problems with the initial mower pivot and they had to be upgraded. The hydro hoses are hitting too much stuff and wore holes in one of them. Not sure they have that under control. The hydro belt went in 300hrs and it is hard to replace you got to drop the clutch. But we like the machine a lot. It will not hold up like a Scag too many ungreased pivot points....including the spindles.

dhardin53
12-29-2006, 11:18 PM
I asked the owner of this dealership if the spindles had zerk he said yes. And the hydro hose you are refering to looked to have a cloth webing/reinfoced cover.

ed2hess
12-30-2006, 09:29 PM
I asked the owner of this dealership if the spindles had zerk he said yes. And the hydro hose you are refering to looked to have a cloth webing/reinfoced cover.

Maybe on some models but I doubt it unless it is new this year? My hoses had some type of covering on them but it went through. You can NOT have these tubes hitting stuff that can be vibrating. Mine rubbed into the hydro filter. Also had holes rubbed through the cowling on the engine on both sides, they have a problem on Sentar! My dealer had some heavy duty lines custom built for us...many thanks to dealer.

SouthernFried
12-31-2006, 12:28 AM
We have been using Standers for many years now. Have 6 Wright Standers, 4 Wright Velke's, and 2 Wright Sentars. The Standers are just great. I would run nothing but Standers If I could. The Distributor brough a trailer load of new Standers to our place a coupla months ago, and those new "sport" models blew me away.

My only problem with Standers, is support. It's been a problem. We have some great dealers here...but none of them handle the Stander. The dealers that do handle them, suck. Luckily our mechanic has worked on them a lot, and handles most of the repairs. Still, dealer support is a serious issue with this mower, at least here.

Even with the few quirks that seem to be inherent with the Standers, I love em.

DOLMARatOS
12-31-2006, 01:12 AM
Have had great luck with the everide scorpion models and of course the little great dane units.

Tough as nails and NO WHEELIE BARS NEEDED.

Great on hills. More productive than a Hydro Walk. Plus they stack up nice on a trailer.

Dealer support is the key to any piece of equipment. Period. I've had people talking great things about their Cub Cadet Tanks....then they find out Farm and Fleet won't overnight parts or their dealer doesn't stock a ton of parts etc.

Stick with the best parts / service dealer and let equipment name be a close second. Sooner or later, something will break down and that's when you find out if your $$$ was well spent.

bobcat175
01-08-2007, 01:39 PM
We have been using Standers for many years now. Have 6 Wright Standers, 4 Wright Velke's, and 2 Wright Sentars. The Standers are just great. I would run nothing but Standers If I could.....

So if you could buy a Stander or a Sentar both say 52"/23hp for the same price which one would you buy and why?

Coumbe
01-09-2007, 10:30 AM
If you fold the seat up on the Sentar can you just stand on it? Or is it in the way?

bobcat175
01-09-2007, 10:37 AM
If you fold the seat up on the Sentar can you just stand on it? Or is it in the way?

Although I haven't tried one out..my guess is that it will be in the way. I think that the folding is only for transporting. I do know that the controls are alot lower than a stander if you're standing on the sentar. (hmm, yes..I wrote that right) So I think that standing on a sentar is really only for short durations like leaning forward when going up a hill or a better view when going around something.

Anybody running sentars agree?

Liquidfast
01-09-2007, 12:02 PM
You CAN stand up on them but it was not designed to do it for an extended period of time. The seat is in the way but lets say for a moment you were going up a hill, you would want to stand to place the weight forward...this you CAN do but again, not for an extended period of time.....I prefer the sentar anyday of the week however, I got a smokin deal on the stander and couldnt pass it up. However, I will be asking my dealer if he would let me trade up and offer some $$$ to get the sentar.....once I get it brought across the border first..:canadaflag: :usflag:

AlleganyLawnCare
01-09-2007, 02:34 PM
I don't have a new one but it's a 2003...I love my stander, you have more space on the trailer and they are great on hills much better than a ztr on a hill..:) :)

On the hill, approx., what degree in slope will it handle?

bobcat175
01-09-2007, 02:59 PM
On the hill, approx., what degree in slope will it handle?

I demo'ed a 52"/23hp and I climbed my hill which is a measured 23degrees at its steepest point. I still had to lean forward...but that's expected.

Going sideways and then turning for the return stripe required some finesse...although this was during my first time ever on the stander so I would expect the controlling to be better after some stick time. Also to make that turn I had to lean to weight down the highside wheel. It also depends greatly on the terrain....not enough grass or wet and everything will slide.

ed2hess
01-10-2007, 05:07 PM

The seat is not in the way...it has conplicated four bar linkage that is pretty neat to get it out of the way. The control panel seems to be a little lower on the Sentar than a straight Stander so if you are tall you might have a problem in the standing postion.

Promow Professional
01-10-2007, 05:55 PM
36" wright stander here. Love it. Easy to get in backyards, nice cut and other than pull cord breaking no maintanence problems to report. To adjust my stander you have to hang the front caster off of the trailer gate and move a series of 3 shims up or down. This is sometimes a pain if mowing yards at different heights especially in early season. I've heard the new wrights have adjustable deck via a hand lever. Highly recommend.

Promow Professional
01-10-2007, 05:57 PM
I have another local company who have a sentar and they love it. I however can't get over the look of the seat and the way you set. It almost looks like your at an antique tractor pull.

John Gamba
01-10-2007, 07:02 PM
. I however can't get over the look of the seat and the way you set. It almost looks like your at an antique tractor pull.

Nothing wrong with that.

Promow Professional
01-10-2007, 07:26 PM
LOL, awesome pic, can you get that in a side gate

bobcat175
01-10-2007, 10:43 PM
I have another local company who have a sentar and they love it.

So how come the dealers say that they are not popular and don't sell as much yet they are rarely for sale and everyone that I talk to love them... is it just the northeast?

Anyone in New England have one that I can look at?

John Gamba
01-11-2007, 06:18 AM
LOL, awesome pic, can you get that in a side gate

Full throttle Sure:laugh: :waving:

Bob Merkli
01-21-2007, 10:01 PM
i have 2 sentars and 1stander love them both both have great cuts if i was in the market for another mower it would be a sentar

tallimeca
01-22-2007, 07:50 PM
Same machine as the Great Dane or Everride.

Should find a significant price savings vs Stander.

Both is good. Buy the one the fits your finances and from a dealer who can help.

salandscape
01-22-2007, 08:17 PM
Have a Stander for 2 years, also run w/b's. Stander is good on open areas but I'll take the w/b on my hills any day, don't get me wrong stander can handle so good hills, but I have some seriuos hills that require you to be able to pull in the hydro's to slow it down, on the stander you can let go of thecontrols or ease up for less forward speed but can't pull back like a w/b. The spindles do go on the stander a little faster than I would like, especially if guys hit stuff! The I've replaced 2 and the latest replacement had a grease zerk on it, not sure if all new mondels have this or not. Doesn't build up a lot of grass under the deck, which is good since it isn't the easiest mower to clean/ change blades.

ed2hess
01-22-2007, 08:38 PM
The spindles do go on the stander a little faster than I would like, especially if guys hit stuff! The I've replaced 2 and the latest replacement had a grease zerk on it, not sure if all new mondels have this or not. .

I am worried about those spindles....my unit is less than one year old. What did the spindles cost?

AlleganyLawnCare
01-22-2007, 11:13 PM
I demo'ed a 52"/23hp and I climbed my hill which is a measured 23degrees at its steepest point. I still had to lean forward...but that's expected.

Going sideways and then turning for the return stripe required some finesse...although this was during my first time ever on the stander so I would expect the controlling to be better after some stick time. Also to make that turn I had to lean to weight down the highside wheel. It also depends greatly on the terrain....not enough grass or wet and everything will slide.

Thanks for the info! Sorry it took me awhile to get back and thankyou for it. I appreciate it.