PDA

View Full Version : Hit a gas or line lately?

danboone
12-31-2006, 10:57 PM
This summer I hit a gas line on a residential install. The gas company mark was between 6 20' off in places!!! :dizzy:

The gas company made it into a major production, came out with 3 trucks, 8 men, backhoes and the works!!! They said that it would have cost me $1,500 except the mark was so obviously done wrong. The gas line was less than 3" in places on the yard to boot. It took them less than 5 minutes to install the repair, sounded more like an excessive penalty/fine than the price of a repair to me.

So a friend of mine in the pool business gave me a tip which I want to share.

Keep a bunch of PVC slip x slip ball valves on the truck and have some big vice grips. When you hit or nick a line, pinch it off, put a clean cut with your cutters and glue on the ball valve (work on the supply side). When the valve is dry, undo the kink and cut the discharge side and glue it together.

Wet_Boots
01-01-2007, 12:20 AM
I doubt whether that technique would work on the poly gas lines I have to worry about, being that they're joined mechanically, or by heat fusion.

Why not doublecheck the gasline location yourself with your own pipe and cable locator? (especially if the service is that far off)

N&CLandscaping
01-01-2007, 11:38 AM
Havent ever hit a gass line, but one of my buddys dads excavation companies blew up a house. It wasnt there fault, it was digsafe, but the trial thing is still going on cause everyone sues everyone

Dirty Water
01-01-2007, 07:39 PM
We don't have gas services here, but most people have propane tanks, I've hit a line from the tank to the house. They use a 1/2" thinwalled HDPE style of pipe. Good luck glueing that.

Bigred350
01-01-2007, 09:35 PM
I have hit several gas lines. It illegal to fix a gas line in the state of alabama and if you get caught its a huge fine.

If I hit a line i usually dig it up enought where I can kink it then wrap some duck tape to hold it until the gas company shows up.

Wet_Boots
01-01-2007, 09:37 PM
Do those propane lines have a marker wire to trace?

Dirty Water
01-01-2007, 09:40 PM
Do those propane lines have a marker wire to trace?

Not usually.

Wet_Boots
01-01-2007, 09:51 PM
Hmmmm, I wonder if that lack of a trace wire is a code violation. All our poly nat-gas lines have them. (except for that %#$@*&!! remodel job where they moved the meter and didn't add to the wire)

DeepRoots
01-01-2007, 10:10 PM
gaslines are like septic/sewage lines....
I always try my best to find them with a shovel as they are such a pain to fix.

I guess what I'm saying, is don't trust the locate company for something that can blow you up.

better luck next time.... sorry it happened.

Wet_Boots
01-01-2007, 10:22 PM
At least the poly lines break out in the field, instead of the way a old steel line might break in a basement, when a backhoe nails it. Fewer exploding homes that way.

Mdirrigation
01-03-2007, 09:05 AM
If you hit gas call the company and get away , I did the vise grip thing ,once , and the gas company guys told me about static electricity, and showed me pictures of a guy that got burned in a similar situation .

Fordsuvparts
01-03-2007, 10:30 AM
We ripped a 3" main line apart 2 years ago on mothers day, the tracer wire was off by over 20 feet. The tracer went straight and the gas line was like a snake, when the gas company finally got someone out to fix it, they found out the the line was marked 20' off were we were digging. In the end I gave each of the gas company employee's a knock out rose to take home to momma. And the Mini exc we were using was only 2 days old.