PDA

View Full Version : Video of my strobes....

mcwlandscaping
12-31-2006, 12:11 AM
Here is what ive got so far:
- 48" whelen 9000 light bar w/ rear takedowns (not shown on in vid)
- Four corner whelen hideaway clear strobes running off 60w power supply

Here are my plans for future strobes:
- One more strobe in each corner (need at least 8 plug 180w power supply first)
- Two LEDs on bottom bar of backrack and two in the grille

Sorry..you have to click the link, i tried to make the video just show up here like on plowsite but it doesn't work on here....enjoy!!

http://s128.photobucket.com/albums/p169/mcwlandscaping/?action=view&current=MVI_0910-1.flv

Lawnsmithcare
12-31-2006, 12:15 AM
Nice I can't wait to get my truck and do something like that.

RedMax Man
12-31-2006, 12:19 AM
Those are sweet man! I got a Whelen light bar on mine and plan on getting a bunch of hideaways. I'd like to meet you sometime maybe we can have a landscape get together in the summer like you and some others did today.

Uranus
12-31-2006, 12:24 AM
What! I missed the party. I know, I know the invite got lost in the mail. maybe next time.

mcwlandscaping
12-31-2006, 12:33 AM
we were talking about doing a LS meetup sometime around march....probably at jamesgateslandscaping's house.

DLCS
12-31-2006, 12:44 AM
Geez, I got a headache just watching that, no way in hell could I plow with you. Has any of your guys had seizures yet from those strobes. lol

tthomass
12-31-2006, 12:47 AM
looks nice for play but that would drive me crazy plowing with that much light bouncing around and off the snow

DLCS
12-31-2006, 01:51 AM
Oh BTW it does look cool though. Forgot to add that to my first post.

lawnrangeralaska
12-31-2006, 02:49 AM
how much does this set up cost? and how hard is it to install?

murray83
12-31-2006, 11:21 AM
Good god.... I'm with DLCS

I hate these things,they make your truck look like a toy.

tthomass
12-31-2006, 11:41 AM
What did your setup cost anyway? I've thought of using strobes as part of an anti-theft.

More directly.........after my car is worked over. If the alarm goes off the strobes do too on a separate battery. Or my enclosed trailer, set up and alarm and strobes outside.......even the trucks. Idea I had.

ALarsh
12-31-2006, 04:46 PM
That is a lot of lights... I think you have enough.

I also wouldn't be able to plow in that. It looks like you have blue lights in the front lights. Why didn't you get amber?

nmez21
12-31-2006, 04:58 PM
Woofta, reminds me of a japanese cartoon.:cool: Good luck this winter.

mcwlandscaping
12-31-2006, 08:41 PM
i never plow with all of them on....havn't really had any snow to legitametely use them in either though!! lol..... ive got about $1300-$1500 worth of lights and switchpanel on the truck but only paid $150 for whats there lol. The hideaways aren't hard to install, i didnt' do it but understand how they go in...the lightbar, im still working on just trying to read the wiring diagrams on how it was done!! Strobes & LEDs are like a hobby i guess, have always loved em!!

What i mention on PS about them is that they are wired and switched so i have a lot of control as to what lights are on. Here is what is individually controlled:
-front hideaways
-rear hideaways
-front bar
-rear bar
-full bar
-work lights

ALARSH..all hideaways are clear, the fronts are behind amber lenses but are so powerful they come out white, and the rears are behind the red lenses and come out red.

tthomas...i REALLY like your idea and please if you figure out a way to wire it all up, please fill me/us in on here about it!!

J&R Landscaping
01-01-2007, 01:17 PM
Strobes look great! I'd like to have a set-up that is similar espically with the headlight strobes as well. After a long night though, you gotta be ready for a few asprin!

BSDeality
01-01-2007, 07:44 PM
Can you run red strobes in NH? Amber is the only color we're allowed in CT. some guys run clear's in the reverse lights though and don't have too much trouble with them.

mcwlandscaping
01-01-2007, 09:53 PM
Can you run red strobes in NH? Amber is the only color we're allowed in CT. some guys run clear's in the reverse lights though and don't have too much trouble with them.

supposively, not legally but, durring a storm as long as you are only running them while working you'll never have a problem. All the work trucks where my dad works run red LEDs in the back and clear strobe bulbs in clear lenses up front and the police never say anything even though they are only suppose to be running ambers. We aren't using them recklously, but for safetly reasons. However, if you go down the street in mid day no snow with them on even if you have the plow on, you'll probably get pulled over and warned if a cop sees you.

DSLND
01-01-2007, 10:30 PM
Mike Thats Awesome! Jeez it looks like a freakin ambulance. People may think instead of plowing their driveway that your coming to put out a fire, arrest someone, or haul em to the hospital! LOL. When i get my truck i just want to simple 2 Strobe light on top and some lights on the back of the truck. Looks Great! -Mitch-

mkwl
01-01-2007, 11:11 PM
Looks good Mike! Is that snow I see in the pics? I need some snow, we've had nothing in NJ, I need to plow soon!

lawnkid
01-01-2007, 11:20 PM
Sure they all look real nice but are all those strobes really gonna make you more money or set you apart from the competitors??? $1500 is a lot of money to drop on strobes that you wont be able to see really in the daytime anyways.... Plus you said yourself that it hadn't even snowed one good time yet. We had all those goodies on a couple trucks that I used to drive when plowin for a guy and like tthomas said, they get annoying about about a half hour. The hideaways in the headlights bounce off the plow and go right into your face and the back lights are just useless I think. You should have just gotten one LED bar in my opinion. Didn't mean to start an argument but it just doens't semm practical or logical to have all those lights.

dcondon
01-01-2007, 11:24 PM
It looks cool but no way could I plow using them I hate even having the top one going. I bet you will go through some alts and Batteries even though your not going to be using them all the time.

mcwlandscaping
01-02-2007, 09:43 AM
lawnkid, i wouldn't have done that much but i got all that for $150 total!

stumpslawncare
01-02-2007, 10:07 AM
What are your opinions on LED's as far as bouncing back off the snow like strobes do?

FearThisDeere
01-02-2007, 02:53 PM
I don't want to cut into Mike's post, but LEDs are supposed to be much better in the snow. There is a lot less glare and bounce back to the driver, but at the sametime they are very pricey. The draw a lot less power while being much brighter and will last forever. Does anybody know if they make LED hide-a-ways?

mcwlandscaping
01-02-2007, 04:54 PM
I don't want to cut into Mike's post, but LEDs are supposed to be much better in the snow. There is a lot less glare and bounce back to the driver, but at the sametime they are very pricey. The draw a lot less power while being much brighter and will last forever. Does anybody know if they make LED hide-a-ways?

strobesnmore.com has hideaway LEDs. LEDs are brighter in some situations but not all. I like Strobes better for most things.

scweedman
01-02-2007, 07:06 PM
Man that would give me a headache

Eclipse
01-02-2007, 11:32 PM
strobesnmore.com has hideaway LEDs. LEDs are brighter in some situations but not all. I like Strobes better for most things.

There is a reason LED's are taking over the emergency lighting industry. I don't think you will seem them replace strobes, particularly hideaway strobes, but I do not think you will see too many new stobe lightbars on the top of emergency vehicles any more.

BTW - For the money you have invested you have a very nice setup.

Lynden-Jeff
01-03-2007, 12:14 AM
Very sweet. Those red flashers on the back would get us in big **** up here though lol. Im going to do 4 corner amber strobes and a triangle beacon up top for both summer and winter. Can I asked where you got your strobes?

Cheers
Jeff

mcwlandscaping
01-03-2007, 03:52 PM
xoopiter...i bought the strobes from another member on here....however, if you know what you are looking at and can tell if something is good or bad, check ebay...but over at strobesnmore.com they seem to have pretty good deals on new complete kits. Last week i saw a complete 60w kit for $199.99. That included whelen 60w power supply, four clear stobe tubes, and four 15 foot strobe cables. IMO, that's a ver good deal, also, 60w is plenty of power to run four clear strobes, that's what i power mine with. However, if i add more to my setup, i will upgrade to a 90w supply.

mcwlandscaping
01-03-2007, 03:54 PM
There is a reason LED's are taking over the emergency lighting industry. I don't think you will seem them replace strobes, particularly hideaway strobes, but I do not think you will see too many new stobe lightbars on the top of emergency vehicles any more.

BTW - For the money you have invested you have a very nice setup.

i agree with you there....LED bars i assume last a lot longer and require a lot less maintenance than the stobe bars do.

Eclipse
01-03-2007, 07:31 PM
Last week i saw a complete 60w kit for $199.99. That included whelen 60w power supply, four clear stobe tubes, and four 15 foot strobe cables. IMO, that's a ver good deal, also, 60w is plenty of power to run four clear strobes,

I have a better deal :) Same setup 60 watt 4 head power supply, 4 clear strobe tubes, and (4) 15 foot cables for $139.00. This is from a reputable company and the brand is Sound Off also a reputable company.

I know Whelen has a great reputation especially for thier strobes, but unless you are buying one of their ISP power supplies, IMO there is not a lot of differece in power supplies from one brand to the next.

I agree 15watts per stobes head is plenty of power for a clear strobe tube.

Grass-Masters
01-03-2007, 07:40 PM
That looks sweet, I put strobes like your head and taillights on my mustang when I was younger. I liked them.

nobagger
01-03-2007, 08:00 PM
I would come home with a twitch after plowing with that for hours.