PDA

View Full Version : We may ALL be out of business

dhardin53
12-29-2006, 03:27 AM
Check this out, If they get this inproved and aproved, and the price lowered. We may only have to mow two or three times a year. Im talking about groth ******ents for lawns.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.04/turf.html

Kind of hard to make a living with 3 mowes a year. Spray the yard in the spring and the grass will only grow 6 to 12 inches all summer. GEES... Whats this world coming to?

Dan H

carcrz
12-29-2006, 08:31 AM
Start charging monthly rates. That could be a good product if it is used correctly.

Jpocket
12-29-2006, 09:06 AM
If it happens SO BE IT. Most of us will find something else to do.

topsites
12-29-2006, 09:23 AM
I was more worried about over-population and global warming myself :laugh:

GSMOSS
12-29-2006, 09:49 AM
If this were to take off like wild fire, it has the potential to not only put lawn maintenance people out of business but countless other lawn equipment manufacturers in the poor house as well. No grass to cut, no lawn care providers just installers of the the "no maintenance lawn". Possible problem? Yes;but not one to be worried about as of yet. So dhardin53, keep doing what you do and if anyone sees a site to protest this, do it and let the rest of us know.

Allure
12-29-2006, 10:09 AM
Quite a few hurdles to overcome. Even if they do get approval, it has to be installed (probably at a much higher price) in your customers lawns before it puts you out of business. I think the average american would rather shell out small amounts of money each month rather than a large amount for a brand new lawn & all of the mess that goes with installation.

muddstopper
12-29-2006, 10:13 AM
I wouldnt worry to much. Like everything else, this will tend to be overused and you can make good money doing new lawn install's and renovations. And I would guess that when eveybodies kids stop growing or start getting cancers, the product will be outlawed.

Lawn Enforcer
12-29-2006, 10:28 AM
I agree w/ muddstopper, it will probably be outlawed because somebody who installs the lawns has a four-eyed kid or something like that. I say in 100 years it will be a factor, but what do I know? :laugh:

Idealtim
12-29-2006, 10:34 AM
In 100 years, I won't give a damn about how fast someones lawn grows!

dhardin53
12-29-2006, 12:51 PM
I agree it may never have a big inpact on my LCO but its coming soon. If i was a younger guy starting in this business today. Id get a applictators licences and for shure keep abreast with this consept. It could be a good thing if you get in early.

I do mostly large commercial yards, and I feel it might inpact that part of the industery first. Most of the City and County work I do is because of the liablity and hassel with mowing in high trafic areas. I bet I could sell them on this concept real fast, and I feel they would not bat a eye over the cost.

mcwlandscaping
12-29-2006, 01:04 PM
i really don't think it'll have an effect anytime soon if at all....if it does, then like the above poster said, we'd probably doing a lot of new lawn installs because of people that over use it.

JimLewis
12-29-2006, 07:32 PM
If this product succeeds, all of you guys who only do mowing will finally have to learn how to do some REAL Landscaping. Hehe.... :laugh: :clapping: :laugh:

Accu-cut Lawn Care
12-30-2006, 12:40 AM
I don't worry about products like this at all. Grass growing normally does more than just put food in our mouths...it repairs itself. How do you think sportsfields would look after a week of play on grass that doesn't grow?

dhardin53
01-02-2007, 10:48 PM
worse than astroterf, and most everyone i know got rid of that stuff.

Fantasy Lawns
01-02-2007, 11:45 PM
I cut to many dirt lots too worry about this hi tech stuff .... these customers don't even pick up the doggy do in the turf, kiddy toys, always pay late n don't have irragation ....why would they pay to have this installed ??

lawnprosteveo
01-04-2007, 08:10 PM
The little old ladies I mow for can barely afford me let alone a new lawn. I dont think its something I will worry about just yet.

RedWolf
01-04-2007, 08:46 PM
I know what will fix that stuff. Two words " GLY-STAR PRO" That will make that stuff look really good :laugh: :laugh: . Most of my customers Bit** when I I call for my money. I dont think they would get that crap. That stuff will never take off.

DFW Area Landscaper
01-04-2007, 09:00 PM
This clown is trying to lead investors into thinking he's got a maintenance free lawn for sale.

Two giant problems: 1.) Bent grass lawns are totally unheard of around here in my part of the country. What they don't mention is all the fungal problems bent gets. The bent putting greens that exist around here often times have giant fans and someone has to water them in the afternoons when it's hot out. So dead spots take even longer to fill in. 2.) If you create a slower growing bermuda, the weeds that do come up in it will shade it out and kill it. Shade kills bermuda. So unless someone is out there with a backpack of glyphosphate at the first sign of a weed, the weed will shade out the bermuda and create a dead spot that would normally fill back in quickly, but not with a genetically altered slow growing plant.

Not worried at all, but I do think playing around with genetically altered pollen producing plants is dangerous.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

gra$$
01-06-2007, 07:17 PM
if this really works?ill be the first dealer in town and add it to my service!if it did work id make a lot more money with less overhead.id charge the same as if i was mowing it every week!but only apply it twice.or when needed.i say bring it on!!i try to always look at the positive side of things that effect my bussiness.even if it looks bad i try to capitalize on anything i can get out of it!this bussiness is very competitive in my area so i cant waist time looking at the neggative side.i need to grow and focus on that!

DeereHauler
01-06-2007, 10:07 PM
can you imagine the cost to apply this stuff??? i want to be the guy selling it, i could proably retire after all is said and done!