PDA

View Full Version : What Is Everyone Doing?

clallen03
01-01-2007, 12:17 AM
This is the close of my first season and I am just sitting around hanging out with the family. I feel like I should be doing something dealing with lawn care. The leaves are up the grass is dormant.
Other then landscaping jobs, what is everyone doing for the business at this time of year?

JDWalkbehind
01-01-2007, 12:31 AM
i'm working on equipment/bendin metal for trak vac and restoring a 1971 john deere 70 then a 1920 ford model T.

nick

cantoo
01-01-2007, 02:57 AM
Earlier today I was sharpening blades. Making hoses for the pressure washer. Yesterday put a new floor on a spare trailer. Working on the 4 wheelers. Tomorrow cutting riding trails in the bush. Always something to do.

MOW ED
01-01-2007, 09:01 AM
Gaining weight but that changes now that its 2007!

Got a marathon to run in 5.5 months.

LawnScapers of Dayton
01-01-2007, 09:03 AM
looking for snow......shopping for a new trailer.....

Jpocket
01-01-2007, 10:16 AM
you should be planning for the new year, looking at properties you want to service, getting a marketing plan together. Brain storm some new ideas.
That way when the weather breaks you can execute the plan

DOLMARatOS
01-01-2007, 10:42 AM
Go over every single piece of equipment that you have right down to a pair of pruning shears. Service, lubricate, trouble-shoot and try to improve them all.

You don't want suprises in the spring. Then you should do as they say, come up with a really good business plan. Scout properties, prepare possible bids. Cultivate business deals. Interview employees, etc. Stop at your local dealers and see about stocking up on 2-cycle oil, engine oil, blades, etc. Think about all the maintenance items you changed in 06 and buy them again in 07

Any good dealer should be able to hook you up with a spring order discount that meets or beats the online deals.

Spend time with your family, spend time at the gym (it WILL help your productivity), work for a plow company to make $$$$.

rodfather
01-01-2007, 10:44 AM
Roll up 2006 numbers and work on business plan for 2007

DixieFerris
01-01-2007, 10:45 AM
Besides all of the business planning, I'm making snow 3-4 days a week and working at a local ski mountain.

RedMax Man
01-01-2007, 11:15 AM
Finishing all the business stuff from last season and getting ready for next. Alway plannung to make it better than the last one. Hoping to get some snow sometime.

LB1234
01-01-2007, 01:07 PM
1. Praying for snow/ice storms.

2. Reading a book on how to be a better salesman.

3. Updating/revising the business plan.

4. Organizing the trailers.

5. Getting office organized.

6. Taxes.

7. Spending some quality time with my family.

mojob
01-01-2007, 01:15 PM
Plowing nonstop the last two weeks. Two blizzards in two weeks.payup We just might have a real winter for a change.

Tim Wright
01-01-2007, 01:18 PM
Waiting for snow, setting up Lawn contracts for the new season, averaging my labor cost so that I have an idea of what the new year is going to bring.

Checking out Lawnsite by the minute.

Tim

topsites
01-01-2007, 01:21 PM
Working on my new '95 dodge slut 2500 to get her ready: (well she IS a slut, the 2500 SLT laramie)
Oil change, pcv valve, breather cap, spark plugs + wires + cap + rotor, trans fluid + filter, wheel bearings, check tie rod ends and brake pads, remove nails / plug holes in tires, service the cruise control, replace OEM radio and fix the two broken dash switches, clean everything out real good, get the toolbox and the hitch and wires / lights / connectors all working good.

Then, the '86 d-250 needs then to be cleaned out and put up for sale or donated.
The mower and the aerator are next, then the push blower, then the other two mowers.
One of my cars needs new tires put on, I got the tools to do it, then get them balanced.

Yeah man, get ALL your stuff super ready, it helps a LOT come spring, you can run and run and run almost the whole season with a lot less maintenance
(downtime, really).

I'll be busy into february with this.
When I'm not in the mood for maintenance, I'll likely load up and drive past several customers houses, see if anyone needs a mid-winter cleanup.
etc, etc...

Spend some time here, learn stuff :)

very busy

LawnTamer
01-01-2007, 01:43 PM
1. Spending time with the wife and kids

2. Overhauling equipment

3. Paper/computer work and taxes

4. Playing on Lawnsite

5. A little traveling

desert rose gardening
01-01-2007, 01:49 PM