PDA

View Full Version : got first sales flier today...

Chop Stuff Up
12-29-2006, 11:58 PM
Its december and in the northeast, and its nowhere near the season to be cutting grass. We just got a flier that says "the first cut is always free" by so and so lawn service.

1MajorTom
12-30-2006, 12:03 AM
Some say it's never too early to be planning ahead. The only thing I can think of is maybe they are hoping the potential customer still has the bad taste in their mouth from poor service they received from another company this year, and maybe worse even a bad fall clean up. Come spring the customer may have lost that bad taste and end up sticking with their current service. Advertising early like this may get the advertiser some calls from unhappy customers who used a bad lawn service.

Personally we wouldn't advertise now, but I'm curious to hear if anyone has advertised at this time, and gotten good results.

ALarsh
12-30-2006, 01:53 AM
I had my guy out yesterday advertising for snowplowing and lawn mowing... always advertise.

carcrz
12-30-2006, 08:55 AM
I advertise in mid-December, early February, early July, and late August. The first 3 being for mowing & landscape maintenance, & the last being for lawn renovations. Ever notice how many fliers you get in the mail from the big companies? I get them throughout the entire season, probably once a month or sometimes more.

nmez21
12-30-2006, 11:08 AM
It is said that it takes 3 sets of advertisements of soemthing before it is usually noticed and considered. Think of TV commercials for example... -Whitmire MicroGen sales rep.

Team-Green L&L
12-30-2006, 11:31 AM
It would seem that the "big" companies could slow down ads to stabilize growth, but that is not the case.

It does take 3-4 runs to be noticed and, amazingly, if you use the same 5000 home mailing list all season you will have a better response each month. It usually dissipates at 5-6% or so, but it speaks wonders about repeat marketing. The $1000 a month in mailings will turn you $10,000 a month, progressively, in profits for your first 3 years of growth.

Keep in mind that these numbers are only as effeceint as your company's ability to produce.

Uranus
12-30-2006, 11:39 AM
I've been in my house for 7 years now and have never recieved anything from anyone other than chem lawn. I only sent out 500 mailers last year and ran an add for 8 weeks in the spring advertising cleanups and mowings. 46 accounts and gross over 75 thousand later I think I had a good first year solo. I'll be advertising again in mid march until the end of april this year. I'm hoping to get 30-35 more accounts. The nice part is now I can pick and choose witch onces to take on. Oh yea I'm only focusing one one town.

GreenN'Clean
12-30-2006, 11:40 AM
I personally wouldn't do that this time of year in my state because most people that get fliers will most likely toss them in the trash this early. Most don't want to have extra mail hanging around until mowing season.

terrapro
01-03-2007, 04:29 PM
I personally wouldn't do that this time of year in my state because most people that get fliers will most likely toss them in the trash this early. Most don't want to have extra mail hanging around until mowing season.

its not if they hang onto the flyer or not its the introducing your business to a potential customer. now if they get another flyer from you or see you down the road they can say to them selves "oh hey its that guy, hmm i think ill call them next time we get a flyer". :)

Total.Lawn.Care
01-03-2007, 04:41 PM
its not if they hang onto the flyer or not its the introducing your business to a potential customer. now if they get another flyer from you or see you down the road they can say to them selves "oh hey its that guy, hmm i think ill call them next time we get a flyer". :)

Bingo, I am starting to flyer now. Trying to hit all of the neighborhoods I want to work in. Then I plan on running 6-8 weeks worth of ads from Mid Feb throught the end of March or Mid April and re-flyering those same neighborhoods while the ad is running. I am hoping to keep my name in front of these potential customers so that when they thin of calling someone, my company will be a household name and I will get the call....

If I can grow from my 25-30 customers to about 65-75 this year, I can call quites to my J O B and get out full time....