PDA

View Full Version : Lesco

Crewcutlawncare
12-29-2006, 08:07 PM
Anyone here use a Lesco mower on commercial properties? I have one and I am thinking about selling it. What are your opinions on it? As far as the bagging system? Also, this is going to be my second year, and I dont know if I can afford an Exmark, so please let me know what you think would be the best route to take.

Envy Lawn Service
12-30-2006, 02:13 AM
I have a newer Lesco Ztwo.
Great machine.
I don't bag with it though... sorry.
I know some people who do though.

I like mine a lot better than the eXmark overall.
Not as sharp looking, but a better overall tool.

Crewcutlawncare
12-30-2006, 01:05 PM
Have you ever had any issues with scalping the lawns? Do you know if you can also put a striping kit on it? One last question. Can you ask people that you know if I can get the exmark type bagging system. Where you can lock the back end so it doesnt bounce up and down, and get the hard plastic bags. Also a bigger impeller setup.

Thanks.

DUSTYCEDAR
12-30-2006, 01:08 PM
WHERE in pa r u ?

Crewcutlawncare
12-30-2006, 04:50 PM
I'm in Northeastern PA

Envy Lawn Service
12-30-2006, 10:19 PM
Have you ever had any issues with scalping the lawns? Do you know if you can also put a striping kit on it? One last question. Can you ask people that you know if I can get the exmark type bagging system. Where you can lock the back end so it doesnt bounce up and down, and get the hard plastic bags. Also a bigger impeller setup.

Thanks.

I have the 60" unit and I have had ZERO issues with scalping. I've owned mowers 48" and under that scalped more than this thing does. The reason is because this mower is set up sooo well. If you notice, the tires are nice and tight up on the deck. No big gaps in between like pretty much all the other brands have now. Plus it has 4 anti-scalp wheels out on the edges of the deck, plus a nose roller in the middle..... and it also has a row of rollers right on the back of the deck between the rear tires.... which also doubles as a striping roller when set in the lower position.

Yes, you can get an eXmark type bagger for it, regardless of which type you mean.
Peco and Protero make "Dump-from-seat" collection systems for it.
Peco uses a pony motor and aluminum bin ($2,675)
Protero gives you the choice of pony motor, spindle drive or PTO drive and a plastic bin ($2,450)

Trac-Vac has the trash can and tow behind types.
Cyclone Rake and DR also make tow behinds.

Lesco offers a 3-bagger system that is far less expensive.
The catcher system is $504.
The induction blower system to make it 'powered' is $546.
Out the door for $1,050 + tax.

This system differs from all other 3-baggers in that the induction blower is not "in-line' where the material flows through the fan housing and then up the tube. It has a spindle driven blower that is 'piped into' (induction) the lower front of the discharge boot.... as seen here....

http://www.lesco.com/NoCompression/GetData.aspx?Type=ProdResource&ID=1605

This is the bag setup.

http://www.lesco.com/NoCompression/GetData.aspx?Type=ProdResource&ID=1607

I have no idea how well it all works though....

I'm sure if you really wanted the solid plastic buckets for it, you could probably find some for something else that would fit it. I'm also sure that if you really wanted a big 'in-line' propeller system, you could fit the Universal Blower Kit ($870) from Protero in place of the stock boot.

Also, here is a link to a thread of mine on the bagging subject.
Don't know if it will help at all or not.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=162817

Personally, I couldn't make an informed decision, so I just bought RedMax 8001 Blowers for what I was going to do with it. I might try either the Lesco 3-bagger or a jumbo side catcher from Accelerator sometime in the future. I just have too-too LITTLE use for a collection system to pay $2,450-$2,675 for one.

Envy Lawn Service
12-30-2006, 10:31 PM

Thanks.

I have the 60" unit and I have had ZERO issues with scalping. I've owned mowers 48" and under that scalped more than this thing does. The reason is because this mower is set up sooo well. If you notice, the tires are nice and tight up on the deck. No big gaps in between like pretty much all the other brands have now. Plus it has 4 anti-scalp wheels out on the edges of the deck, plus a nose roller in the middle..... and it also has a row of rollers right on the back of the deck between the rear tires.... which also doubles as a striping roller when set in the lower position.

Yes, you can get an eXmark type bagger for it, regardless of which type you mean.

http://www.lawnvac.com/products/photos/productpics23.jpg

Or a pony motor and a single bin... or double bin on trailing castors ($ ?,???)

http://www.lawnvac.com/products/photos/productpics40.jpg

Or a pony motor and 3 bagger ($ ?,???)

http://www.proteroinc.com/New%20web%20pictures/Home%20Page%20Pictures/Enlarged%20images/Front%20Page%20images/IS1500%20RIGHT.JPG[/url]

Protero gives you the choice of pony motor, spindle drive or PTO drive and a plastic bin ($2,450)

This system differs from all other 3-baggers in that the induction blower is not "in-line' where the material flows through the fan housing and then up the tube. It has a spindle driven blower that is 'piped into' (induction) the lower front of the discharge boot.... as seen here....

This is the bag setup.

I'm sure if you really wanted the solid plastic buckets for it, you could probably find some for something else that would fit it. I'm also sure that if you really wanted a big 'in-line' propeller system, you could fit the Universal Blower Kit ($870) from Protero in place of the stock boot.

Personally, I couldn't make an informed decision, so I just bought RedMax 8001 Blowers for what I was going to do with it. I might try either the Lesco 3-bagger or a jumbo side catcher from Accelerator sometime in the future. I just have too-too LITTLE use for a collection system to pay $2,450-$2,675 for one.

Envy Lawn Service
12-30-2006, 10:32 PM
******** oops

I ended up with two posts when I edited the first one

Uranus
12-30-2006, 10:43 PM
Envy- in the first pic is that the blower style instead of a sucsion style bagging unit? If so how do you like it?

Envy Lawn Service
12-30-2006, 11:46 PM
Envy- in the first pic is that the blower style instead of a sucsion style bagging unit? If so how do you like it?

Yes, the blower is not 'in' the bagger tube, but rather it blows are into the tube via that pipe going into the front of the discharge boot... which blows the debris on up the tube into the bags.

Sorry, I don't own this bagger and induction blower, else I would gladly share a review.

My personal assumption is that this setup is mechanically trouble free and lasts forever without expensive replacement impellers and such.... but the trade off would be that since the debris does not pass through the impeller, there is no additional reduction..... which is not at all a huge downfall so long as it's mounted to a Ztwo. (it has the finest chopped discharge I've seen).

But the million dollar question is...
"How well does this unorthodox configuration prevent clogging?"

I have no idea how it compares to a conventional setup.
I guess it would cost me $1,050 to find out.

Uranus
12-30-2006, 11:56 PM
The local dixie dealer wanted me to buy on off him. Small time dealer. It looked pretty nice and in theory it should work well. Sounds like it accelerates the clippings up the tube. If reduction is an issue why not put a gator blade on the discharge side. I'm sure we will hear about them by summer. Someone out there will buy one and share with us. Who know it could be the way of the future. No pony motor to buy and no rocks destroying impellers and crank shafts.

Envy Lawn Service
12-31-2006, 12:07 AM
The local dixie dealer wanted me to buy on off him. Small time dealer. It looked pretty nice and in theory it should work well. Sounds like it accelerates the clippings up the tube. If reduction is an issue why not put a gator blade on the discharge side. I'm sure we will hear about them by summer. Someone out there will buy one and share with us. Who know it could be the way of the future. No pony motor to buy and no rocks destroying impellers and crank shafts.

Well, that's my thoughts also.

As far as the reduction... well in my opinion you don't need it on a Ztwo. With regular blades everything comes out sooo fine. It's one of the few that actually cuts fine with Gator blades on also. So that really helps destroy the leaves.

But some people will say reduction is reduction I guess. And I guess the more you can get, the more time saved from less emptying. True, but in my opinion, the lack of wear and tear for this type setup might just save you back your losses in time and money.

If "I" were going to buy one of the powered collection systems for the Ztwo's...
"I" would take a gamble on this one before I'd pay 2-3 grand for the others.
But that's just me.

I'm not a serious "bagger" like some guys though.

Crewcutlawncare
12-31-2006, 01:23 AM
Well I have the catcher setup... but i am just not happy with the blower and the bags. I thought the blower would be much bigger and more powerful like the exmark ultra-vac system. I also thought that it would have the clamshell type casing on the bottom of the bags.

Envy Lawn Service
12-31-2006, 01:48 AM
Well I have the catcher setup... but i am just not happy with the blower and the bags. I thought the blower would be much bigger and more powerful like the exmark ultra-vac system. I also thought that it would have the clamshell type casing on the bottom of the bags.

Well, there were supposed to be two more pictures in post #7 but they are not there.
Aggrivating forum sometimes....

Anyways, it's OK though because the pics will help here....
Let's try again with captions from above...

"Protero gives you the choice of pony motor, spindle drive or PTO drive and a plastic bin ($2,450)"

http://www.proteroinc.com/New%20web%20pictures/Home%20Page%20Pictures/Enlarged%20images/Front%20Page%20images/IS1500%20RIGHT.JPG

And there was one missing on the Peco pictures too....

Or a pony motor and 3 bagger ($ ?,???)"
Which is actually incorrect... it's either PTO or spindle driven, not a pony motor.

http://www.lawnvac.com/products/images/PROBAGGERWEB4.jpg

And here is another for good measure...

2 bin on castor frame...

http://www.lawnvac.com/products/images/PRO14WEB1.jpg

With these pics I'm trying to head were I think you are wanting to go.

The TOP picture of the PRO VAC is what I was referring to in the previous post....

"I'm sure if you really wanted the solid plastic buckets for it, you could probably find some for something else that would fit it. I'm also sure that if you really wanted a big 'in-line' propeller system, you could fit the Universal Blower Kit ($870) from Protero in place of the stock boot."

.... although now I am confused as to rather you want 3 plastic buckets or a 'dump from seat' type instead of the 3 bags/buckets.

jkingrph
12-31-2006, 04:12 PM

This is the bag setup.

I had what "looks" like an identical unit on a cub cadet lawn tractor back in
'90, at least same bag and cover/collector assembly. Nothing was driven off of deck. It did ok collecting grass but, dust was horrible. I was nasty when finishing, and with just over 1.5 acres filled bags too fast. It did not take me too long to abandon idea of bagging/collecting.