PDA

View Full Version : Reasons Why Not to use work tunes.

Gatewayuser
12-31-2006, 12:49 AM
I stopped allowing worktunes including for myself and gave everyone regular hearing protection to see what happened and it was just what I thought. Better quality work by far and quicker too. The bad thing about not using them is employee moral can drop. So I will be trying to find a happy medium for next year. People stop and change channels for 30 seconds at every job times that by 3 people 1.5 mins each job now times that by 8 jobs 12mins a day times 5 days and what you have is a whole hr of work per week lost. Or 4 hrs a month 28hrs a mowing season. So times that by $50 an hr thats $1,400 a year lost or 4 trimmers not including all the battery cost, so add another $8 per week $32 a month so a blower a year. So in 5 years thats enough money to start a new residential crew. Think if you run multiple crews like 3 thats almost $5k a year down the drain. Another bad one to add is Sat radio to the trucks because employees want to hear the rest of what the comedian has to say(including myself).

I may get blasted for this but really if you sit down and think about how to improve profits you would be amazed where money is being wasted.

CompletePropertyCare
12-31-2006, 01:13 AM
happy employees = good work? I don't man, mowing 7 hours straight with no music, yikes!

Gatewayuser
12-31-2006, 01:23 AM
happy employees = good work? I don't man, mowing 7 hours straight with no music, yikes!

Music=bad work because minds wonder and I have been guilty of this myself. Try it yourself and see what happens. Now on large commercial accounts it is no problem but when you get to 3 acres and less then it is.

zmowing
12-31-2006, 01:37 AM
no radio no work. We love r work tunes help us work all day

LawnTamer
12-31-2006, 01:44 AM
I know exactly what you mean, radio sucks, always tuning in another station.
Perhaps the solution is MP3 players or ipods. We tried Worktunes, but they got poor reception, and I got tired of watching guys stand there tuning for half a minute. We switched to ipods under regular muffs, no more fiddling, happy employees, happy boss. Plus you can get books on mp3.

Gatewayuser
12-31-2006, 01:59 AM
I know exactly what you mean, radio sucks, always tuning in another station.
Perhaps the solution is MP3 players or ipods. We tried Worktunes, but they got poor reception, and I got tired of watching guys stand there tuning for half a minute. We switched to ipods under regular muffs, no more fiddling, happy employees, happy boss. Plus you can get books on mp3.

Bingo!!!!!:clapping:

I would be willing to buy ipods and they could give me a list to download for them.

DOLMARatOS
12-31-2006, 02:04 AM
i agree with the iPods over the traditional tunes.

I on the other hand prefer comfortable earplugs. I know that my senses are dulled by the unit and the hearing protection so I prefer to not be distracted by music when operating potentially dangerous equipment.

I've found that when listening to music, a lot of people tend to zone out a bit and lose that edge that keeps us from killing the sprinkler head, scalping the corner, blasting a window or not noticing your buddy with the trimmer (and his tunes on not notice me) and pinch him against a building or blast him with clippings.

my $0.02

Team-Green L&L
12-31-2006, 02:04 AM
We are considering the same idea. We get a promotions catalogue that has neat ones throughout it. You can have company ones made for perks and bonuses. Another write off.

Gatewayuser
12-31-2006, 02:08 AM
i agree with the iPods over the traditional tunes.

I on the other hand prefer comfortable earplugs. I know that my senses are dulled by the unit and the hearing protection so I prefer to not be distracted by music when operating potentially dangerous equipment.

I've found that when listening to music, a lot of people tend to zone out a bit and lose that edge that keeps us from killing the sprinkler head, scalping the corner, blasting a window or not noticing your buddy with the trimmer (and his tunes on not notice me) and pinch him against a building or blast him with clippings.

my $0.02

That is exactly what I was meaning! Thank you!:waving:

We are considering the same idea. We get a promotions catalogue that has neat ones throughout it. You can have company ones made for perks and bonuses. Another write off.

Great Idea!!!

DLCS
12-31-2006, 02:12 AM
I know what you mean, the time tuning eats up alot of time at the end of the week.

When I was at a supervisor at my last job(production fab shop). We found that we achieved more production by allowing radios in the shop. We never would allow talk radio type programing cause minds would wonder off and production would slow. We got even better results by having one radio running through the intercom so no one would be spending time switching stations all day.

This year I'm going to be running a MP3 player with my peltors so no switching channels. Also, i see where Elevex has a radio type ear muff that has push botton programable tuning. Anyone use them?

JKOOPERS
12-31-2006, 03:35 AM
i have never listened to music while working. i need to hear the engine and listen for rocks or anything else .

bigjeeping
12-31-2006, 09:59 AM
I absolutely HATE seeing a worker stop trimming in the middle of a lawn, pull out his ipod, and start going through songs..... ARRRRRRRRRR :dizzy: :realmad:

RedMax Man
12-31-2006, 10:05 AM
I stopped allowing worktunes including for myself and gave everyone regular hearing protection to see what happened and it was just what I thought. Better quality work by far and quicker too. The bad thing about not using them is employee moral can drop. So I will be trying to find a happy medium for next year. People stop and change channels for 30 seconds at every job times that by 3 people 1.5 mins each job now times that by 8 jobs 12mins a day times 5 days and what you have is a whole hr of work per week lost. Or 4 hrs a month 28hrs a mowing season. So times that by $50 an hr thats $1,400 a year lost or 4 trimmers not including all the battery cost, so add another $8 per week $32 a month so a blower a year. So in 5 years thats enough money to start a new residential crew. Think if you run multiple crews like 3 thats almost $5k a year down the drain. Another bad one to add is Sat radio to the trucks because employees want to hear the rest of what the comedian has to say(including myself).

I may get blasted for this but really if you sit down and think about how to improve profits you would be amazed where money is being wasted.

I did the same thing. Used worktunes 2 years ago then didn't use them this year and i think it really helped. I found i was retuning to find a station every second pass on the mower so everything was taking way to long. My buddy sometimes has this little mp3 thing but if it gets out of hand because he always needs to change something then i will ask him to lay it off. So far haven't had any problems really, just notice him adjusting it sometimes when he has it with him. The red AOSafety professional ear protection are more comfotable too.

RedMax Man
12-31-2006, 10:08 AM
I absolutely HATE seeing a worker stop trimming in the middle of a lawn, pull out his ipod, and start going through songs..... ARRRRRRRRRR :dizzy: :realmad:

There is a 3 man maintenance crew in my area. Almost everytime they get out of the truck they take a couple min. to adjust their Worktunes and then get the trimmers and hop on the lazers and start cutting.

Shawns Lawns
12-31-2006, 10:09 AM
Gateway --
You can do all the calculations you want of possible lost time and money. Take that away from them and they will find something else to take that time from you instead. If they are happy they most likely will work faster when they are working to make up for the time they stop to change the station. I remember years back i was working in a factory and they took out all the radios out thinking it would improve productivity. Well it did not and about a year later they changed there minds about it. Music is a small thing to concede on if you have overall a good work crew. ( just to let you know i do not listed not music when i cut i want to hear my mower):waving:

carcrz
12-31-2006, 10:12 AM
I only have to adjust my stations at one of my areas I mow. Are you guys using the good batteries? Everyone thinks I am much more pleasant at the end of the day when I am listening to music than w/o. I think Plextor makes an input only style of earmuffs that would work good for you guys that don't get good reception. The only downside is having to upload music every time you get tired of the same stuff over & over.

Uranus
12-31-2006, 10:24 AM
Ok for you guys that say you dont listen to music cuz you want to hear your mower. Why cant you hear your mower with music on I can hear every stick, twig, pebble, acorn, and kids toy that goes through my mower. I can hear every little whine of the hydraulics and every time time the deck hits a rock.
And for the guys that are constantly retuning there radios well it sounds like they are more concerned with there music than their work. If i'm mowing and I dont like the station, song, or reception is bad well I'm not stopping, Just turn it down till the song is over or turn it off. Sounds like these guys priorities are in the wrong place. I will be listening to my work tunes for many years to come.

RedMax Man
12-31-2006, 10:36 AM
Ok for you guys that say you dont listen to music cuz you want to hear your mower. Why cant you hear your mower with music on I can hear every stick, twig, pebble, acorn, and kids toy that goes through my mower. I can hear every little whine of the hydraulics and every time time the deck hits a rock.
And for the guys that are constantly retuning there radios well it sounds like they are more concerned with there music than their work. If i'm mowing and I dont like the station, song, or reception is bad well I'm not stopping, Just turn it down till the song is over or turn it off. Sounds like these guys priorities are in the wrong place. I will be listening to my work tunes for many years to come.
Ya, you can still hear the mower fine. I still use mine sometimes just not every property because it gets bad reception so i shut it off.

Uranus
12-31-2006, 10:47 AM
This is what I do.
:headphones: :headphones: :headphones: :headphones: :headphones: :headphones: :headphones: :headphones: :headphones: :headphones: :headphones: :headphones: :headphones: :headphones: :headphones: :headphones: :headphones: :headphones: :headphones: :headphones: :headphones: :headphones: :headphones: :headphones:

RedMax Man
12-31-2006, 10:51 AM
This is what I do.
:headphones: :headphones: :headphones: :headphones: :headphones: :headphones: :headphones: :headphones: :headphones: :headphones: :headphones: :headphones: :headphones: :headphones: :headphones: :headphones: :headphones: :headphones: :headphones: :headphones: :headphones: :headphones: :headphones: :headphones:

Who ends up singing while thay're mowing cuz their stuck to their Worktunes all day?;)

Team-Green L&L
12-31-2006, 10:52 AM
Gateway --
You can do all the calculations you want of possible lost time and money. Take that away from them and they will find something else to take that time from you instead. If they are happy they most likely will work faster when they are working to make up for the time they stop to change the station. I remember years back i was working in a factory and they took out all the radios out thinking it would improve productivity. Well it did not and about a year later they changed there minds about it. Music is a small thing to concede on if you have overall a good work crew. ( just to let you know i do not listed not music when i cut i want to hear my mower):waving:

Truer words were never spoken! Keeping a business profitable is a constant effort. There will always be profits lost and there will always be a proprietor trying to regain those profits by reducing expenses. The way of the world...

desii
12-31-2006, 11:10 AM
You need to check out Quietunes. They have a rechargeable battery (there's 15 seconds saved - LOL) that lasts about 40 hours. And you can plug your iPod directly into the battery port - no need for doubling up on ear phones. I hate it when the phone rings, gotta pull off two sets of ear phones, shut the mower down, etc, by that time I've missed the call... then you have to put it all back on again. Now that's a real waste of time, getting re-situated. Anyway, look into them. They're about $80 on eBay. I always have a pair or two in the truck. One time I didn't, and I thought I would go crazy.:dizzy:

To be honest, with or without headphones, people are gonna be distracted, daydream etc., but with music, personally, I think they're happier (whatever that means). I'd rather keep a good employee then have a new weed eater every year. JMO.

Daner
12-31-2006, 11:23 AM
When I'm rocken with my Elvex Tunes...I save time...Please Mr boss man don,t take away my tunes.
I,m for the tunes...but they have to be used responsibly:dancing:

Team-Green L&L
12-31-2006, 11:28 AM
You need to check out Quietunes. They have a rechargeable battery (there's 15 seconds saved - LOL) that lasts about 40 hours. And you can plug your iPod directly into the battery port - no need for doubling up on ear phones. I hate it when the phone rings, gotta pull off two sets of ear phones, shut the mower down, etc, by that time I've missed the call... then you have to put it all back on again. Now that's a real waste of time, getting re-situated. Anyway, look into them. They're about $80 on eBay. I always have a pair or two in the truck. One time I didn't, and I thought I would go crazy.:dizzy:

To be honest, with or without headphones, people are gonna be distracted, daydream etc., but with music, personally, I think they're happier (whatever that means). I'd rather keep a good employee then have a new weed eater every year. JMO.

Wow, you stop your mower to answer your phone? That strikes me as a lot of wasted time. Maybe it's just me, but I make any calls I need to make in route. To shut down equipment is "blasphemy".

BobcatBoy06
12-31-2006, 11:40 AM
I don't really see the work tunes being that major of a problem, once you have a station selected its set. I rarely have to adjust the station. It helps make the day go faster and keeps the guys happy.

desii
12-31-2006, 11:42 AM
But I have FREE INCOMING CALLS, I gotta answer it or I'll have to call someone back, and that'll cost me some of my minutes - LOL.

Yeah, I don't always shut it down, but if I do, it can be a pain. I, too, try to make the calls between jobs, but I'm usually on 15+ acres at a time, so I'm there for awhile.

Tharrell
12-31-2006, 12:10 PM
I'd go with a prerecorded medium like an ipod. You could introduce subliminal messages to your crew like, work harder, work cheaper, don't call in sick. You get the message I'm sure. Of course you'd have to have them translated into spanish.

Jason Rose
12-31-2006, 12:22 PM
I own the Worktunes and I never use them. Gateway hit it on the head, even though I'm solo, I found myself constantly changing stations because of the commercials that were driving me NUTS plus the crap songs I hate, lol. Having the muffs on my ears bug me bad too, and then the heat + those things don't mix.

As for not being able to handle not having music while mowing... Iv'e never had music and I get along just fine. I tend to just get music going in my head that I like, lol, or I talk to myself :laugh: Reguardless, I get along just fine without having music all day. I do listen to music between each stop though, all the time while driving actually...

Oh, I DO use hearing protection, I just use the kind that actually WORKS. Ear plugs.

Gatewayuser
12-31-2006, 12:26 PM
I don't really see the work tunes being that major of a problem, once you have a station selected its set. I rarely have to adjust the station. It helps make the day go faster and keeps the guys happy.

I watch my guys change channels multiple times at each job and we use w/b hydros so you have to stop mowing too. (Wasted fuel). If a worker can't stand being without music for 30 mins then they have a problem.
I saw no change in happiness by the way.
Also they get broken so often I can't stand it. They broke 3 this year alone.
In a factory setting its ok because you are doing the same work over and over but not in this line of work it needs your undivided attention.
Maybe you all are addicted to music?

Lawn Enforcer
12-31-2006, 01:20 PM
When I am out mowing at a cemetery all by myself, it's nice to listen to some tunes. I can still hear the mower, trimmer, blower, etc. I don't have problems with stopping to change the station, I listen to the same one all day. My brother worked for me one summer, and every time you turn around, he was fiddling with his CD player, and on water breaks he would spend 20 min. looking for a new CD (not kidding) 20 MIN.! He was a lazy worker. He never did and never will work for me again. My dad and I work very well together and never butt heads while mowing.

LawnTamer
12-31-2006, 01:30 PM
Books are excellent to listen to on the ipod/mp3, because you can essentially listen to the same track for 3 days, no looking for songs, no fiddling. Books also engage your mind a lot more than music, no boredom, I actually look forward to work so I can finish my book.

The Harry Potter books were good for a whole month.

Ludicrous Speed
12-31-2006, 02:26 PM
I don't do commercial mowing, but this thread interested me as I dela with this on a constant basis.......

I work for a boat manufacturer and our boats all have CD players, of course. Most of us just listen to the radio or bring a cd or two and let it play. But a few of the workers are constantly changing the station/cranking it up/changing cd's or tracks, etc...... Not to mention that a couple listen to some really hard/vulgar rap music.

Now we all work with each other enough that we know each others taste in music, and if someone does not like country or rock or whatever, I do not force them to listen to it. I try to compromise, but a few don't. Also, a lot of new guys who are younger seem a lot more concerned with their music than paying attention and learning their jobs.......

I got an ipod for christmas so I do not have to be subjected to the same cd three time per day now.

I can see people wanting their music, but when it becomes detrimental to the performance of their work, it needs to stop.

Where that line is is up to each of the bosses........

pclawncare
12-31-2006, 03:05 PM
I have elevex head sets that i run they are easy and get good reception i dont have to worry about channel changing either. Everyone has found a station that is local so we get great reception all over the city and we just leave them tuned to the same thing year around. The great thing is they have some funny jokes and different things on and when we get in the truck after a job we all talk and joke about it and everyone knows whats going on. It soften the equipment sounds but i can still hear change in pitch in the mower and stuff and also an trimmer that is close. Another thing is they have some kind of way they block certain sound waves but you can hear people if they are talkin to you if your music is not too high. Only complaint is price.

Roger
12-31-2006, 05:39 PM
I followed these kinds of thread the past couple of years. During the off-season last Winter, I bought an mp3 player, intending to use it daily for walks during the Winter (keep in condition), and then use it under my Stihl muffs when the mowing season started.

I used it only a couple of times when mowing. I quickly realized the time to fiddle with earphones, the player, etc, was wasting too much time. I work solo, so get things done only as quickly as I get them done. Even for jobs that lasted more than one hour, the extra time was too much.

I scrapped the whole idea. Now that off-season has arrived, I pulled out the mp3 player and am using it again for daily 1:45 walks. It works great for this activity, but working at lawn care, mowing, etc. -- forget it! I share the comments by the original poster. And, I agree if somebody needs sounds of some kind stuck in their ear all the time, there are other issues to be concerned about beside headphones, radio, ipod, mp3, ....

Fantasy Lawns
12-31-2006, 06:59 PM
I must be doing something different ..... it only takes me like 15 seconds too fiddle my sony radio .... but I did upgrade n have my stations pre programed so I just have to touch a button to change stations

BUT I do agree that we should remove all musical devices from vehicles ..... whouldn't want to distract from driving ....

Ssoo easy .... Even a Cave-Man Can Do IT!

jmurphy
12-31-2006, 07:28 PM
For Christmas I got the new Worktunes i3. They have a mp3 input jack built in. All that you do is turn the volume as low as it goes on the muffs and adjust the volume using the ipod. No more changing stations!

twj721
12-31-2006, 09:17 PM
Had a set of WORKTUNES till I got pissed off at them because they kept losing my station that I was wanting to listen to and would jump to some foreign speaking station which I ddi not have a clue to what they were singing sound alot like that they had done got something caught in their zipper and was in pain.
It happened 2 days in a row so the 3rd time it did it I wrapped them around the tree that I was weedeating around then I picked them up and flung them as far as I could out in the weeds If you live were the radio stations are pretty close then they do great but here in the back woods it is not worth a hill of beans . went with a Dell DJ Ditty and was going to get another one for my wife but they quit making them so will wait till next season to figure this one out

dcondon
12-31-2006, 10:15 PM
no radio no work. We love r work tunes help us work all day

Same with me, I do a much better job listening to the radio then not:)

HOOLIE
12-31-2006, 10:32 PM
It gets to the point where really, you are micromanaging your employees. To dictate what sort of music and what device starts to get silly IMO.

Keep your employees happy and OVERALL they will be more productive for you. Maximum efficiency should not be your goal...maximum efficiency normally will result in unhappy employees...any they are the guys doing the work for you!!

brucec32
01-01-2007, 01:33 AM
This sort of bean counting is what gets a lot of businesses in trouble. I'm all for efficiency, but if you have employees whose only problem is stopping for a second or two to change a station, you are in pretty good shape and shouldn't mess with success.

How about cutting out rest breaks and lunch time too? And stopping to drink and rehydrate...another huge time waster. : )

You might think about it for safety or communication problem reasons, but I wouldn't worry about it affecting their productivity. I listen to stuff while I work and it makes the day go faster and if it's music I work faster. Make their day duller and every tick of the clock slower and it might boomarang on you.

Happy employees will cost you less in the long run.

leeslawncare
01-01-2007, 02:08 AM
We love them!!

Envy Lawn Service
01-01-2007, 02:35 AM
Never allowed them or any other such crap to begin with.

It's just a totally dumb idea.
The last thing an equipment operator needs is another distraction.
With the equipment we run in this trade.... everyone needs to be focused.

If you are a solo guy and you want to use such devices, I say fine.
Do so at your own risk.

I've always provided personal protective equipment for anyone working for me.
But the weird part is I have never used any of it.

I've tried and tried to break myself to it.
But I'm too paranoid to use hearing protection....
I'm nervous the whole time I'm wearing it.

Eye protection... and sunglasses... tried everything in the world.
Can't keep them on me when I need them the most... while string trimming.
It's either a glare, a reflection of my own face, or something on them.
Can't see what the heck I'm doing.

I will be trying again to break myself to hearing protection from day one in the spring.
Don't know if it will work better then or not.... having not heard the mower run in a while.
Don't have a clue what I'm going to do with the eye protection issue.

TLS
01-01-2007, 08:43 AM
They need to make the following:

AM/FM
Weather Band
MP3/Ipod

All in the same compact unit with the antenna in the headband.

It also MUST have seek/scan and at least 3 station presets. No analog tuning.

Make this and I'll pay $200 for one tomorrow.

And to those not using hearing protection...just ask my wife...my hearing is shot. 26 years of in this industry, and 18 of those years with NO ear protection.

Had I worn protection, there is NO DOUBT that I wouldn't be having these problems.

Work w/o my Peltors????

LawnScapers of Dayton
01-01-2007, 09:15 AM

Do so at your own risk.

I will be trying again to break myself to hearing protection from day one in the spring.
Don't know if it will work better then or not.... having not heard the mower run in a while.

Don't take this the wrong way, but do you think you can get use to running a trimmer / mower while blind?? How about not being able to hear your child call for you when they are in danger...... safety equipment is not about comfort, you just have to adapt to it.....

D

LawnScapers of Dayton
01-01-2007, 09:16 AM

Do so at your own risk.

Don't take this the wrong way, but do you think you can get use to running a trimmer / mower while blind?? How about not being able to hear your child call for you when they are in danger...... safety equipment is not about comfort, you just have to adapt to it.....

I used to hate wearing my muffs......now I miss them because the mower and trimmer are "too loud"........

D

captken
01-01-2007, 09:19 AM
I agree, I have provided the Work Tunes for the guys to wear. No more, I will not replace them when they wear out. I cannot get their attention when I need them. The level of sound is low enough that you are suppose to hear surrounding noise. Maybe they are using the radio as an excuse not to hear me?! Either that or they are day dreaming listening to music.

Plus, seeing 3 guys tuning the stations on 3 work tunes at the same time looks ******ed, and waist time.

Every once in a great while, I'll wear a pair until the music starts to distract me, then I take them off.

I wear over the ear hearing protection whenever using equipmemt, the same type as those we wore in the Engine Room on boats.

thisismurph
01-01-2007, 10:09 AM
How about this set-up, make it where you could talk to your employee's though the work tunes kinda like the blue tooth cellphones. This way not only will the employees be happy but it could work to your benefit especialy over loud mowers.

twj721
01-01-2007, 10:19 AM
[/B]Never allowed them or any other such crap to begin with.

Do so at your own risk.

[B]WHERE YOU AT ? I CAN NOT SEE YOU AND WHAT DID YOU SAY?
GEE WISH I HAD USED MY PERSONAL PROTECTION GEAR IN MY YOUNGER FOOLISH DAYS WHEN I THOUGHT I WAS 10FT TALL AND BULLET PROOF :hammerhead:

Gatewayuser
01-01-2007, 11:44 AM
How about this set-up, make it where you could talk to your employee's though the work tunes kinda like the blue tooth cellphones. This way not only will the employees be happy but it could work to your benefit especialy over loud mowers.

Those cost around $500 each x 3-5 people, no way am I spending.

captken
I agree with you 100% same thing with me when you get ready to work and you need to tell them what to do they can't even hear you they have the music up so loud.
Everyone needs to wear hearing protection but I see no sense in having music.

Envy Lawn Service
01-01-2007, 01:56 PM
I was neither trying to advocate or justify not wearing ear & eye protection.
I know it's bad and I should.

I was just being honest about it and stating why.

Part of my new year's resolution is to try and figure out something for myself.

VnDrWLawnCare
01-01-2007, 04:07 PM
When I'm rocken with my Elvex Tunes...I save time...Please Mr boss man don,t take away my tunes.
I,m for the tunes...but they have to be used responsibly:dancing:

What model did you purchase that has the preset stations??

I looked on a site and it did not say anything about any preset stations.

So i am just wondering.

Also how is the comfort of them?

Thanks Eric

pclawncare
01-01-2007, 06:44 PM
my elevex doesnt have any pre sets but i use one station since there are only a few that we can get here and the local one is the best for coverage

JJLandscapes
01-01-2007, 09:54 PM

i would sacrifice $1400 a year to have my employees work happier.. im sure its far from accurate ur measurements so lets round it to a $1000 because i doubt every employee fondles with the switches at every property....

You ever think if 2 empoyees dont have music playing im sure they will talk at somepoint and not work and even it out

When i use headphones and when my workers do everyone works alot faster because there is no BS chit chat in between houses where most time is lost

Josh.S
01-01-2007, 10:04 PM
When i use headphones and when my workers do everyone works alot faster because there is no BS chit chat in between houses where most time is lost

Same with me, last year most of the time I didn't even take my earbud/earplugs out between jobs because they were a pain.. I just bought some Philips sound canceling earbuds at Walmart for $30 and they seem to be really nice, and work really well. They also are easy to put in/out and seal well for me.

As for employees, last year I got lucky because the guy I worked with didn't like any protection besides glasses (good for me). The guy I will be working with next year has a CD player I am pretty sure he will be using. We will see how it goes, but if I think he is killing time with I'll let him have it. Hopefully he won't take off the headsets between jobs so we won't have time waisting chit chat when we arrive at jobs (which happens more than most ppl think).

- Josh

Gatewayuser
01-01-2007, 10:17 PM
Same with me, last year most of the time I didn't even take my earbud/earplugs out between jobs because they were a pain.. I just bought some Philips sound canceling earbuds at Walmart for $30 and they seem to be really nice, and work really well. They also are easy to put in/out and seal well for me.

As for employees, last year I got lucky because the guy I worked with didn't like any protection besides glasses (good for me). The guy I will be working with next year has a CD player I am pretty sure he will be using. We will see how it goes, but if I think he is killing time with I'll let him have it. Hopefully he won't take off the headsets between jobs so we won't have time waisting chit chat when we arrive at jobs (which happens more than most ppl think).

- Josh

You drive with hearing protection in? That is against the law and its dangerous.

Josh.S
01-01-2007, 10:27 PM
You drive with hearing protection in? That is against the law and its dangerous.

Not hearing protection, earbuds. They really didn't make the noise cancel out when music wasn't cranked.

Most of my accounts aren't even 5 minutes from each other. The guy I bought the busieness from was a referall only business, they are mostly all neighbors and such.

They are just far enough away to start a conversation while driving, and waiste time finishing it :rolleyes:.

qualitylawnmanagement
01-01-2007, 10:47 PM
I my self I like to have some tunes while I am mowing a large property, and so does my helper. But I do agree a happy worker works better and gets the job done faster and leave the property looking nicer. I have three guys that are going to start working for me daily 5 to 6 days a week once the season starts up and they all asked about working while having some tunes and I said sure no problem as long as you get the work done and leave the property looking nice go ahead.

battags
01-01-2007, 11:48 PM
I have a pair of Worktunes but hated the tuning function. I saw a pair of these at a dealership this past spring and absolutely LOVE them. All digital. It tunes automatically and NEVER looses a signal!

"Husqvarna Landscaper Radio - High quality DIGITAL FM radio with 82 dB(A) NRR 23dB output limit for hearing protection. Automatic station locator and memory that stores the most recently used stations and volume level. Low current consumption. Automatic shut-off after 4 hours. Requires 2 - 1.5 V AA batteries. Meets ANSI S3.19-1974 Standards.Part Number Description 505 66 53-78 Landscaper radio"

JJLandscapes
01-02-2007, 12:25 PM

thank you for being the mother figure and the police officer on lawnsite. i appreciate it and im sure others do also ... just messing around but relax urself

Gatewayuser
01-02-2007, 02:05 PM
thank you for being the mother figure and the police officer on lawnsite. i appreciate it and im sure others do also ... just messing around but relax urself

:laugh: I was just stating facts on this thread and everyone runs businesses different.

Fantasy Lawns
01-02-2007, 02:43 PM

Talking on a cell is far more abused while driving ...far ...far more dangerous

But getting back to the original intent ....we use the same Nascar ear buds .... they fit in nice n snug ....can hear the music n if you really don't crank it can still hear a loud thunk or what have ya' if you hit something .... ya don't sweat nearly as much as full size ear protection ...

Anywho ... to each their own ....I've been doing this along time .....n I like to listen to talk radio in the morning n music in the afternoon to pass the time .....but I'm also not in the field 10th the time I use too ... I let my guys use em ....but they buy them ....I have ear plugs if the don't use their own

If the concern is lost time ....leave it to the employee to decide if they wish to be "docked" 1 hour per week (thou this isn't really legal) fore the lost time ....

But using $50 per hour as foundation of figure the actual cost isn't really accurate .... sure this may be potenial income .... in real time this isn't what your pay'em per hour ....

This could be argued back n forth ....but if this is what your figuring than your also saying that the average employee whom works 2000 hrs per year is bring $100k gross income to the plate ...if this is true you are far ...far above the industry average

chrisg4202000
10-03-2008, 09:54 AM
it sounds to me like you have to much time on your hands if you had to sit and figure all that BS out by yourself, maybe its not the tunes, maybe its the boss lookin for excuses.

brucec32
10-03-2008, 10:29 AM
If you insist on bean counting to improve efficiency, don't bean count in dollars, but in percentages. It's not like the chairman of McDonald's goes "hot damn, we cut $120 out of the budget per day!" But you might find that a significant change. It's all relative to the size of the operation.

Also recognize real efficiencies vs the diminishing marginal returns achieved as one attempts vainly to approach 100% efficiency with strategies that only manage to annoy and alienate a labor force.

By what I can follow of your own math, this device you admit improves employee morale costs you 30 seconds per man per "job", or 4 minutes per day of labor. That's a whopping 8/10ths of one percent loss of efficiency.

Compare that to the cost of finding and training a good employee, the added risks of losing one if they're not happy with the job, and the diminished productivity of new employees, and it's a false economy. It sounds good on paper, but it's peanuts in the big picture and likely would result in a loss down the line rather than savings.

An argument against the worktunes for workers based on safety or communication trouble reasons might hold more water. But even then I doubt it. If they have something that helps them make it through the day w/o dying of boredom, you might want to consider how you'd feel if you did that work all day with no other mental stimulation.

From what I see out there of crews, you have a much bigger problem than stopping to change radio channels in terms of wasted worker productivity. I see a whole lot of shovel leaning chit chat, impromptu meetings on commercial properties where they know the supervisor is out of sight, imprecise work patterns, just plain slow work (standing in one spot trimming around a steel fire hydrant for 20 seconds), 3 guys watching while one works, convenience store stops, etc. I routinely match or beat the times of 2 man crews on residentials, so I know there is room for improvement in their performance that far exceeds 30 seconds per job.

Gatewayuser
10-04-2008, 11:16 PM
Lol I love how people bring threads back out of retirement it was almost 2 years ago. :rolleyes:

We have switched to MP3 players because they are better in every way!

captken
10-16-2008, 04:11 PM
Lol I love how people bring threads back out of retirement it was almost 2 years ago. :rolleyes:

We have switched to MP3 players because they are better in every way!

Well, I didn't replace the work tunes, since this thread started...lets see when? oh yeah, 2 years ago which is about 1 year longer since I last posted....

My guys ALL bought ipods, [using my Sams club membership] including myself, for in truck and at home use...just upgraded to the 160GB Classic.
However, at work, my crew sometimes look like a bunch of dummys out there, finding the music they want....especially when all 4 guys arrive at a site and stand around for a minute getting their music right..."fanfare for the common man"? [which by the way is a song title]

still looks ******ed. Plus, I still have to run the mower over to them when I can't get someones attention.

I thought about getting a pellet gun to get their attention but decided against it due to possible law suits......running a mower up to them at top speed sure gets their attention though.....

I notice people tend to "zone out" wearing them...

djchiodo3
10-16-2008, 04:21 PM
Can you do a cost analysis of how much time and money is wasted every time one of your employees stops to pick his nose too. LOL Ear plugs may be more comfortable but they do not protect you from the sun. I have found that I can detect trouble coming from a piece of machinery by feel and the amount of normal vibrations while listing to my talk radio muffs.

willretire@40
10-16-2008, 04:29 PM
Get the new work tunes that are digtal and have a plug for an ipod or 2 way radios.