PDA

View Full Version : Do you own other businesses?

N.TX
12-29-2006, 04:27 PM
Do any of you own other businesses along with a long care business. If you do do you work it in with your lawn business in any way.

Pennings Gardens
12-29-2006, 04:34 PM
My wife and me own a garden center, we offer snow removal so lawn-care and landscaping is a logic next step...
My wife started the garden center while I was still doing my sales job, Since Feb. of 06 i'm here full time and we are looking for ways to grow our business

LawnScapers of Dayton
12-29-2006, 04:47 PM
Property management business with rental property.....

charger
12-29-2006, 04:53 PM
during the day i work at a new holland dealer,at night i own a small engine repair shop which we fix just about everything, we also just started a landscaping business! it will be an interesting spring!!!

stumpslawncare
12-29-2006, 04:54 PM
I own an Asphalt Late Model Race Team,

Mess around with video production (More of a hobby than a Job)

Own some rental Property.

Full time Deputy Sheriff

I like to stay busy!! BTW I am only 26

gibsonsg311
12-29-2006, 05:00 PM
last year my dad and i started an ATM cleaning business, im 17 so when im not doing lawns in the summer or doing nothing in the winter i clean.

GreenN'Clean
12-29-2006, 06:25 PM
I own 2 other businesses besides my lawn care business and thinking about getting back into buying and selling real estate

J&R
12-29-2006, 07:16 PM
I have a Coin Shop deal in all US coins buy & sell.

cilc
12-29-2006, 08:32 PM
Full time Firefighter, Fuller time Landscaper.

meets1
12-29-2006, 09:16 PM
Lawn care, landscape and everything in b/t 1 company. Construction - roofing, decking, cement, etc - another company. Also own a storage unit facility.

AlleganyLawnCare
12-29-2006, 10:30 PM
Work as a full-time nurse overnight and just started a family entertainment center company. Use to own a military and medieval hobby store. Still have alot of the inventory (wife didn't like having tons of swords and knives around) packed up.

desert rose gardening
12-30-2006, 12:11 AM
I have one of my 15 acres planted in Christmas trees. I'm going to plant another acre next year.

ED'S LAWNCARE
12-30-2006, 12:32 AM
full time manufacturing supervisor, part-time lawnservice, horse farm, full time lawnsite:laugh: :laugh:

DuraCutter
12-30-2006, 01:33 AM
Do any of you own other businesses along with a long care business. If you do do you work it in with your lawn business in any way.

I work as a night security guard, a full time lifeguard, go to school, am an lco, deliver newspapers and lately they tell me I'm going to be full time resident at our local phychiatric ward. :cry: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

crzymow
12-30-2006, 01:34 AM
I also own a small grape farm

1MajorTom
12-30-2006, 01:35 AM
I have one of my 15 acres planted in Christmas trees. I'm going to plant another acre next year.

We would LOVE to have acreage to do that. How's it working out for you??

Jason Pallas
12-30-2006, 10:25 PM
How do small grapes differ from regular sized grapes?

RICHIE K
12-31-2006, 08:49 AM
A property management service and a Disposal service. My wife owns a medical billing service and this coming year we are getting into roll off containers

JJLandscapes
12-31-2006, 11:12 AM
Run a medium size book wholesale business and we also do online sales

jeffex
12-31-2006, 09:03 PM
www.Deckdoctorpressurewashing.com I have been doing this for 16 yrs and added mowing. The 2 businesses go well together . When I get a drought I can do more powerwashing and the lawn business is more predictable and steady income.

zero_turn_mowers
01-01-2007, 04:10 AM
Sell Commerical Lawn Equipment, Buy-n-Sell Houses, Built a few New Ones (bout 1 a year) and Rental Property (For Retirement).

Tim

MOW ED
01-01-2007, 08:59 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
Jason, that one made me laugh out loud in a quiet house this New Year morning.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

mc24034
01-01-2007, 02:38 PM
lawncare business.... and a Direct selling business that is amazing.

ribbie78
01-01-2007, 06:01 PM
Full time elementary teacher and starting this up since summers off get so boring :laugh:

greentibi
01-01-2007, 10:42 PM
Yes! I own a promotional products company. The benefit here is I purchase all my magnetic truck signs and all other products to promote my landscape maintenance business from my self.

battags
01-01-2007, 11:34 PM
Property management business with rental property.....

Ditto here. Full time police officer, in addition to owning three duplexes and maintaining 36 weekly residential and commercial mowing accounts throughout the summer. I would add that I plow snow all winter, but I haven't seen much this year.......

corey1977
01-02-2007, 09:33 AM
full time seasonal city cemetery care taker part time mowing business

Willofalltrades
01-02-2007, 12:33 PM
last year my dad and i started an ATM cleaning business, im 17 so when im not doing lawns in the summer or doing nothing in the winter i clean.

ATM cleaning... hmmm thats interesting. Is there a market for it? How do you get customers? What do you have to do? Tell me about this.

MJK
01-02-2007, 01:04 PM
I own an Asphalt Late Model Race Team,

Mess around with video production (More of a hobby than a Job)

Own some rental Property.

Full time Deputy Sheriff

I like to stay busy!! BTW I am only 26

Wow how did you do all that at such a young age? I"m 21, can you toss me some info?

jeffex
01-05-2007, 04:17 PM
Yes what about atm cleaning ? How did you get started in that business.

Hard Worker
01-05-2007, 09:44 PM
Yes we do trash-outs for mortgage companies and banks. We also keep the yards cut til their sold. We have a crew that does that trash-outs and then turn them over to the mowing crew to keep them cut.

Ed Ryder
01-05-2007, 11:02 PM
I've had a travel services firm in Russia for over 5 years. Saint Petersburg and Moscow are very exciting cities to visit. If any of you guys want to go over, I can have an English-speaking guide and driver waiting for you at the airport in either of these cities. We can also assist corporate relocation companies with their client's needs. I've lived over there for about 7 months and I'm well-connected. Two managers run this business for me. I can hook you up in Kiev, Ukraine as well. That is also a very nice, very exciting city to visit.

Actually, now that I think about it, maybe we could get a group of some single Lawnsite guys to go over? It's easy to meet women over there. And the weather over there is not bad at all right now, nothing like last winter. I'd recommend Saint Petersburg as the first stop. We could have a lawncare conference over there to make the trip deductible as a business expense :) Really! Should we kick this idea around?

I also am in the fine art business. I represent one very talented artist and I've been engaged in this venture since 2002. The details are a bit proprietary.

I like to write, and have written several books on various topics. My most recent is about getting a fresh start through debt abandonment. I thought it would be a big money maker since the bankruptcy reform law of 2005 made getting a fresh start much more difficult. I wrote a great book, unlike anything else out there, spent my whole winter on it last year, refined it further, and then came to the realization that I'd be a target of legal predators. I could only move forward with author's liability insurance. In the end I decided the fallout of the book would be too much trouble. Oh well... I'm on to my next project. I like to read the posts and participate here on Lawnsite as a mental break from my creative work.

I like grass cutting partly because I get 3 or 4 months off and ordinarily during the winters I am outside of the country traveling somewhere. I gave myself a damn groin hernia though, which I'll be getting fixed this month, so no international travel until it's fixed and I'm sure everything is okay. I like to go to crazy, different places. It makes me feel alive.

Hard Worker
01-06-2007, 02:13 PM
Sounds like a very interesting life you lead. How do you have time to cut grass?

Gatewayuser
01-06-2007, 02:36 PM
I own a lawn care / landscape company full time with 3 employees.
Part owner in a landscape lighting business.
I am a Town council man, it's only 1 day a month sometimes more ($30 an hr).
Volunteer fire fighter and EMT.
A distributor for Mona Vie.
I will be starting a towing business in a year or two and 2 other companies that I don't want to announce because I want to be established 1st within a 6 months.

Duekster
01-06-2007, 02:44 PM
I do some side jobs but I don't actually do much of the mowing either. I have a business partner that runs the crews. I don't take a lot of money out of the business.

WALKER LANDSCAPE
01-06-2007, 02:45 PM
We clean outs and retros for a real estate broker. Spruce it up for Re-sale.
It helps through the winter.

mc24034
03-09-2007, 12:49 AM
A distributor for Mona Vie.
months.

Hows that going for you? Im in Indy.... im making anywhere between 700-1000$ a week. Has the product helped you out alot?

grasshoppers lawncare
03-09-2007, 01:20 AM
my wife and I own a archery proshop.Our lawncare buisness complements our archery buisness as both are seasonal.

Scag48
03-09-2007, 02:15 AM
Work full time in a restaurant, going to college full time, getting back into lawn care after being out for 18 months. I also offer professional photography services for weddings, events, portraits, etc.

Stinchcomb Lawn
03-09-2007, 03:32 AM
I'm a full time Police Chief, part time lawn and tree business. In the winter I cut and sell fire wood.

Woody82986
03-09-2007, 09:49 AM
Full time college student at UNT. We're going to the NCAA Tournament! I own my lawn care company, I also write columns for several sports websites... I don't guess I really own any other businesses though. I would like to in the future.

meathead1134
03-09-2007, 10:47 AM
I'm a full time Police Chief, part time lawn and tree business. In the winter I cut and sell fire wood.

Full time police chief and lawn and tress business nice good for you. I wanted to become a cop but up here its very political and other reasons (that i will not say on this forum) why I cannot get in that are out of my control

topsites
03-09-2007, 10:57 AM
The two dots are mine, it's all integrated but I suppose the portal could be considered that.

scchamblee
03-11-2007, 07:39 PM
I am a LICENCED & INSURED(I know how people are bout them licences and insurance) Real Estate Agent.... I love the work but commission only pay sucks!!!!!

mc24034
03-12-2007, 09:49 PM
Yeah I like my other job better than this one. Alot more time and money invested in getting this business up and running. If I were older and in a better financial situation id quit this business and concentrate on the other.... but at 22 i want to get both businesses going to be able to live a financially free life!

fastpitcher
03-12-2007, 09:56 PM
Geez.... dosn't any body make enough or have enough to do with just landscaping? And yes I am guilty too.. I own a industrial machine repair company. We fix machines that fill milk cartons.
rick

nriddle77
03-12-2007, 10:07 PM
Janitorial and window washing for me. I like having a variety of work to keep things interesting

Albemarle Lawn
03-13-2007, 12:07 AM
The dumpsters are great for mulch for the lawn biz, not just trash.

We fill a dumpster with about 30 cubic yards of bulk mulch, then it can service several small jobs with little mess. We just drop off the dumpster the night before. The big roll-off truck is great for toting the skidsteer, etc.

mc24034
03-13-2007, 12:18 AM
Im involved in a company called Monavie.... is anyone else on here a distributor?

procut
03-13-2007, 12:20 AM
Geez.... dosn't any body make enough or have enough to do with just landscaping?

I guess I'm the only one. Lawn care, landscaping and snow removal, thats it.

advanced-prolawn
03-13-2007, 12:57 AM
I am a full time student. During the fall and early winter I clean chimneys. It pays good, but for a good reason. I also fit in a few pressure washing jobs.

battags
03-13-2007, 01:09 AM

I sure do wish my Chief could respect someone who decides to do something other than law enforcement! Good for you!

Maybe one day, if I keep my sanity and don't go out on an early disability due to the stress caused by inept leadership and management, I can make Chief and still keep my business on the side.

The best thing about owning a business is that you only have to answer to the customers. The worst is the instability and unpredictable nature of owning your own small business. No perfect world either way, right?

Brian

powerstroke
05-24-2007, 09:25 PM
I run a full service lawn and landscape company, a property flipping company, a painting company, an irrigation company and a full time college student at 21. But I dont have much free time.

KTO Enterprises
05-24-2007, 09:37 PM
I own an online adult toy and dvd store. LOL

CustomKare
05-25-2007, 01:37 AM
While looking for ways to advertise I found advertising to be very expensive.
I am currently looking to create a Local Resource guide for small business. This resource similar to the yellow pages but less expensive. This will cater to independents that cannot afford traditional advertising. A semi anual subscription that will be direct mailed to targeted zip codes. From drywallers to plumbers I will offer ad spots similar to val pack but in a book form to make it worth keeping. Seniors especially will find it useful to find someone local and reasonable. Still in the R&D stage

huh
05-25-2007, 03:26 AM

smaller berries means a lower pulp to skin ratio which means more complex flavors (and usually deeper color in reds) in the bottle :clapping: :cool2:

hustlers
05-25-2007, 07:59 AM
coffee farmer--southern mexico
mexican coffee buyer/exporter
tree farm-80 acres
rental property
investment land
26 years old--but feel like 75--Im beat up:usflag: