PDA

View Full Version : Open trailer gates

jcs
01-01-2007, 11:15 PM
In thinking about an open trailer to meet my purposes, I have decided on a
7' X 14' with two axles and a side and rear gate. In looking at a dealer's inventory, I noticed that the trailers with 3500 lb axles had gates that were
4' tall. The side gates that I have seen all are 4' wide. These trailers with the 3500 lb axles all used tires with 15" rims.

I have looked at a trailer in my neighborhood that is used by a lawncare contractor that has 5' tall gates and has tires that use 16" rims. I believe the axles(2) are rated 5000 lbs.
Here's my questions:
1. Does anyone own a trailer with a side gate wider than 4'? Do the
manufacturers customize these in size?
2. If you plan to load a trailer with 3500 lbs., is a 7' X 14' with 2 3500 lb
axles good for the load?
3. If one bought a 7' X 14' with 4' tall gates, will the gates allow mowers like Z's to load and unload in the trailer?

smcunningham
01-02-2007, 12:26 AM
what kind of Z,s what brand and how big

jcs
01-02-2007, 12:59 AM
I have a exmart Z hp 46" deck. The 14' would give me enough room for another bigger Z and a 21" w/b.

pclawncare
01-02-2007, 01:03 AM
i have a 7' x 16' trailer my 4' tall gate works ok but i am currently working on adding another foot or maybe another foot and half to make the angle a little less sever. The taller the gates the better, but id get helper springs for to help picking them up. Also my side gate is around 53" i think i know i can load a 48" deck with a few inches to spare each side. Depends what kind of equipment your will be carrying on your axles. I have 2 3500#. I carry a grasshopper 61" walker 48" and 2 jd 21" w/b and have plenty of room left over. I havent tried it yet but i think that i can fit my grasshopper and 2 48" walkers on my trailer as long as i back one on and drive the other straight forward. I would probably be pushing my weight if i did this but i dont think id go over.

Lawntime Mowers
01-02-2007, 02:09 AM
Mine and most of the trailers I've seen with a side gate have a 60" opening and 4' high. The problem with the side gate is it's steep angle that will high-center mower. You might test it out with your truck and mowers. My trailer hitch sets low to the ground so it's not as bad as some. I'm considering adding an extra fold out/under extension to my side gate to help with the angle problem.
At this point I'm not loading my ztr on the side but if I had to, I don't think I could without dragging the hell out of the deck getting it on.

pclawncare
01-02-2007, 12:28 PM
My trailer has a 2' cage in the front so in order to fit the gate in between the axles and cage it has to be smaller but i do agree with your angle problem i can load my walker but it is not easy thats why i have been putting my grasshoper up front and not using the side gate but it would be nice to use if it worked as good was i though it was going to. I am also looking at adding a section to the gate

Total.Lawn.Care
01-02-2007, 12:41 PM
Your 2-3500 lbs axles with the 15" wheels will be fine, this give you 7000 lb GVWR. If you want modifications to the base trailer that you see, find out if the manufacture will customize, most of them will, but they do add the $$s to them for it. If you can weld, other than changing the side ramp width, it might be better for you to make the mods yoruself.

jcs
01-02-2007, 02:03 PM
Thanks everyone for your help here. The discussion of gate height has opened my eyes a little. Those 4' high gates that I've seen at a dealer will not work. I believe a 4 1/2' wide side gate 5' tall is what I'll shoot for in my pricing.

chuck bow
01-07-2007, 10:25 PM
4 foot tall gate will work if its a low slung trailer , i dont know what they call it.... i think the axel is over the spring mine is just a single axel 14 foot but works very well http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p164/rainboturf/012_12.jpg

Potchkins
01-14-2007, 02:07 AM
i'de go 16' long 2 #5200lb axles 15" wheels 7.00x15 tires
a tall (5 1/2"-6')split gate in the rear and a Bulldog hitch

Rons Rightway Lawncare
01-14-2007, 05:43 AM
I would not install a side gate on a smaller type open landscape trailer.

Why??? The side rails on most trailers are not just there for looks or to keep your mower from falling out.... the side rails act like part of a truss, and they help carry the load on the trailer. In other words the rails help to stiffen the trailer and add strength to it. Cutting out a section to stick in a gate weakens the trailer considerably.

DSLND
01-14-2007, 09:50 AM
4 foot tall gate will work if its a low slung trailer , i dont know what they call it.... i think the axel is over the spring mine is just a single axel 14 foot but works very well http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p164/rainboturf/012_12.jpg

Hey great looking trailer and ive seen pictures of your Scags. Do you have any picutres of the trailer loaded with your equipment? This season i will be purchasing a new trailer and would like a 7x14 but dont know if it will fit my Z w/2-bin bagger, 54in WB, and 21in. Thanks! -Mitch-

J&R Landscaping
01-14-2007, 12:19 PM
The 4' rear gate will be fine for loading and un-loading your Z's! That axle combo is also good. Post some pics if and when you buy it!!

jcs
01-14-2007, 02:28 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies. Yesterday I looked at a 7 X 16' landscape trailer. This trailer had both a rear gate and a side gate with 4' high sides(mesh) all the way around. There also was a 2 X 2' X 7' storage cage built across the front. The side gate was approximately 53" wide. The floor was
treated wood. It had 2 3500lb axles with 15" tire rims and a bulldog hitch.
There was also a 3 trimmer rack constructed on the passenger side down from the side gate. They want $2655.00 for it. It did not have any trailer brakes. Trailer brakes would run about $300 for one axle. The gates as constructed will not require any assist system. They are just not that bad with weight. They are braced with angle iron - not tube iron. Almost any Ztr
is going to be over 1000 lbs. I wonder if the gates would hold up to the weight? Maybe I can call the manufacturer (Trail Master) and get their take on the weight issue. I have not priced a utility trailer with pipe rail and a side gate yet. Thanks again.

Lawntime Mowers
01-15-2007, 10:46 PM
Here's where I'm buying my next one.
It's worth the drive for me to save a bunch of cash for a trailer built the way I want it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=7595334014&rd=1&rd=1

bowhunter74
01-16-2007, 11:21 PM
Lawntime you can get that trailer up here in St Joe for the same money, Budgit trailer sales

Lawntime Mowers
01-17-2007, 12:31 AM
Lawntime you can get that trailer up here in St Joe for the same money, Budgit trailer sales
Cool! Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.
Do they have a webpage that you know of?

dhardin53
01-17-2007, 12:58 PM
Just upgrading to a 6'4' WIDE BY 16' 5000# GVW with 2 3500# axles. The key to the weight issue is the toung.I found what is called a wraped toung, thats a 3x5" angle toung that runs or (wraps under the trailer) back to the first axle.
I could not find the ramps/gates I liked so Im building then. The back will be a 6' folding ramp assisted. and the side will be a 5'+ wide, 6 or 7' long folding assited. I have the back 90% done and will load with it then make the side ramp.
I like the folded ramps better they dont catch as much wind if your on the high-way. and you can get a better slope to load with.

Cost can get high real fast, around here a lot of LCO got there trailer direct from a trailer manufacturing co. in Sikston MO. I found a guy on E-bay in Kenntucky that beat there price. It was about the same distence to drive for me. My cost should end up trailer 850, steel 450, Gas to get it and odds and ends it should total $1400.

I know not everyone can take on a welding project like this, but its a great winter project. I had planed on building the trailer as well but the seel and axles alone would have cost me 7 or 800 for just the trailer. And as fast as the winter is going Im glade Im just building the ramps.
Hope to have a pic sme day.

My advice look for a trailer that has a wraped toung large enough, that way you can cut the side rail to add a side ramp with weaking the frame.

Good luck