PDA

View Full Version : Painting the dump bed this week

asjgabries
12-30-2006, 09:10 PM
Any recomendations on paint or primer or rust removal technics for painting a dump truck bed. My plan was to wire brush and sandblast then spray prime and paint. Any special paints anyone has has good luck with? Any easy way to get the rust off and even more important keep it off?

RedWingsDet
12-30-2006, 09:12 PM
I grinded all the old paint and rust off mine, and then took it to the rhino liner dealer and they rhinolined the outside for me. Then I got a few cans of spray paint and did the inside of the bed....

It looks great with it on the outside.

asjgabries
12-30-2006, 09:14 PM
How much did that cost? What did you do to the underside?

RedWingsDet
12-30-2006, 09:15 PM
I left the underside alone... I think it was about $180. It was real cheap, but they did a outstanding job. from now on, if I have a dump that needs to be repainted im going that route again.

tthomass
12-30-2006, 09:39 PM
thats all?? sounds cheap!

tnmtn
12-30-2006, 09:58 PM
2 products you may want to check into are Chemprime and Enrust. chemprime if you are able to get rid of the rust. Enrust is a rust convertor.

KS_Grasscutter
12-30-2006, 10:19 PM
Any recomendations on paint or primer or rust removal technics for painting a dump truck bed. My plan was to wire brush and sandblast then spray prime and paint. Any special paints anyone has has good luck with? Any easy way to get the rust off and even more important keep it off?

I would not use a wire brush, as it will leave scratches that will not be covered up by the primer and paint. BTDT on my trailer. Thinking about buying a sandblaster 50/50 with a friend, then use our two air compressors hooked together somehow to have double the volume to run it correctly. Also, maybe it wouldn't be a problem though if you used quality paint and primer (not the cheap rattlecan paint i was using).

Accu-cut Lawn Care
12-30-2006, 10:39 PM
I would not use a wire brush, as it will leave scratches that will not be covered up by the primer and paint. BTDT on my trailer. Thinking about buying a sandblaster 50/50 with a friend, then use our two air compressors hooked together somehow to have double the volume to run it correctly. Also, maybe it wouldn't be a problem though if you used quality paint and primer (not the cheap rattlecan paint i was using).

A wire brush will be fine for your application.

tthomass
12-30-2006, 11:34 PM
considered having someone sand/pellet blast for you? how about using aircraft stripper?

Gravel Rat
12-31-2006, 12:32 AM
You can rent a sandblasting attachment that goes on a 3000 psi powerwasher it works fairly well it uses lots of sand thou. Its a job you do in the hot summer so the steel dries quicker.

Yes you can get swirls from a wire wheel in a angle grinder your better off with a oscellating (sp) sander. There are other options like water jetting which uses high pressure water to remove the paint and rust. Regular sandblasting works but that sand gets into every crack and crevis.

You are better off taking the box to a company that does sandblasting its NOT worth it buying those little sandblasters you used to beable to buy from SEARS.

My familly used to do sandblasting you need a proper set up to do a good job it will take you forever to do a mason box with a 1/2 bag sandblaster. You will also burnout your electric air compressors. You need the continous pressure and cfm and joining two electric compressors isn't going to do it. You need to plumb both compressors into a reserve tank then feed the sandblaster off of the reserve tank.

mojob
12-31-2006, 11:40 AM
It's just a truck, remember. It's just going to get banged up next season. I used a wire brush attachment on my angle grinder and then covered it with rustoleum primer and topped with gloss black rustoleum. I rolled it on and it looks great. It's diamond plate so that could be why the roller marks don't stand out. I did the top and bottom of the dump bed along with the frame. It made a world of difference to the appearence of the truck and only cost a few bucks.

PROCUT1
12-31-2006, 12:54 PM
It's just a truck, remember. It's just going to get banged up next season. I used a wire brush attachment on my angle grinder and then covered it with rustoleum primer and topped with gloss black rustoleum. I rolled it on and it looks great. It's diamond plate so that could be why the roller marks don't stand out. I did the top and bottom of the dump bed along with the frame. It made a world of difference to the appearence of the truck and only cost a few bucks.

We do the same thing with our trucks....Wirewheel on grinder and brush and roll on the black rustoleum.

I know it sounds crappy when i say brush...I always thought so.....but they come out great..