PDA

View Full Version : Dump trailer for landscapeing?

Shady Brook
12-29-2006, 10:36 AM
I was wondering about using a dump trailer for landscapeing, but had some questions. Can you get a wheel barrow under the tailgate of a dump trailer when tipped? I realize that a low profile has no shot, but what about the deckover design? I have been looking at some deckovers with fold down sides that look pretty functional.

Any thoughts on using one for landscapeing not involving dumping the material on the ground? This is not an option in many locations where I work.

Thanks

Total Landscape Solutions
12-29-2006, 10:43 AM
Might want to learn how to spell landscaping first. :)

tthomass
12-29-2006, 11:35 AM
I have a deck over design and no, you can not get a wheel barrow under it. If I do not want to get it on the ground I will leave the tail gate up and dump till the materia slides back. Then I am shoveling at my waste instead of the ground.

FYI: ALWAYS have the trailer connected to the truck when dumping (even empty).

Why is it that dumping mostly not an option? Is there a particular material you have in mind?

Shady Brook
12-29-2006, 12:00 PM
tthomass

I appreciate the info, that was most helpful.

I do not always have the option to dump because I do quite a bit of work in a highend subdivision where you can not dump on the street, and you can not always dump in a drive do to a variety of problems, one of which is working off of brick pavors and such.

Wow, thanks for the informative post, you are wealth of information. Must be very exciting reading posts so that you can critique spelling. Perhaps you missed your calling and should have been an English professor!

12-29-2006, 12:18 PM
Believe me my english and spelling is horrible, thats why a nice thick Webster has it's place on my desk, not a bookshelf. Just wanted to save you some embarassment down the road. Better to learn it here than in front of a customer.

tthomass
12-29-2006, 12:19 PM
Depending on what I'm doing........if I really need to dump I will go get some cheap $8 sheets of plywood and a large blue tarp.

1st lay down the tarp
2nd lay down the plywood

That way you have a hard, smooth surface to shovel from because the tarp will just drag and snag and make a mess. Then when you are mostly done you remove the plywood and use the tarp like a sack to get up the remaining material. When finished........limited, if any, mess.

At times I have had to dump in the street, which case you def should have some orange cones. Then if its up and gone in a day or two you shouldn't hear anyones opinion.

Mr. Vern
12-29-2006, 01:22 PM
One of the reasons we use the dump trailers is because it is easier to load a wheelbarrow from the trailer than to scoop from the ground. We will usually drop off the trailer with a load on it and the guys will lay a tarp on the ground to catch any spillage, and then load the wheelbarrows from the trailer. When the material gets too far away from the back of the trailer they just close the gate and dump it to make it slide to the back, and they're off again. We almost never dump on a street or even a driveway because the cleanup takes so much time.
If your local rental yard has a dump available you should rent one and try it out. I would not do it unless you are prepared to buy one though because you will never want to work without one after you have used one.

tthomass
12-29-2006, 02:29 PM
2nd what Mr. Vern said..........also, check out the market. I bought mine for $3,000. It was 2 yrs old and in excellent condition. Guy used it mostly for mulch and debris as we all do and was getting out of the business for another job.

Found mine on www.craigslist.com but unless you have a metro area close by that site won't do much good.

Shady Brook
12-29-2006, 04:56 PM
Thanks guys for the practical info on the dump trailers. I found a company that sells new ones on e-bay that has deck over's with fold down sides. This might make it dumping a non issue as well. I would like the fold down sides for when I get pallets of brick and block, but also want it to haul a small tractor and often other tools which make me lean toward a low profile trailer.

Is there any other input that I should consider when deciding between a deckover, or lop pro design using the trailer from hauling tractors to fertilizer spreaders "magnum" to landscape work of all sorts?

Thanks again guys!

tthomass
12-29-2006, 07:08 PM
if you're thinking tractor go low pro........depends on the size of the tractor though i'd say.........goose neck or hitch?

what size are you thinking of getting? basically from what i've seen the length = the GVW

my 6x10 is a 10,000 GVW

contractor i know has a 14' and is a 14,000 GVW.........i don't know if this is true for all but interesting none the less

Shady Brook
12-29-2006, 09:35 PM
I am looking at a tag trailer in the 14-16 foot range and 14k. I have seen these for sale in my region. I think the low pro makes more sense for loading the variety of machines that I have, and I will likely regret it when I am doing my fertilizer rounds getting the ramps out a million times. I had seen a spreader tail gate unit that also was designed as a drop down rear gate to load and unload with. I think this is the route I would go, and perhaps make a split gate of this kind for swing out doors if I can find a hinge that will accomplish all of that. I would have to go low pro to get a gate of that nature or it would be long and very heavy.

I need to get another dump truck, and was thinking about a larger truck, but would love to get another dodge cummins to pull the trailer and get superior mileage. I put about 120 miles a day on this rig. I figure a small dump truck with a big dump trailer would make a pretty efficient landscaping machine.

tthomass
12-29-2006, 09:44 PM
Let me throw a wrench into this for you........how much machinary and landscape/hardscape construction are you doing or plan on doing? Trees, shrubs, mulch, sod, pavers, stone, sand, skid steer etc etc etc.

Take a peak at my "international construcion post" and also look up etwman "equipment pictures"............what I'm getting at is a Switch-N-Go system. No ramps, no trailers needed........though still nice to have but those things are not always needed, you could avoid using them if working in a tight area for example.

LB1234
12-30-2006, 03:32 AM
the lower the trailer is the easier it is to load. So a carryall barrel full of leaves, sticks, and other debris is easier to lift and empty into the trailer. Also, if you need to make the sides higher than just use the 2x4 slots and make it as high or low as you want...and they are removable so you can change out if you so desire. also, we've gotten six pallets of sod into our trailer. we have a 14' LP bri-mar. we do NOT have fold down sides. however, if you have a chain or tow rop with you its very easy to 'lasso' the pallet, drag it to the end with the machine, and then get the forks on it and go.

Mr. Vern
12-31-2006, 03:15 AM
I would definitely take a good hard look at the lowest deck you can find. The over the axle type is nice for hauling pallets, but forget about ever loading it with a mini-skid such as the Dingo. I would recommend getting the biggest trailer you can haul - just like a dump, it will never seem big enough. You do want to be sure that the trailer you get can be pulled with the class of license you have.

I made a big mistake on my first dump trailer. I measured the dump height of my Dingo and was looking at trailers and checked to be sure I could dump into them. Then at the last minute I upgraded from the 10K to the 14k and neglected to account for the taller wheels. Ended up having to take 4 perfectly good wheels off and put lower profiles on. The other option is to get a 4" drop axle; of course you will lose ground clearance.

You mention the spreader gate. I looked at that as well and can honestly say that I have not had 1 incident when that would have been helpful. We have that option on our transfers and it gets used, but never once has it been needed on the dump trailer.

Shady Brook
12-31-2006, 12:24 PM
Great insite fellas thanks!

I do to much of a mix of work to justify a hook lift type system at this time, but thanks for the heads up Tthomas!

LB and MR. Vern, you have provided sufficient evidence that a non-deckover is indeed the unit for me. I have seen several manufacturers that have 16 foot tags. I would love a goose, but that is not an option with dump trucks.

I was concerned about loading skids, but I guess they can always use another skid to shove the skid forward.

Does anyone know of a tailgate design that will hold a skidsteer and also act as spreader, or a barn door type of gate? I am sure one could be made if not.

Wow, it is still December and I am getting excited about Spring... well sort of.:)

Scag48
12-31-2006, 02:27 PM
Some guy said he can't get a wheelbarrow under his when dumped? Must be a really low deckover. You can get ours about 30% through the dump cycle and still get a wheelbarrow under there, plenty of slope to help things slide.

LB1234
01-03-2007, 03:09 PM
Acutally I think its easier to load the barrels with the trailer about halfway 'up' and the rear doors closed. We can then utilize the pitchfork at about waist level and load the wheelbarrels. We have two 8 cuft, one 10 cuft, and another single wheeled (not sure thecuft). They all work well.

We also just stand inside the trailer and load the barrels curbside for most of our residents. As it gets lower we just remove a wooden side to make it easier to toos over the side.

Grn Mtn
01-03-2007, 03:47 PM
Dump trailers are heavy, and to be used everyday could be a waste of gas, equipment haulers are less money and made for hauling tractors.

My buddy's wheel-over will dump into a wheel burrow and he had the optional sluce gate intalled and LOVES it. His only grip is the battery won't charge off the truck.

Mr Vern, thats too bad about the Dingo. For that reason when I demo'ed the Vermeer this fall I drove it over to my 2500 Ram with 6" side boards on and it was able to dump into the bed.

Travel'n Trees
01-03-2007, 11:09 PM
Dump trailers cost to much labor. Scooping? Pitchforking? Slow and inefficent, dump truck and trailer are alot better answer, you will save yourself in fuel and labor cost. Just stay away from the powerstrokes.

hoskm01
01-04-2007, 02:47 AM
Great insite fellas thanks!

It's insight, but who's counting?

Shady Brook
01-04-2007, 10:31 AM
Travel'n trees

I am currious why you believe it is more labor, is it because you can get a wheel barrow under the bed so you do not have to scoop everything?

I would like to avoid unhooking the trailer for every landscape job I do, thinking this may be more efficient. I have considered that I could devide a dump trailer bed and carry multiple types of material in the same load, and have the option of putting some in the dump truck.

I also think I could drive my tractor into the dump trailer and scoop out material from the trailer saving me alot of labor.

Why would it cost more in fuel to operate?

Thanks

Hoskmo

I do not understand your comment about counting?

RockSet N' Grade
01-04-2007, 08:28 PM
I have a bumper pull dump trailer....8 foot solid sides, 16' long tandem axle. Had it 12 years now, and couldn't live without it. On my next one it will be longer and be a goose neck. I will also spend the extra bucks and have the entire inside floor and side walls covered with Rhino Liner. And TravelinTrees, just to get you fired up......I pull it with a Ford PowerStroke and have never had a lick of trouble.......maybe I just got lucky and got the only decent one ever made while you have got all the lemons :)

RockSet N' Grade
01-04-2007, 08:31 PM
Sorry, just reread my post....I have 6' sides on my current trailer, not 8'

Travel'n Trees
01-04-2007, 09:27 PM
Buy a dump truck put 3 grain chutes in and box them in , and tilt the bed all the way up and unload directly into wheel barrel and clean the corners out by hand or with a shovel, install 4 yards of top soil in 20 minutes and leave. With little to no clean up and less stress on your back manuever into tight places that you can't with a trailer can't to dump and spread with dual wheels can go over alot more concrete with less stress on it, also the trailers seem to go up a little slower. At least three I've owned. Also trilers tend to get stuck easier. *trucewhiteflag* Rockset n grade I must have gotten one of the only lemons??? But they could have been a respectable company and did the right thing and fix it under their factory "warranty". And honor their dealers work when my transfer case fell out in the middle of the highway 300 miles after they worked on it. P.S. rhino liners and dump trucks don''t mix at all nothing slides out, I did that once too. Dirt was the worst. *trucewhiteflag*

LB1234
01-04-2007, 09:29 PM
We place multiple materials in our trailer all the time.

For small landscape installs we have the mulch loaded first and then all shrubs/trees placed on top and tarp it. We also are able to place our dingo sideways in the rear of the trailer (bucket/forks go into truck bed) and get a few yards of mulch/stone/etc. into the front 2/3 of the trailer. For hardscapes we often load the QP/modified into the rear of the trailer and place the paver sand in the front. That way when we dump it we use up the qp first and then move onto the paver sand.

More wear and tear on my truck yes...but IMHO it seems a lot less time and back and forth wear and tear than with a mason dump and/or insert.

akerr
01-04-2007, 10:50 PM
i have a 16' bri-mar 14k dump trailer and i loaded my kubota L3830 tractor in it once. i pulled it with my srw f 350 and it was a scary ride. if you're pulling a mid size compact tractor i would recommend not putting it in a dump trailer. my tractor will not fit into the trailer with a blade or rake on the 3pt hitch. it's more trouble than it's worth. i love the dump trailer it's great for all the reasons previously posted.

RockSet N' Grade
01-04-2007, 11:27 PM
TravelinTrees, Agree with ya....dumpTRUCKS and Rhino liners don't mix, but I would Rhino my dump Trailer without hesitation. They make a sprayliner that is slicker than snot without the roughbumps and thats what i would use. I do have a bed liner in my dump truck. It is 1/2" thick on the floor, sides, dog house and tail gate. I got it from back east and nothing, and I mean nothing, sticks to it.....not even in the corners. I drop boulders, concrete, and my floor and sides of my truck are dent free.......this bed liner is made specifically for dump trucks and is one of the best additions I have made to my truck.

RockSet N' Grade
01-04-2007, 11:32 PM
My next dump trailer will be tandem axle duals gooseneck. You can haul a skid steer and implement and it travels just dandy......most of the guys around here have gone that way and it seems to be very efficient vs. having another 10 wheeler or bob tail to maintain and feed money.

Shady Brook
01-04-2007, 11:49 PM
i have a 16' bri-mar 14k dump trailer and i loaded my kubota L3830 tractor in it once. i pulled it with my srw f 350 and it was a scary ride. if you're pulling a mid size compact tractor i would recommend not putting it in a dump trailer. my tractor will not fit into the trailer with a blade or rake on the 3pt hitch. it's more trouble than it's worth. i love the dump trailer it's great for all the reasons previously posted.

Could you tell me why it was so scary to haul? Surely the trailer was not overloaded weight wise? Was it the weight distribution with to much weight to the rear?

I have wondered how interesting it would be to pull a fully loaded 14k trailer with a 2 5/16's ball hitch. Do you guys use a weight distributing hitch, or just risk it with a normal hitch? I see guys with 3/4 tons pulling these sometimes, but wonder how safe it is with all that tongue weight plus if the trailer breaks ever fail. Wow!

Any towing considerations with a trailer of this size?

Thanks, this has turned into a great thread!

tthomass
01-05-2007, 12:44 AM
Trailer towing not being "scary" comes down to:

#1 having sufficent brakes
#2 load distribution........too far to the back and the trailer is like a dog wagging its tail and literally pulls you off the road (done it)

LB1234
01-05-2007, 01:25 AM
We tow our dingo and attachments (cultivator, forks, two buckets) with no problem. We have/had a kubota B21 on there no problems. We've had the older and newer model Kubota L35 in there. We've also had a yanmar mini-x in there multiple times (can't remember model numbers). Its track width was around 6-7 feet wide.

Scary? No, am I doing 65+mph down the highway no. I pull with a chevy 8.1L gasser, extended cab, short box. My trailer is a 14' Bri-mar with 12k GVWR. We make sure to tie it down with binders and chains. Make it nice and snug and make sure the weight is centered OVER the dual axles. Also, make sure the trailer is level with the vehicle you are pulling with...otherwise yes..hit a bump and it can get a little hairy...but this goes without saying with any trailer with a few thousand pounds in there.

The only problem I've every had is loading the mini-x cause it was raining and the treads kept slipping up the ramps. We wound up moving the truck/trailer to a downhill position and placing lumber underneath were the ramps touch the ground so the incline wasn't as drastic.

Would an equipment hauler be better/easier...no doubt that it would...but why spend the extra bucks for a trailer if you can get by (safely, legally, etc.) with the dump trailer if money is tight and you can spend a couple grand someplace else in your business.

RockSet N' Grade
01-05-2007, 01:55 AM
With my current trailer, (bumper pull), when fully loaded or for that matter when partially loaded I pull it behind a bob-tail dump. That's the only way the tail doesn't wag this dog.......too much weight on the tail end. A gooseneck on the other hand, puts the weight in a different position on the truck and you can haul with a one ton all day long and make those tight turns with no worry whatsoever. Once you have a gooseneck, you'll never want to go back to the bumper pull.......there is that big a difference.

Travel'n Trees
01-05-2007, 05:52 AM
Load distribution and quarries and plants don't mix good there always is one or 2 loaders who think a small truck is a waste of their time. Some of my local quarries, and sand plants do not load dump trailers. So check your area. Local wholesalers will load them though.

akerr
01-05-2007, 08:34 AM
Shady Brook, pulling larger equipment with my dump trailer is nerve racking, my personal opinion. The trailer is heavy and the equipment is heavy. I have pulled a kubota b21 and had no problem. so i understand dingos and smaller equipment is a breeze. My tractor has a loader so it's long and barely fits on the trailer length wise. I pulled it once because that's all i had, and decided to get a 20' equipment trailer. i still have the dump and use it a lot just not for towing my tractor. some people might be comfortable with a dump but i am worried about worst case scenario, and i don't drive 65mph when towing. it basically comes down to what you are comfortable with. you know what you are pulling and if it works with a dump trailer and you are comfortable with your step up, that's all that matters.

etwman
01-05-2007, 09:04 AM
This thread is too interesting, sorry I just can't sit back and not type something. I might be sticking my neck in where it doesn't belong but just hear out my reasoning on this.....seriously. You are all gun hoe on dump trailers, and for the very small stuff they do have a purpose, but just take a look at the system that Walter, tthomas, and I have. Here's the advantages over a dump trailer:

With the SNG system on a truck you have:

1. NO registration fees on a trailer.
2. NO maintenance (tires, wiring, etc.) or flat tires.
3. A lot less chance in overloading it.
4. You aren't worried about finding a tow vehicle that will really work.
5. You can set a body on the ground and wheel a wheelbarrow right in it.
6. You can have a separate body for stone, sand, mulch, etc. and grab the one you want when you need it, and leave material in it. You don't have to worry about what to do with leftover materials from a job, just leave them in the body and use it on the next job.
7. Move a 8 or 9,000 lb. machine without a CDL.
8. Pull in the back of a body with a skidloader and scoop out what you need.
9. Load in a quarry and save money buying bulk, eliminating the middle man.
10. Weight distribution is never really an issue when loading unless you really don't know what you're doing.
11. Overall transporting capacity is much more 10k - 18k payloads.
12. You'll feel much safer in a bigger truck.
13. Much lower maintenance and it'll last alot longer.
14. You can still pull a trailer and move a machine and product at the same time.
15. If you need another body just order it for $4000. If you get 8 years out of it consider it a disposable body, get another one. If a body is wrecked, put another body on. If your dump trailer is wrecked your SOL.

Sorry for the list but I've been there with dump trailers. By the time you buy a nice dump trailer, a good truck to tow it with, pay registration and maintenance on both, you'd be right there on a smaller truck with a SNG system, guaranteed.

Just some things to ponder, don't mean to open a can of worms. We didn't go this route to be different or toot our horns, we did it because it made complete sense beyond all comprehension.

RockSet N' Grade
01-05-2007, 09:13 AM
ETW....all good points. Do you have a pic of your set up that you would post here?

etwman
01-05-2007, 09:17 AM
here's the thread, it's long, but the threads about the SNG system are about mid way through.

Also the link to the manufacturer is www.bucksfab.com

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=37810&highlight=etwman

Grn Mtn
01-05-2007, 10:57 AM
With the SNG system on a truck you have:

1. NO registration fees on a trailer. your registration is more for your kind of truck so really your not paying that much more
2. NO maintenance (tires, wiring, etc.) or flat tires. you're only talking about two more tires becuse you have dual wheels and most guys with dump trailers have srw
3. A lot less chance in overloading it.? are you kidding me, you can put more weight in a dump trailer, besides the chance of overloading is equal
4. You aren't worried about finding a tow vehicle that will really work. well this point is applicable to some degree but really its not apples to apples. your vehicle is already a medium/heavy duty truck, where as a guy with a dump is using a 3/4 or 1 ton so its easier to be at the max capacities of the light duty truck.
5. You can set a body on the ground and wheel a wheelbarrow right in it. Nice feature, but you can just open the grain door on the dump and let gravity fill your burrow
6. You can have a separate body for stone, sand, mulch, etc. and grab the one you want when you need it, and leave material in it. You don't have to worry about what to do with leftover materials from a job, just leave them in the body and use it on the next job. Thats great if you have the $12g to buy a few more bodies. But I would be willing to bet most guys buy a dump trailer because at that time in their business they don't have the cash
7. Move a 8 or 9,000 lb. machine without a CDL. Help me out here with this one, weight is weight whether it is spread out over two vehicles or one, true the trailer weighs more but the truck pulling it is less...again explain this to me in more detail please
8. Pull in the back of a body with a skidloader and scoop out what you need. dump it on the ground and do the same
9. Load in a quarry and save money buying bulk, eliminating the middle man. Your telling me that if you trailer in your own skid steer they are going to let you load yourself? wow, nice relationship you have with your quarry. But not everyone has a quarry near them and your nursery is not going to let you load yourself.
10. Weight distribution is never really an issue when loading unless you really don't know what you're doing.if you don't know how to use your equipment you shouldn't be in the business
11. Overall transporting capacity is much more 10k - 18k payloads.as said before explain this one in more detail. buy a dump trailer with 7k axles
12. You'll feel much safer in a bigger truck. and 4wd will get you that much more stuck in the mud!?
13. Much lower maintenance and it'll last alot longer.a trailer doesn't have an engine and a drive train, so how is it going to be more?
14. You can still pull a trailer and move a machine and product at the same time. So you can load up full with stone/dirt and still pull the big tractor/skid?
15. If you need another body just order it for $4000. If you get 8 years out of it consider it a disposable body, get another one. If a body is wrecked, put another body on. If your dump trailer is wrecked your SOL. money money money, it all comes down to it. it takes money to make money. Its easy to make your arguments when you have the cash to set yourself up with what you have. I would KILL to have a Switch and Go system, but I am a small solo family man and your way is just not in the books, but a dump trailer for 6k is.

Sorry for the list but I've been there with dump trailers. By the time you buy a nice dump trailer, a good truck to tow it with,guys buying a dump trailer already have the truck so your just adding the cost of the trailer pay registration and maintenance on both, you'd be right there on a smaller truck with a SNG system, guaranteed.

look I'm just pointing out that your case is fine but does not apply to the guys trying to figure out how to get the best bang for no money.

etwman
01-05-2007, 11:20 AM
Okay I'm going to reply to a couple of your answers and let this go:

#3 - You cannot put more weight in a dump trailer than we can in our trucks without having a CDL in PA. Anything over 10k GVW requires a class A CDL. If you have 26000 GWV truck w/o air brakes, you can have a hauling capacity of 12k pounds. Thus enabling you to move a large track skid loader without a CDL. You cannot tell me you are going to put a 9,000 lb payload on a 10k lb trailer and be legal, it doesn't work.

#7 - see #3.

#8 - make more of a mess, takes more time, make less money. Time=money.

#9 - I can't believe you even wrote this reply. You should try and edit this out before people cry in laughter. Most bulk quarries in our area, as stated earlier in this thread, won't load 1 or two tons with "their" loaders. We have a 5 ton minumum here. Buy it at a local nursery and pay $15/ton. Buy it at the quarry and pay $4.35/ton. It adds up after a while. NO you don't take a machine in the quarry.

#12 - We've never had our trucks stuck so I wouldn't know.

#14 - Show me how your going to move 6 tons of stone and a skidloader at the same time with a small dump trailer.

I'm not saying there's not a place for a small dump trailer for small jobs. I just wouldn't go have 6 sitting around. Most guys that have dump trailers overload them and its a huge liability going down the road. That's why we don't have them. Yes it costs more to set up this type of system but if you have the work to justify it ...it makes more sense. If you don't go get the work. Guys that can't afford to buy a $6k dump trailer probably could stand to take a class in efficiency and pricing jobs correctly, in addition to how to not running a business on credit.

I'll let it go at this.

Grn Mtn
01-05-2007, 01:27 PM
...#3 - You cannot put more weight in a dump trailer than we can in our trucks without having a CDL in PA. Anything over 10k GVW requires a class A CDL. If you have 26000 GWV truck w/o air brakes, you can have a hauling capacity of 12k pounds. Thus enabling you to move a large track skid loader without a CDL. You cannot tell me you are going to put a 9,000 lb payload on a 10k lb trailer and be legal, it doesn't work. okay thank you for explaining this a bit more, because your truck has a higher GVCW, you can pull/hual a heavier load. as to the trailer comment, we are not talking about a 10k trailer, he is looking at a 14k-moot point though

#9 - I can't believe you even wrote this reply. You should try and edit this out before people cry in laughter.:nono: what was that for? Most bulk quarries in our area, as stated earlier in this thread, won't load 1 or two tons with "their" loaders. We have a 5 ton minumum here. last time I checked 14k was 7 ton Buy it at a local nursery and pay $15/ton. Buy it at the quarry and pay $4.35/ton. It adds up after a while. not everyone has this opportunity, I don't have the room to stage that much material left over at my house, but I would love to be able to make that extra profit NO you don't take a machine in the quarry.sorry I miss-read that one

#12 - We've never had our trucks stuck so I wouldn't know.good to know, but my point was just that people "feel" safer in 4wd but end up getting stuck in a ditch in the winter because they went too fast. So "feeling safer" in a bigger truck doesn't make it a great reason to buy a switch-n-go

#14 - Show me how your going to move 6 tons of stone and a skidloader at the same time with a small dump trailer. I never said that:hammerhead: I was asking you if your setup can and if it could cool, again I don't see how a 14' 14k trailer is small-for reference I quoted the original posters comments at the end of this discussion

I'm not saying there's not a place for a small dump trailer for small jobs. I just wouldn't go have 6 sitting around. nor would I, if I could afford 6 dump trailers I would get your system Most guys that have dump trailers overload them and its a huge liability going down the road. That's why we don't have them. how is it more liable than overloading your truck? Yes it costs more to set up this type of system but if you have the work to justify it ...it makes more sense. well duh! If you don't go get the work. Guys that can't afford to buy a $6k dump trailer probably could stand to take a class in efficiency and pricing jobs correctly,now who is going to be embarassed:laugh: thats quite a statement saying that if a guy can't afford the trailer he is doing it wrong. How about the guy just got laid off, has tons of bills and a family, and just spent his money buying the truck and mowers or whatever.... in addition to how to not running a business on credit. assumption about credit. Everything I have in my business is paid cash (except my truck lease) whats to say they guy buying the trailer is running his biz on credit?

I am looking at a tag trailer in the 14-16 foot range and 14k.... I would love a goose, but that is not an option with dump trucks. ...Any thoughts on using one for landscapeing not involving dumping the material on the ground? ...Thanks

Shady brook you definately can have a goose with a dump, here is a picture of my old bosses setup I worked for a bunch of years ago

Travel'n Trees
01-05-2007, 09:00 PM
I lost my job of 12 years. I knew the first thing I needed was a dump truck bought one for 5k used it for a year, then bought a nice duramax, put bed on it for 20k, next move buy another dump (powerjoke) bad move, bought a 90 tree spade, bought a 65 next, now a 42. We did 400k in our 4th year, next year ????? We now have a location and yes we save our extras, in 6 months we now have close to 45 tons of decorative gravel, we also do our own pulverized dirt, bought a pulverizor $900 then made 3k, belt broke $2200, $ 200misc and it sold 5k more in last 6 months.

hoskm01
01-08-2007, 05:58 AM
Hoskmo

I do not understand your comment about counting?

Somebody was harpin on you earlier about your spelling, I was doing same. "Who's counting", like "keeping track", "paying attention", "keeping score" or the like. Whatever, neither here nor there.

Dump trailers are awesome, even a small amount of cleanup in the street is better than 2-3x the hand work to unload a pickup or flat trailer.