PDA

View Full Version : Slope Mowers

Parched1
12-31-2006, 01:54 AM
What are the available types of slope mowers on the market, and their respective pros and cons? What type of operational ground speed can I expect to safely attain? I will be operating on slopes of approximately thirty degrees, and will be cutting every five to six weeks. Are ther any units that provide rough mowing and finished mowing decks that are interchangeable? Any information is appreciated,

davidcalhoun
01-01-2007, 12:29 PM
Some of the following may no longer be current models.

Hustler/Excel made a 6400 hillside mower.

DEEZEE (it has another name??) made a hillside mower

Dixie Chopper made a hillside mower (looked like an off road go cart with a wide wheel base and a roll bar).

Kut Kwick.

Skimastr105
01-01-2007, 12:45 PM
There was an ad in TURF for a hillside mower... I dont remember what it was called, but it looked pretty cool.

Mowingman
01-01-2007, 07:43 PM
I had a chance to demo a Kut Kwik one time. Very rough riding, very rough looking cut. They are not for finish mowing type work.

gene gls
01-01-2007, 08:06 PM
I have two friends that run Aebi tractors. One of them contracts mostly landfill mowing.

oldturf
01-02-2007, 02:31 AM
Kut Kwik is by far the safest of the slope mowers also expensive-Toro 1400 works well with dual wheels up to 30 degrees but not much more. Good luck.

Nes-Tech
01-04-2007, 12:16 AM
Look at the Hustler ATZ, This is a mid-mount ZTR. The stance has been widened out and has bar tires. Also features a dished out floor pan to lower the center of gavity. The seat has on an electric switch to keep yourself level. Powered by a 27HP Kohler engine.

gene gls
01-04-2007, 01:16 AM
Look at the Hustler ATZ, This is a mid-mount ZTR. The stance has been widened out and has bar tires. Also features a dished out floor pan to lower the center of gavity. The seat has on an electric switch to keep yourself level. Powered by a 27HP Kohler engine.

The ATZ is more of a " lawn " mower than a real "slope" mower.

Dozer_Fan
03-12-2007, 02:31 PM
I have an ATZ and I LOVE it! My property has 3:1 and some 2:1 slopes and I can mow the 3:1s sideways no problem. It has cut my mowing time by 3/4. With the long wheelbase, when traveling sideways on a slope, the wheels stay planted and it tracks straight unlike my previous Yazoo Mid that constantly had the front wheels trying to go downhill. The high torque wheel motor climb hills without whinning or screaming at all. Plus the ATZ does a very nice job on the flat front yard. Have to be carefull though as I have ITP Bear Claw tires on it for sidehill grip and can shred the yard. I would demo one before ruling it out. They're pricey but I found mine used in perfect shape for half the cost of a new one. :)

DiyDave
03-12-2007, 09:56 PM
Did I hear someone mention a hillside mower? I have one for sale in the classifieds of this site, so I won't go into the details of my mower here. The Dew-eze mower was made in Kansas, I believe. I do not know if it is still being made or not. The design kind of looks like a motorcycle with a steering wheel, and 2 outrigger wheels with the mower decks between the outriggers and the main frame. The front and back wheels are hydraulically driven, the decks are driven by a splitter gearbox and drivelines to final gearboxes which drive a timing belt, which drives the spindles. The blades are synchronized so that they don't hit because they overlap in the middle. It cuts fairly well to 45 degrees, but because of the 36" decks with 1 spindle, it cuts kind of like a snapper mower. The only reason I am selling mine, is because I lost the contracts I was using it on, and the new Dixie chopper I got last year will cut almost as steep of a hill.:dizzy: :dizzy:

ground works
03-12-2007, 11:56 PM
We just bought a ventrac with dual wheels, 60" mower deck and a tough cut mower. We have used it around our farm the last few days and it has done a great job on the hills. Wish we had bought one sooner.

Tinkerer
03-13-2007, 02:21 AM
I don't remember the name, maybe it was already mentioned,, but a mower looking kind of like a motorcycle with a mower deck under it. Won't be cheap, but safe is better than dead or disabled.

Envy Lawn Service
03-13-2007, 03:08 AM
I have an ATZ and I LOVE it! My property has 3:1 and some 2:1 slopes and I can mow the 3:1s sideways no problem. It has cut my mowing time by 3/4. With the long wheelbase, when traveling sideways on a slope, the wheels stay planted and it tracks straight unlike my previous Yazoo Mid that constantly had the front wheels trying to go downhill. The high torque wheel motor climb hills without whinning or screaming at all. Plus the ATZ does a very nice job on the flat front yard. Have to be carefull though as I have ITP Bear Claw tires on it for sidehill grip and can shred the yard. I would demo one before ruling it out. They're pricey but I found mine used in perfect shape for half the cost of a new one. :)

I'm glad to hear from someone who owns one.

I myself understand everything about that machine's build but the long wheelbase.

That part has never made any sense to me for anything other than making it harder to tip backwards. Otherwise the long wheelbase just seems to be a disadvantage to me.

To top it off, on most ZTR's you have to be going really steep to get the front end light or off the ground. So it doesn't make sense to me in that aspect either... unless they added a big weight or something to the rear section of the machine???????

Is that the reason?

Dozer_Fan
03-13-2007, 10:24 AM
I'm glad to hear from someone who owns one.

I myself understand everything about that machine's build but the long wheelbase.

That part has never made any sense to me for anything other than making it harder to tip backwards. Otherwise the long wheelbase just seems to be a disadvantage to me.

To top it off, on most ZTR's you have to be going really steep to get the front end light or off the ground. So it doesn't make sense to me in that aspect either... unless they added a big weight or something to the rear section of the machine???????

Is that the reason?

Yes, it has massive plates bolted to the bottom of the frame between the rear wheels. The machines C/G is very low, I can't say enough about how stable it feels on the side slopes. I think the long wheelbase helps the front end to plant and track straight instead of always trying to slip down hill. This is when cutting sideways along a slope. At most, one front caster may be off the ground but the other always stays planted. Being able to cut the slope sideways makes the yard look much better and eliminates ruts that can come from cutting it up and down. I only have one spot now I cannot cut sideways with the slope but it's dam near 2:1 ;)

Envy Lawn Service
03-14-2007, 02:21 AM
Yes, it has massive plates bolted to the bottom of the frame between the rear wheels. The machines C/G is very low, I can't say enough about how stable it feels on the side slopes. I think the long wheelbase helps the front end to plant and track straight instead of always trying to slip down hill. This is when cutting sideways along a slope. At most, one front caster may be off the ground but the other always stays planted. Being able to cut the slope sideways makes the yard look much better and eliminates ruts that can come from cutting it up and down. I only have one spot now I cannot cut sideways with the slope but it's dam near 2:1 ;)

Very cool!!!!

How much issue do you find you have with scalping due to the distance between the front tires and the deck?