PDA

View Full Version : What your manual advise

dhardin53
12-30-2006, 12:29 AM
And or what your procedure for engaing your elctric PTOs. Do you engage at 1. dle, 2. half throdle, 3. or full throdle?

What do you feel is better for extending life of the cluch and the belts?

FATWEASEL
12-30-2006, 12:53 AM
Half throttle which is enough to not bog the motor or cause excessive wear to the clutch/brake. 27hp/61"

:)

dwlah
12-30-2006, 04:15 AM
The sticker says 1/2 throttle on mine
so thats what i do most of the time

02DURAMAX
12-30-2006, 04:32 AM
Most of the time I engage mine at half throttle or less...

Richard Martin
12-30-2006, 05:32 AM
My manual says to engage at full throttle (Ferris 36) but I try to only do it at half throttle.

chuck bow
12-30-2006, 07:38 AM
About 3/4 throttle if any less i can see the belt on the deck flop around like crazy which i dont think is good on the clutch or belt and idlers either . i also idle down some before turning pto off then let mower go thru a cool down cycle before turning it off ( about 2 mins i guess ) .

Runner
12-30-2006, 08:33 AM
Yep. If you want to save clutch wear, it's not so much the rpm's that it has when it is engaged, but when it is DISengaged that it wears on the brake and the air gap. Let it idle all the way down to an idle first, and slow all the way down - THEN disengage it. This will increase your clutches life greatly.

dhardin53
12-30-2006, 12:49 PM
thanks guys, I get a lot of different opinions about this from the so called experts around here. But it seems the general consences here is the same as my opinin and experence.

I work on other guys machines and are all ways changing belts and cluchs. I ask then to not high RPM there mowers and help make the belts last. but they dont, so i change them for them repeately.They think it a bad mower.

ed2hess
12-30-2006, 02:31 PM
It is also kinda important not to start the blades if the deck is sitting down in tall grass or is loaded up with grass.

Tadams
12-30-2006, 06:31 PM
Half throttle under normal cutting. Almost full throttle if I am using the ultra vac on the lazer.

Uranus
12-30-2006, 06:40 PM
Are you ready to scream at me? Lazer 27 liquid cooled with ultra vac on 100% of the time.
I start mower at half throtle and lower rpms down once it fires.
Warm up for 30 second and back off the trailer at 3/4 to full throtle.
Thats for the first lawn of the day. If mower was running before Its half throtle to start and back off.
I drve to driveway and turn on blads and finish throtling up sometimes at full throtle when starting.
Mow the lawn and blast back to the trailer. Fly up the ramp and park it. Throtle all the way down in one motion and then straight to the key. Off it goes. no cool down time. It's liquid cooled. Does it matter? I'm asking.
String trimmers get started with a full grip on the throtle and shut off within one second of last use.
OK did I just lose some respect or what?

RedMax Man
12-30-2006, 07:00 PM
I engage the blades on my Walker at Half and on the Toro at Full. I don't need to grip the throttle on my trimmers and other handhelds when starting them. I just push the switch to on, engage the choke, prime it, pull the cord till it starts, disengage the choke, let it warm up for a few seconds and then put it to work.