PDA

View Full Version : Truck Rental

GravelyGuy
12-29-2006, 01:01 PM
A little while back I needed to rent a skid steer. I don't think my S10 would have like me very much if I tried to tow that with it, so I started calling around to all of the rental places looking for a truck with hitch that I could rent. I could not find anyone around town that would allow people to use their trucks with hitches. They said it risks bending the frame which would not allow resale of the vehicle. The only place I could find was Uhaul. That would look great pulling up in front of a customers house.:rolleyes: I ended up borowing a truck from a friend.

Has anyone else had this problem? Have you been able to find somewhere that let you rent?

Allure
12-29-2006, 01:31 PM
When i rented an f150 from Enterprise they never asked me if i would be towing with it. Not that i needed to though. Best thing was, it didn't say enterprise anywhere on the truck.

NEUSWEDE
12-29-2006, 02:02 PM
ever thought about just having the equipment delivered by the rental company or have a towing company deliver it?

GreenN'Clean
12-29-2006, 02:37 PM
Most Rental places where I live will deliver and pick up the equipment to the job site for an extra $25.00 bucks and it's well worth it.

tthomass
12-29-2006, 03:26 PM
$55 each way here but again, worth it if you can't do it yourself

-not to mention calling just before 5pm and calling off the machine......that way i've still got it until probably noon the next day before the pick it up and just make sure i don't go over 8hrs of usage ;)

GravelyGuy
12-29-2006, 06:55 PM
I guess I could have had it delivered. Nobody ever really mentioned it. I didn't tell them about my dilemma though. When I went there they seen I had a truck so they didn't offer.

tthomass
12-29-2006, 07:04 PM
Who didn't see? The rental place? Just ask what their delivery policy is.

GravelyGuy
12-29-2006, 07:21 PM
I was just saying that when I pulled up to the place to pick up the equipment they could see that I was driving a truck so they did not offer to deliver. Maybe they don't deliver, I don't know.

I rarely use large equipment anyways. I was just wondering in case I ever need to again. It sounds like delivery is the way to go.

GreenN'Clean
12-29-2006, 08:00 PM
If you ever do have equipment delivered make sure your there when they drop it off and have it ready for them to pick it up, because if your using it when they come to get it they will charge for an extra day. They also charge if its not cleaned. Well thats in my area, I'm not sure what rental companies charge in other states

GravelyGuy
12-29-2006, 09:25 PM
Good to know GreenN'Clean. I rent smalll stuff like aerators etc. all the time, but I hardly ever rent the big stuff since I'm mostly maintenance right now.

tthomass
12-29-2006, 09:37 PM
So long as what I'm renting can be put in the back of a F-150 or pulled with an F-150......my rental company will deliver it to me for free. Nice since I don't have to stop by in the mornings and pick up things.

BCF
12-29-2006, 10:34 PM
No shame in pullin gup with a rent Uhaul, unless you work for Hertz.:laugh: I've done and companies I've worked for have done it when a truck was down. But sounds like you shoule look into getting it delivered.

DBL
12-29-2006, 11:19 PM
so what did you ever end up towing it with...Hertz has a commercial division i dont know if they have one close to you but you can rent any truck you want through them and trailers and equipment

GravelyGuy
12-29-2006, 11:27 PM
I ended up towing it with a friends Dodge 2500. I'll have to check on Hertz, but I don't think there is one close to me.

Thanks...

Potchkins
01-13-2007, 07:08 PM
try ryder...?

J&R Landscaping
01-14-2007, 01:12 PM
so what did you ever end up towing it with...Hertz has a commercial division i dont know if they have one close to you but you can rent any truck you want through them and trailers and equipment

Thats what I was thinking!! Hertz will rent out trucks for commercial use. Try United rentals as well. I know they list trucks in their rental catalog.

Where did you rent the skid steer from? Couldn't they have just delivered it to your jobsite?

Potchkins
01-14-2007, 04:43 PM
A little while back I needed to rent a skid steer. I don't think my S10 would have like me very much if I tried to tow that with it, so I started calling around to all of the rental places looking for a truck with hitch that I could rent. I could not find anyone around town that would allow people to use their trucks with hitches. They said it risks bending the frame which would not allow resale of the vehicle. The only place I could find was Uhaul. That would look great pulling up in front of a customers house.:rolleyes: I ended up borowing a truck from a friend.

Has anyone else had this problem? Have you been able to find somewhere that let you rent?

How bout replacing your S-10 with a bigger truck?

Mr.Mow-It-All
01-14-2007, 10:02 PM
What about Home Depot? I see there trucks all the time at the store that say rent me on them. They are either f-250 or 350's and have a dump bed on them.

Potchkins
01-14-2007, 10:20 PM
What about Home Depot? I see there trucks all the time at the store that say rent me on them. They are either f-250 or 350's and have a dump bed on them.

Home Depot goes by the hour... that could get expensive