PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! Client needs tire changed, can't find lug nut key???

MSS Mow
12-31-2006, 11:41 AM
CLient has 2005 Dodge Durango and had a blowout last night (during a snow storm) and now can't get the tire changed because the tire has a locking lugnut and we can't find the "key" to take the tire off.

HELP! Where is the "key" usually kept??

Uranus
12-31-2006, 11:48 AM
Napa......

Eakern & Dog
12-31-2006, 12:02 PM
Try looking around where the jack and lug wrench are positioned..........behind the seats or where ever they were mounted. A dealership will be able to give/sell you a key as well if you give them the VIN#.Sometimes Goodyear shops will have them.

lawnspecialties
12-31-2006, 12:05 PM
Every car I've bought that had one of those, it was kept in the glove box.

QualityLawnCare4u
12-31-2006, 12:57 PM
That is a nice thing you are doing but I personally not touch a clients vehicle! What if something goes wrong, vehicle falls off jack and tears up something and then they blame you. I will stick to what I do, lawncare and nothing else. Sometimes being nice will bite you on the backside this day and time. Just my 02.

Daner
12-31-2006, 01:07 PM
In the glove box..or the owners man. folder

Ludicrous Speed
12-31-2006, 01:29 PM
If worst comes to worst, most tire shops have a "universal key" that you hammer on and use an impact to take the lock off. It usually ends up ruining the lock, but at least you can change the tire. If you go that route, take all of the locks off now.......

carcrz
12-31-2006, 01:36 PM
I didn't read that correctly on your other post. Oreilly's sells a lock breaker that breaks the locking lug nuts.

MSS Mow
12-31-2006, 01:52 PM
I really appreciate everyone's response.

The key is not in the glove box/with owners manual, with the jack, under the seat where the jack was, not attached to the jack, not with the spare tire. We just can't find it. I was hoping someone would know of a "secret" compartment where it was kept. Yeah I know, wishful thinking. Believe me, 5 of us have looked everywhere you all have suggested, and plenty of other spots.

QualityLawnCare4u: Normally I wouldn't get involved, but these are clients who just purchased their home here (seasonal) and are only here for the holidays. I only knew about the tire 'cause I stopped to visit them while they were in town. They didn't call and ask me to help. I offered to see what I could find out for them. They are from Pennsylvania and were planning on returning in the morning.

As for a dealer selling them, obviously no dealer is open today (or tomorrow) and there are no Goodyear (or similar) shops around here. Their towtruck driver wouldn't remove it for them. Said they had to have the "key".

We've tried vice grips, pipe wrenches, etc, nothing works. Next try will be forcing an impact socket onto it.

Again, thanks everyone for the helpful tips. I'll update when we get it removed.

robbo521
12-31-2006, 03:26 PM
walmart has them.

Dunn's
12-31-2006, 05:32 PM
Try drilling it off. it will take time but should work.

Scagguy
12-31-2006, 07:13 PM
If all fails, blast a can of freon on the lock. Immediately hit the lock with a heavy hammer 2lbs or better. I know this works because my wheels and tires were stolen a couple of years ago using that method. Jerks left the evidence at the scene.

mag360
12-31-2006, 07:43 PM
Best bet is to take a 12-point socket that's a little to small to fit over the lugnut and hammer it on. I've had pretty good results this way.

DOLMARatOS
12-31-2006, 07:47 PM
Here is the "best" method I've found.

Take a piece of 3/4 or 1" square tubing, attach your MIG welder ground to the tubing and butt it to the lock-lug. Buz 4 solid welds...then rotate off using a large Crescent wrench or equivelant.

This has worked 100 times out of 100 on 10 years worth of tire changes, etc.

Usually I can't take my mig welder with me when I steal a set of rims / tires. You can get liquid nitrogen from your local welding / gas supply company or use the canned freeze technique. (kidding about the sealing part)

MSS Mow
12-31-2006, 10:45 PM
Best bet is to take a 12-point socket that's a little to small to fit over the lugnut and hammer it on. I've had pretty good results this way.

Problem solved!

Thank you all for your ideas!

I ended up driving an air socket on it and using a breaker bar to loosen it. Piece of cake after that.

All shops in the area were closed due to being a Sunday AND New Years Eve Day. Tow truck towed it to their house but wouldn't remove the wheel without the "key".

Again, thank you all for your help. Lawnsite (and Plowsite) to the rescue.

brucec32
01-01-2007, 01:28 AM
When I got vehicles that came with those things I always took them off. If you live and work where you have to worry about someone jacking up your vehicle and stealing your wheels, you need to consider a move or spend less on your wheels. I hear this story all the time. Get a flat, stuck on the side of the road, can't change the tire...I'd rather deal with stolen wheels!

MartinsMowing
01-01-2007, 03:27 AM
i had a car in my shop the other day, we couldent find the key, so i just got out the oxy/acetyline torch and burned the things off. In the end everything can be destroyed by burning it!!!...btw for some reason they were crap wheels and had locks on em so we didnt care about damagin the wheel. After that....it took a sledge hammer to get the wheels off, i bet those wheels never been off that car.

Let-it-mow!
01-01-2007, 10:03 AM
Here is the "best" method I've found.

Take a piece of 3/4 or 1" square tubing, attach your MIG welder ground to the tubing and butt it to the lock-lug. Buz 4 solid welds...then rotate off using a large Crescent wrench or equivelant.

Here's a variation that I've used lots of times on sheared off bolts, damaged bolt heads, or anytime I can't get a wrench on something I need to turn.

I get the biggest nut that will sit on the end of the stud (in this case on the head of the lug nut) and I weld it to the end of the stud INSIDE the nut.

Eakern & Dog
01-01-2007, 10:28 AM
Glad you got it off. Reminds me of an old saying my Grandpa used to ..."Locks only keep honest people out". I have a locking nuts on my car and they have kept the rims from getting stolen once. However, I never noticed the attempted "theft" and that the thief took the other the lug nuts and left the solo locking nut. When I backed out of the driveway, I then noticed the wheel wobble and stopped. Good thing I noticed in the drive way and not on the main road.:cry: