PDA

View Full Version : Plugs vs. muffs

PLM-1
12-31-2006, 09:27 PM
I was reading another thread about worktunes. Who prefers plugs over muffs? I personally cannot wear muffs. I get an awful droning noise which gives me a headache after about an hour. They are also so damn hot and make it difficult to wear a hat. Opinions?

dcondon
12-31-2006, 10:06 PM
Peltors for me and I don't care if it 90 degrees out. I will only wear them when I'm mowing though, not trimming.

Uranus
12-31-2006, 10:07 PM
Worktunes all the time unless it 95 degrees out. Then is worktunes while mowing and nothing to trim. If I trimmed a lot then I might put them back on to blow off the driveway.

LwnmwrMan22
12-31-2006, 10:10 PM
Get yourself a pair of SHURE headphones.

They have a little prong on them, you can take a piece of 3/16" plastic tubing, about 1" long and put over that prong, and then put those foam earplugs right over the tube.

Then you can just insert the whole thing in your ear like you'd normally wear the plug, and you'll have crystal clear sound, with absolutely no noise.

desert rose gardening
12-31-2006, 10:16 PM
I use plugs, I can't handle the bulky muffs.

lawnspecialties
12-31-2006, 10:36 PM
Has anyone found a set of digital headphones, yet?

I can handle the heat. I can handle the pressure on my head. But, dang; constantly readjusting the dial because it keeps "drifting" from station to station.:angry:

RedMax Man
12-31-2006, 10:41 PM
Plugs are way to uncomfortable for me and i can't hear anything with them. I use AOsafety.

desert rose gardening
12-31-2006, 10:42 PM
We where in Maui last May, I think it was a Best Western we stayed at, we were sitting around the hotel room, then I here the gardeners using gas hedgers outside, I jump up and say "COOL!" i'm going to go talk to them! I go outside walk around the building and could not believe what I saw. Some dude in shorts, no shirt, flipflops, A cigarette hanging out of his mouth squinting because of the smoke, no earplugs and no safety glasses.:nono::hammerhead: hedging away! I couldn't believe it! I didn't talk to him I just walk back to the room in disbelief.:dizzy: What kind of company or hotel would allow that?

carcrz
12-31-2006, 10:46 PM
cheap labor!

mowerman90
12-31-2006, 10:56 PM
Has anyone found a set of digital headphones, yet?

I can handle the heat. I can handle the pressure on my head. But, dang; constantly readjusting the dial because it keeps "drifting" from station to station.:angry:

Yes, I have. Got them here: http://www.csuk.us/basicline.php#fmseries
One of the best things I ever bought.

RedMax Man
12-31-2006, 11:03 PM
We where in Maui last May, I think it was a Best Western we stayed at, we were sitting around the hotel room, then I here the gardeners using gas hedgers outside, I jump up and say "COOL!" i'm going to go talk to them! I go outside walk around the building and could not believe what I saw. Some dude in shorts, no shirt, flipflops, A cigarette hanging out of his mouth squinting because of the smoke, no earplugs and no safety glasses.:nono::hammerhead: hedging away! I couldn't believe it! I didn't talk to him I just walk back to the room in disbelief.:dizzy: What kind of company or hotel would allow that?

You should have gone back inside and grabbed the camara and snapped a few pics. LOL

Jason Rose
12-31-2006, 11:49 PM
If by "plugs" you mean just normal ear plugs designed to block sound, then yes, that's what I use. Iv'e never even owned any music whatever with the ear buds or plugs.

Envy Lawn Service
01-01-2007, 03:25 AM
Anyone know what the average noise level is for a ZTR or trimmer?
I'm surprised the commercial stuff doesn't have a sticker like some blowers do.

Personally, I have never used either... plugs or muffs or music earbuds... none of that.
I just didn't start out that way and I have went so long without anything that now I get paranoid when I try to wear hearing protection. I don't like not being able to hear what's going on around me.

PLM-1
01-01-2007, 03:38 AM

Personally, I have never used either... plugs or muffs or music earbuds... none of that.
I just didn't start out that way and I have went so long without anything that now I get paranoid when I try to wear hearing protection. I don't like not being able to hear what's going on around me.
I used to be like that. Then when i started to wear ear plugs the days seemed to go by so much quicker and i found myself to be much less tired.

lawnman_scott
01-01-2007, 08:25 AM
I like muffs.

puppypaws
01-01-2007, 02:41 PM

I just didn't start out that way and I have went so long without anything that now I get paranoid when I try to wear hearing protection. I don't like not being able to hear what's going on around me.Does you wife ever tell you to turn down the TV because it is to loud, if not she will before you get a whole lot older. I have operated machinery and shot a lot including 155 Howitzers all my life now I can't hear worth 2 cents. I think it is a male problem because all the wives of my friends say none of their husbands can hear. I like what you said the other day about you can sure tell it is winter with these posts we comment on.

LCPullman
01-01-2007, 02:55 PM
I use Peltor muffs, I use the top of the line, which is rated at 30db. I can't stand plugs, they make my ears hurt.

I think that small power equipment run around 100db at the muffler. Large chain saws tend to run around 10 to 20 db higher.

Official blower ratings are db at 50ft from the muffler and thus lower.

Richard Martin
01-01-2007, 03:18 PM

I can answer this since I have a dB meter. Gimme a few minutes.

Jason Rose
01-01-2007, 03:22 PM
I can answer this since I have a dB meter. Gimme a few minutes.

Cool! Can one of those be had for a resonable price? Just seems like a neat toy to have around. My ztr with the blower/blades running (Dixon) is honestly one of the loudest I know of, and Iv'e used a number of brands.

Nevermind, I looked and found then budget ones for around $60 and then up to $300+ for better models.

Richard Martin
01-01-2007, 03:42 PM
Cool! Can one of those be had for a resonable price? Just seems like a neat toy to have around. My ztr with the blower/blades running (Dixon) is honestly one of the loudest I know of, and Iv'e used a number of brands.

Nevermind, I looked and found then budget ones for around $60 and then up to $300+ for better models.

Radio Shack for under 50 bucks.

Richard Martin
01-01-2007, 04:05 PM

My unscientific quicky testing reveals that maybe they should.

I used a Radio Shack 33-2055 Digital Sound Level Meter with a new battery. I held the tested equipment exactly as I would when using it and sat in the seat of the mower. The dB meter was pointed at the equipment right beside my ear.

Shindaiwa T-230, no screen. Idle 89dB WOT 104dB
Stihl BR600 bone stock as I bought it. Idle 84dB WOT 108dB
Stihl FS80R no screen. Idle 92dB WOT 109dB
Ferris 36" GD with Kawi 15 twin with under 50 hours. Idle 90dB WOT 99dB WOT with blades on 105dB
Dixie Chopper 60" with 28 Kohler EFI with a Dixie Chopper HP+1 muffler, 500 hours. Idle 88dB WOT 101dB WOT with blades on 105dB

I use Stihl muffs when it's cold outside and Hearos plugs (www.hearos.com) when it's not cold. I really like the Hearos because you can still hear everything that going on but they have a fairly decent attenuation of sound levels. Musicians use them a lot.

lawnprosteveo
01-01-2007, 09:51 PM
I have tried the ear muffs during this leaf season. They would be WAY TOO HOT for Oklahoma summers.

The ear plugs I had been using actually have a higher decibal rating that the muffs. The plugs are rated at 33db protection and the muffs at 22 db...

I think I will stick with my plugs..