PDA

View Full Version : Pick up truck or Dump Truck?

CHLANDSCAPE11
12-29-2006, 06:11 PM
Im mostly just lawn mowing, Spring/Fall Clean up. Will a pick up truck be just fine? How do guys with just pick ups haul all the leaves and sticks in the spring. Ill have an ez dumper for fall with the leaf box. But for now I have about 30 accounts will a pickup truck be good enough? How do you guys Haul mulch? Do you mostly get it delivered right to the job site.

GreenN'Clean
12-29-2006, 07:02 PM
I have a f250 with an ez dumper and its worked fine for me. Although if you have the money a dump truck is the way to go, but a pick up will work.

GreenN'Clean
12-29-2006, 07:05 PM
I can usually carry 5 yards of mulch in my pick up with ez dumper. If its a huge job that needs 10 yards or more I will have it delivered to save time, its worth the extra $35 dollar delivery fee they charge. Id like to get a decent ford dump this year to add to my fleet

tthomass
12-29-2006, 07:37 PM
pickup will work but if you can get a dump then by all means do so...........you'll find other uses and if your business expands into other ventures you'll be ready

RedWingsDet
12-29-2006, 09:10 PM
Pickup will be fine. You dont even need a ezdumper if your doing grass and leaves. Just Layer it in tarps and then you can just pull the tarps right out... Thats what alot of guys around here do and better than spending $2,500 on an ezdumper.

Accu-cut Lawn Care
12-30-2006, 12:10 AM
I use a 12' twin axle trailer with 2' sidewalls to haul mulch. i don't have it delivered because most of it is red mulch and emptying it out in a driveway or parking lot would make a huge red stain. I can haul up to 10 yds at a time.

Total Landscape Solutions
12-30-2006, 10:40 AM
Green,
How tall are your sideboards on your ez-dumper that you fit 5 cy.?

WALKER LANDSCAPE
12-30-2006, 10:45 AM
If you have the payup buy a dump truck. We have F250 diesels and 7000#
Bri-mar dump trailer. Anything over five yards is delivered.

GreenN'Clean
12-30-2006, 11:33 AM
Green,
How tall are your sideboards on your ez-dumper that you fit 5 cy.?

32" sideboards, I gotta pack it in there though to get 5. It holds 4 with no problem

GreenN'Clean
12-30-2006, 11:35 AM
Pickup will be fine. You dont even need a ezdumper if your doing grass and leaves. Just Layer it in tarps and then you can just pull the tarps right out... Thats what alot of guys around here do and better than spending $2,500 on an ezdumper.

Thats true but I haul stone,mulch,dirt as well as grass/leaves. If someone is only going to do leaves and grass then a pick up without a ez dumper will work. But hauling dirt,mulch,stone etc, I just pull up dump it and it saves on the back from shoveling

Total Landscape Solutions
12-30-2006, 07:44 PM
At 5cu.yd. plus the weight of the truck, side boards and ez-dump how close are you to max GVW?
Or should we even discuss it?:)

Jpocket
12-30-2006, 09:55 PM
If you are only going to have one truck a dump is the way to go. The next best thing would be a pick-up with a dump insert, I used to have one, worked well. Only draw back is having an electric hoist.