PDA

View Full Version : Yard

RedWingsDet
12-30-2006, 01:59 AM
This is my yard, the building on the left is the shop, and the shed in back is for tools and such when its winter.

The yard is 40x60 and the shop is 40x20.

If anyone has any ideas on how to organize the trucks and trailers better please let me know. It is very tight, but for now its not a big deal because its winter, but in the spring we have to figure something out.... Im thinking of putting a 10ft swing gate on the right of the fence.

LindblomRJ
12-30-2006, 02:57 AM
Do you leave the trailer hooked up to the pickup during the landscaping season? If so I would back them side by side right in from the current gate. You could back straight in, pull straight out.

I would then park the trucks that are not pulling trailers to the right of the two trailers. If possible I would back in the trailers so there is enough room to get supplies and to the storage shed and area.

Or you can add the swing away gate and park the truck trailer combinations on the right hand side and vehicles with no trailers to the left side. Either way I would think you want to able get to the back side of your building.

RedMax Man
12-30-2006, 11:16 AM
If the 2 trailers stay hitched to the trucks most of the time then park them side by side behind the gate where your sign is mounted and park the rest of the trucks infront of the fence in the back where the boat is.
Is it alway muddy or just in the spring and winter. maybe you could lay some crushed stone.

DUSTYCEDAR
12-30-2006, 11:21 AM
sell the boat and the van and youll have more space lol
u have it about as good as is gets

RedWingsDet
12-30-2006, 12:20 PM
Thanks guys....

Trailers stay hooked up....

Thats not mud, I just had 40 Yards of 21-aa put down and tamped.

Lawn Enforcer
12-30-2006, 07:54 PM
Yeah, I'm w/ Red Max Man's idea. Nice stuff, how bout some shop pics?

tthomass
12-30-2006, 08:31 PM
can you park in the shop? i would def limit what material you keep on hand

Lawnworks
12-31-2006, 02:23 AM
Are all those trucks yours or do you share w/ somebody? Are all those pallets yours? pavers?

RedWingsDet
12-31-2006, 02:25 AM
Are all those trucks yours or do you share w/ somebody? Are all those pallets yours? pavers?

I own the yard, I own the shop, Pavers are mine, but the Blue F350 and White 3500 and blue trailer are not mine. I let me buddy store his there. EVerything else is mine tho

Lawnworks
12-31-2006, 02:29 PM
Impressive!!! How old are you?

tthomass
12-31-2006, 03:00 PM
Can you lose the pallets? Is your buddy's stuff there all year? Can you put a garage door on the front or side of your building and park a truck inside?

RedWingsDet
12-31-2006, 03:10 PM
Lawnworks, im 18.

thomas. Yes, his stuff is there all year. As far as the pallets, yet I can lose them, its all bricks, theres about 12 pallets with pavers on them, I want to sell them, but I havent even tried yet.
Yes, Im getting one put on in the Back in the spring.

KS_Grasscutter
12-31-2006, 03:43 PM
Lawnworks, im 18.

thomas. Yes, his stuff is there all year. As far as the pallets, yet I can lose them, its all bricks, theres about 12 pallets with pavers on them, I want to sell them, but I havent even tried yet.
Yes, Im getting one put on in the Back in the spring.

Wow, your 18 and have all that!? SWEET! So are you out of school or just working part time? Wow, I REALLY doubt I am anywhere near that far along at 18 lol.

Lawnworks
12-31-2006, 06:34 PM
I think real estate is a smart investment... especially when your younger.

Lawnsmithcare
12-31-2006, 06:51 PM
I love that man. I can't wait till I get something like that.

RedWingsDet
12-31-2006, 07:24 PM
I go to school Full time, 12 credit hours, and maintain about 100 properties in the summer, and over 60 snow accounts. Plus we do alot of sod and mulch installs.

It all adds up...

I forgot to mention, next to the shop is a house that I have too. They didnt want to sell the building and lot without selling the house too. So I guess I got a 3 in one deal. Plus renting the house covers the mortage on all 3 places.

tthomass
12-31-2006, 07:50 PM
whats_your_compay_history..........sorry_my_keyoard_is_almost_dead.........thaks_for_the_1_week_old_ laptop_thats_almost_dead_DELL!!!

RedWingsDet
12-31-2006, 08:01 PM
haha, did you spill something on it?

History, is I started off shoveling driveways when I was 15. Then once I got my license I cut 10 lawns, that went to 30 then it kept going. After my first year I became legit with insurance and all and just put the business name in a realitives so I was being 100% legal.... That was 4 years ago. Now, we switched it into my name, all my own stuff, built from the ground up, by me.

tthomass
12-31-2006, 08:58 PM
had to get on another computer............

off topic: Dell misprinted an ad for Inspiron 6400/1gb memory for $650 vs $850.............so I jumped on it and got it. I've had it for a week and the mother board is taking a crap on me and not all the keys on the keyboard work or are failing. They're send'n me a new one though.

Congrats on your business. I'm 22 and know I'm much further ahead of others my age and then there's those of us like you who are even younger. Just shows with hard work and the right attitude etc....comes down to the "idividual" determining how successful they will be in life. The best part is you went legal even sooner, it really burns me up when people dodge taxes.

What do you use the building for??? Have any pictures of the building from the front and inside? I don't know what budget may allow but you can always renovate what you've got. Take the front off the building and gain 2 parking spaces in the front. Have a formal entrance and small office up front. Have a garage off the back and a shed roof off that. Build over top of the garage for additional storage. Maybe even add an external lift gate/elevator to get heavier material up. Maybe just make upstairs more office space.

J&R Landscaping
01-01-2007, 12:52 PM
If you don't mind saying whats the mortgage on the whole property? How big is it?

I might be renting a trailer space in a yard for my equipment for this up comming season. I have been looking into a small shopp set-up like that but the prices around here are totally outrageous!

Lynch Landscaping
01-01-2007, 07:57 PM
Nice I hope I end up in the direction that you are going.

Jason Rose
01-01-2007, 11:57 PM
Yes, real nice, for being 18. Can I ask how many others are involved in this business of yours? Obvioulsy it's not just you, at 18, that owns all this and these trucks, the yard, ect. Most people at 18 are thinking of a truck payment and some cash for going out on the weekend. you own commercial property and a fleet of trucks and have several employees... How do you do it at your age?

RedWingsDet
01-02-2007, 12:06 AM
Yes, real nice, for being 18. Can I ask how many others are involved in this business of yours? Obvioulsy it's not just you, at 18, that owns all this and these trucks, the yard, ect. Most people at 18 are thinking of a truck payment and some cash for going out on the weekend. you own commercial property and a fleet of trucks and have several employees... How do you do it at your age?

Thanks. Its just me that owns it... I have 2-3 employees 5 days a week.

I dont really go out at night, and not to much on the weekends, atleast not as much as I would like.

How do I do it at my age??? = I am addicted to $$$

Jason Rose
01-02-2007, 12:13 AM
Thanks for the explination... but I still don't get it. I know guys here that are great business owners, and they are 40ish and don't have the equipment and storage facility you have. Mind you these guys are doing 150+ lawns a week plus fert and squirt on 200+ accounts a season. Yet I don't see them having the kind of money you have to be owning a commercial property (that someone had to get a loan for at age 18 with little to no credit). Plus they don't have anything close to new trucks and trailers. Either you have perfected the art of getting people to pay you 4 times the going rate for services or something stinks here.

RedWingsDet
01-02-2007, 12:23 AM
Thanks for the explination... but I still don't get it. I know guys here that are great business owners, and they are 40ish and don't have the equipment and storage facility you have. Mind you these guys are doing 150+ lawns a week plus fert and squirt on 200+ accounts a season. Yet I don't see them having the kind of money you have to be owning a commercial property (that someone had to get a loan for at age 18 with little to no credit). Plus they don't have anything close to new trucks and trailers. Either you have perfected the art of getting people to pay you 4 times the going rate for services or something stinks here.

I started young and saved. My father does realestate so I had a good cosigner and the bank knows us.... 1 truck I bought when I first turned 18 and had a cosigner, once the bank knew I was good for the money they let me get another truck, and a month after than an explorer... So I do have alot of overhead, but I guess im smart with the money I do make and dont go blow it all on unnessary stuff... I used to have old trucks but they broke alot and I actually now save money with the new stuff. I just started from the ground up, but from a finanical point of view, I never had any help other than a cosigner.

I can see why your thinking that something is fishy cause I know a few guys who are only 22 and have 7 crews out on the road. Plus at such a young age you dont see it alot.

Jason Rose
01-02-2007, 12:38 AM
You must make a LOT higher profit margin than we can here. i had my first loan when I was 18 and that was for about $3,500 for part of a new ZTR mower. I'm 28 now and I feel that I have a lot of debt now, too much to be exact, but I can't fathom the amount you have, which is compounded by the fact that you are only 18/19. I know a lot of the guys here, big and small, and 75% of them don't spend but what they have too on equipment ect. drive older trucks and worked 12+ hours a day for YEARS and YEARS before they started spoiling themselves and getting newer vehicles and a cushy shop to work out of. No matter what, I just don't get it...

I hate to see anyone in that much debt at a young age, or at any age for that matter. One bad year and the payments get more and more behind if money dosn't come in fast enough... pretty soon you are declaring bankrupsy at age 20. I see it happen all the time around here...

tthomass
01-02-2007, 01:44 AM
As long as he thinks with his correct head and manages his $, sure its possible. He told you his Dad's job.....I imagine he was able to get a heck of a deal on the property and renting the house covers the morgage.

He's saved his money from driving old beaters and now has 2 nice trucks. He's not only doing maint.......see the pavers? Much better profit margin in landscape construction then mowing.

So he's got debt........perhaps he's doing something like me. For example, I've got a student loan I'm paying. I pay the bottom dollar each month of about $56. Interest is 5.2%. So say I've got $200 each month to throw at it but instead I pay the minimum and put the extra $ into my mutual funds earning 12%+......it would be stupid to put the extra $ on the loan.

His two trucks yes, they're nice but I don't remember him saying what he paid for them. What if together they are $40,000. If you can't clear $40,000 a year when you don't go out throwing $ around then you're not doing very well with your business.

The 40yr old guys you mentioned.......they prob have a wife, kids and other payments. He's young, shares the same addiction I do ($) and seems to rather invest his time into his company.

Another example........19yr old kid in my area. Started at 15, has I think 250 accounts.......smart with his $, doesn't let it go to his head..........yup, guess what, he's loaded but you would never know it.

Then again, he could be in debt up to his eye balls. I don't know. Just offering a different point of view.

TWUllc
01-02-2007, 02:33 PM
Poor fellow....insurance must KILL you, both liability and auto.

RedWingsDet
01-02-2007, 03:49 PM
Not really, for commercial auto, they dont look at your age. Only how many drivers. Liability is all about getting a good writer as well as workers comp.

tthomass
01-02-2007, 08:31 PM
Auto is funny..........my car (1999) is about $1600 a year........my '02 International 4300 is about $900 a year........in fact I can pay the Intl and '02 Chevy 2500hd for about the same amount as my car :hammerhead:

Jamesgateslandscaping
01-04-2007, 02:04 AM
Not really, for commercial auto, they dont look at your age. Only how many drivers. Liability is all about getting a good writer as well as workers comp.
Mark is right, its all about who is writing it and how crafty they can do it. My ins. agent takes care of me (being that I am 20 and have lots of insurance) Looking good Mark!
James

VBsnow
01-04-2007, 03:37 PM
Age does matter...alot. Most commercial INS CO's will not allow drivers under 21, 25, and 27. It depends on the CO and the underwriter. Some companies such as Progressive actually use the age to charge ALL of the drivers. Maybe Michigan is different? Doubtful though.

RedWingsDet
01-04-2007, 03:42 PM
Thanks James. Its nice isnt it.

VBsnow... it must be different. Or something is wrong on their part. Then again, I dont use a big insurance company like Progressive, all state, or state farm.
Plus, there are plenty of guys under 21 working for HUGE companys around here driving their trucks.

Lawnworks
01-04-2007, 03:45 PM
Thanks. Its just me that owns it... I have 2-3 employees 5 days a week.

I dont really go out at night, and not to much on the weekends, atleast not as much as I would like.

How do I do it at my age??? = I am addicted to $$$

It seems like the economy is not affecting your business. Which is really good, but I talked to a couple guys last week about selling their equipment b/c they were moving south... one of them was a paver guy in Lovonia.

I am little bit older than you(24)... I find myself booking Saturdays as much as I can, b/c it sure is better than sitting on my arse all day. Good luck to you and I think you will never regret working too much. You will be well ahead of your buds later on.

RedWingsDet
01-04-2007, 03:48 PM
It seems like the economy is not affecting your business. Which is really good, but I talked to a couple guys last week about selling their equipment b/c they were moving south... one of them was a paver guy in Lovonia.

I am little bit older than you(24)... I find myself booking Saturdays as much as I can, b/c it sure is better than sitting on my arse all day. Good luck to you and I think you will never regret working too much. You will be well ahead of your buds later on.

Thank you. Even though the economy is crappy, there are places and people to make money. Just a matter of good work and finding the people who want the good work for a price. And there is NEVER enough of those kind of people, lol.

mcwlandscaping
01-04-2007, 05:40 PM
hey! im looking to do the same thing you did with your insurance and getting completely legit this upcomming spring in my dads name but can't quite figure out how to do it?? My email is mcwlandscaping@yahoo.com if you prefer using email than posting it all here. Or you can just PM it to me. Just some insight on all the different things you need (diff insurances, registrations..etc.) would be great.

Thanks, your setup is AWESOME for any age, guys like you and james give me insight on what is possible even at a young age and gives me huge amounts of drive to keep growing on my own.

TWUllc
01-04-2007, 05:50 PM
Age does matter...alot. Most commercial INS CO's will not allow drivers under 21, 25, and 27. It depends on the CO and the underwriter. Some companies such as Progressive actually use the age to charge ALL of the drivers. Maybe Michigan is different? Doubtful though.

Thats how it was for me.

PROCUT1
01-04-2007, 09:19 PM
When I went from having my trucks in my personal name, registered and insured, to the company name, my insurance premium dropped in half and I went from state minimum liability to 1,000,000 coverage

mrusk
01-05-2007, 10:46 AM
Some how commerical insurance is cheaper then personal when your young.

I think before i had a commerical policy i was paying 3k a year to insure myself with a new truck under my dads policy.

Now i pay 1300 a year and this is full coverage 1 million dollors on a 05 truck, a 18 ft enclosed trailer and a 12kgvw equipment trailer.

Can't beat it!

Matt

bigjeeping
01-05-2007, 07:08 PM
Sweet yard.. definitely a dream for many of us here!

I have had progressive commercial for 3 years (since I was 18), and YES it is so much cheaper than a personal policy!

KS_Grasscutter
01-05-2007, 07:13 PM
I see it happen all the time around here...

:o :o :(

For me, it is obviously on a much smaller scale, but I have got myself into some REAL BAD trouble financially this winter. As in if I don't sell SOMETHING this month, there wont be enough money in my account for my truck payment next month. I have NO IDEA what I am gonna do, just hope like hell I can sell my 30 inch Dixon and my JX75. My plan for the future, after I get out of this mess, is to pay CASH for most stuff, or at least be DAMN SURE I can afford everything BEFORE I buy it.

vaughnslawns
01-05-2007, 09:54 PM
ks if your for real let me know vaughnslawns@wmconnect.com

KS_Grasscutter
01-05-2007, 10:07 PM
ks if your for real let me know vaughnslawns@wmconnect.com

For real? What are you refereeing to?

mcwlandscaping
01-06-2007, 01:02 AM
For real? What are you refereeing to?

probably selling your dixon and JD mowers

KS_Grasscutter
01-06-2007, 09:08 PM
probably selling your dixon and JD mowers

Yea, that was what I was assuming.

Yea, both the Dixon 3303 (30 inch, 14? hp) and John Deere JX75 are for sale. Not sure on price though, as I am not positive on prices to repair both units (both have some "issues", both are in the process of being repaired).

Ok, I just realized, I totally hijacked this whole thread. My apologizes, it just sorta happend:hammerhead: If anyone else has any questions for me, send me a PM, or email. My email address is in my profile.

MattsMowing3535
01-07-2007, 08:09 PM
Thats amazing you most work very hard. I think it eiser to do that when your younger (Im 15) becuse you dont have a family to worry about and your parents covor the cost of liveing so you have alot of money to invest. I just have to figure out how to hold onto the money I make. Also, I sent you a pm with a couple questions.

alternative
01-25-2007, 08:12 AM
Mark, you told me your DAD owns the property, and yes at 18 yrs old, its easy to get equip, etc. You have no home mortgage, wife or kids.

RedWingsDet
01-25-2007, 09:09 AM
yes, but i rent it out at what the mortgae is.

your right it is easy. Thats why I wanted to start this while I was young and didnt have a wife, kids, and a housepayment to make. I wanted to invest in equipment and all that good stuff before I was married with kids and had a family to feed and house to pay for.

kieferslawn
01-25-2007, 11:21 AM
RWD- It's all about working hard and being able to manage your money well. I just turned 22 and I have been doing this since I was 15. I'm in the same position you are going to school and running a business that is rapidly expanding. I hardly ever go out myself, at least not near as much as I should. You work hard now, pay everything off, then when you are married and have kids you don't have all the bills. I'll try to post some pics of all my equipment and trailers soon. Keep up the good work!