PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in Northeast going back to mowing?

mkwl
01-01-2007, 11:51 PM
Anyone mowing in the Northeast? With rainy conditions and temps in the 50's, I think I'll be mowing soon if we don't get some snow. The grass is starting to green up here, call me crazy but if I don't see some snow in the next few weeks, I'll start the season early!:cry: I WANT SNOW!!! Anyone else mourning the lack of snow?

qualitylawnmanagement
01-02-2007, 12:13 AM
I was out mowing Friday.

crzymow
01-02-2007, 12:26 AM
I'm not thinking im going to be mowing for a few months at least, things may be greening up a bit, but still arent gonna be growing. Plus everything is so wet and mucky i wouldnt want to be on it anyhow. we may not be getting snow, but plenty of rain to keep it wet

1MajorTom
01-02-2007, 12:28 AM
Nope, we aren't thinking about mowing, but we are appreciating the nice 50 degree weather we keep having.
No snow and lovin' it. :D

TheKingNJ
01-02-2007, 02:01 AM
i'd like to mow, I just don't have one customer that would take me seriously if I cut their lawn and sent them a bill for it.

Chop Stuff Up
01-02-2007, 03:45 AM
This is just a guess, I guess we're about 10-15 degrees above normal. I hope that doesn't happen come summertime.

MSS Mow
01-02-2007, 06:56 AM
i'd like to mow, I just don't have one customer that would take me seriously if I cut their lawn and sent them a bill for it.

Yeah, same here. I think they'd just laugh at me. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It's a little cooler here though. Still no snow on the ground though. We did have about 3 inches of snow a few days ago, but it was gone as fast as it came. It's raining as I type. Temp is only 36 though.

Jpocket
01-02-2007, 08:15 AM
Nope Im in "Planning Mode", and will be til the end of February. We may actually start mowing the 1st wk of April insttead of the 2nd.

rodfather
01-02-2007, 08:27 AM
Way too warm...supposed to hit around 60 by the end of the week.

AL Inc
01-02-2007, 08:49 AM
I'm also loving not having any snow. I took last week off and I am going back to work this week. I have some stone walls to build, and some topsoil. No mowing though. JPocket has some good advice, use this time of year to plan, the winter goes fast!

jeffex
01-02-2007, 09:21 AM
the last el nino -la nina winter we had in 2002 I started mowing the earliest ever. However, that was still the last week of march. Soil temps need around 70 degrees to stimulate sustained grass growth. The sun can heat southern facing patches of lawn and stimulate growth but good luck getting paid for cutting them. Sit back and get fat like me it will be here before you know it!! Beware of the hot drought summer that usually comes with the warm winter too.

Charles
01-02-2007, 09:30 AM
I know what its going to do. The weather will start turning much colder around mid March through the end of April. Never fails--warm winter = late Spring or it seems that way anyway

GreenN'Clean
01-02-2007, 09:31 AM
I usually don't start cutting until end of march early april

Grass-Masters
01-02-2007, 11:37 AM
Not doing any work here, but I am spending some time restoring my old trailer. So the nice days are great.

greengiant9963
01-02-2007, 11:52 AM
I did a fall cleanup last year in mid January. Usually there is over a foot of snow on the ground in the Buffalo area this time of year. I would love to be mowing now. Getting tired of watching reruns of the Golden Girls on Lifetime.:laugh:

Willofalltrades
01-02-2007, 12:04 PM
Quality... What are you mowing? lol I got screwed out of a good christmas because I was relying on some plow money to get some decient gifts for people. Thats because I get paid by the hour to plow in a bobcat. I learned my lesson this year. All I can do is hope for a snowy Jan. and Feb...(I doubt that will happen). Wow I am rambling... I guess its from being depressed because I have no spending money. lol

KrayzKajun
01-02-2007, 08:05 PM
I envy some of you guys in the north. I havent stopped mowing yet. it will be like 40 deg for 2 days then go back up to 70. But i love southern Louisiana

J&R Landscaping
01-02-2007, 10:40 PM
I have not had my mowers out for the past 3 weeks or so. I have 3 lawns that are still growing and they may hget cut if this warm stretch continues. From the weather report I heard earlier today, it is supposed to be warm this week as well as next week too.

I have been getting several calls for snow removal and have been signing up new clients for this but mother nature is not helping any.

mattfromNY
01-02-2007, 11:51 PM
Got a call for a lawn cleanup to do. Might as well, no snow in Central NY. Let it snow, let it grow, I dont care, just do something so I can make some $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

GarPA
01-03-2007, 05:11 AM
Accuweather's long term weather forecast calls for more normal winter temps around mid January

2menandamower
01-03-2007, 04:22 PM
I have one to do today and one to do tomorrow. They called me the week of Christmas and asked me if I could do one more cut. They both told me the lawn did not look really tall it was just looking Shabby and they would like to get it cut once more. I just got all my stuff winterized the week before they called. I got out the minimum stuff WB Trimmer, blower, and 21"... That is it for me.

BMFD92
01-03-2007, 04:28 PM
i have been doing some cleanups and i will be doing a three acre cleanup which will require a mowing so im still making some $ but would love to use my new plow

MysticLandscape
01-03-2007, 05:09 PM
Got a call today someone lookin for a clean-up and mowing for next year. 52 degress today normal high is upper 30's. This is redicualos. Only see 2 inchs of snow all season.

Travis E
01-03-2007, 07:13 PM
I was out mowing Friday.

I am also wondering where you are mowing?! Does it really need it or is it just to put some stripes back on the lawn? Yes the grass is somewhat green but didn't think it was anywhere close to mowing!:confused:

nobagger
01-03-2007, 07:30 PM
I had a guy call me today for a spring clean up and planting a few trees. Said sorry everything is in storage. He said he's gonna call around, I said well good luck with that, typically everyone has their equipment in storage this time of year.:dizzy:

Mic_bug
01-03-2007, 07:42 PM
I am also wondering where you are mowing?! Does it really need it or is it just to put some stripes back on the lawn? Yes the grass is somewhat green but didn't think it was anywhere close to mowing!:confused:

We've hit a few here and there...mostly to 'level' it.

Seems to grow faster in some areas (near buildings and sidewalks )than others. :dancing:

crzymow
01-03-2007, 11:25 PM
Hey Nobagger, give me that guys number, I'll do the work right now :D better then sitting around waiting for the snow that probably is never going to come this year.

Runner
01-03-2007, 11:51 PM
I just got a call this afternoon for a cleanup. I think it will be a full service sign on. I gave them a quote in early fall, and they had gone with someone cheaper (10 bucks per cut, she said). Well, the guy took their money for their fall cleanup and never did it. I'm going over tomorrow to have a look and see what they have.

Petr51488
01-04-2007, 12:57 AM
Give it two weeks and you'll have cold weather for sure. I guarantee it.

CAG
01-04-2007, 01:13 AM
Give it two weeks and you'll have cold weather for sure. I guarantee it.

i agree tho nothing is ever guaranteed..lol.. i was asked to price a few jobs one is a big one.. i gave some quotes and I'm working on the quote for the big one but I'm telling everyone it will be done in the early early spring.. i will be kicking myself when we dig up a yard and it starts snowing and the ground freezes.. plus I'm loving the break when I'm done doing shop work i have a lot of personal projects i have been dieing to get to.. hopefully in a couple weeks when people ask me how that quad runs i can say GREAT!!!lol

J&R Landscaping
01-04-2007, 03:52 PM
It dont matter to me. I like snow and would love to get lots of it but if I have an early mowing start-up for 07, thats cool as well. Some kind of cash flow is better then none at all IMO.

Ed Ryder
01-04-2007, 06:26 PM
I'm seeing quite a lot of shaggy lawns here in the Philadelphia suburbs - especially with commercial properties. Wide-spread shagginess!

I did do my last cuts the week before Christmas. Two complained. But their lawns had growth!

I de-activated the insurance on my trucks, so I consider myself finished until the end of March.

Definitely though my local competitors have left grass money on the table. Lawns here need a cut.

JJLandscapes
01-04-2007, 06:59 PM
LCO was laying sod down here in NY yesterday and im still driving with the windows down its 60 degrees and real nice

my conclusion is the world will blow up soon too much wierd **** going on lol

lawnguyland
01-04-2007, 08:15 PM
LCO was laying sod down here in NY yesterday and im still driving with the windows down its 60 degrees and real nice

No shiiite,

I'm buying a rowboat to get across the sound to the mainland when it all goes down.

Sir mowsalot
01-04-2007, 09:05 PM

Yea, and while were having 60 degree weather, its like 1 or 2 foot of snow in new mexico.

RedMax Man
01-04-2007, 09:16 PM
I think the grass is getting greener already. It was above 50 today and is suppose to get warmer. I washed my truck and waxed it, took the Walker for a spin around the yard and i must have seen at least 5 trucks with plows on out driving around.