PDA

View Full Version : Modification Help

smcunningham
01-02-2007, 01:24 AM
how hard and how much to put brakes on my 6x12 single axel traier.....
is it worth the time and money...........:confused:

Total.Lawn.Care
01-03-2007, 01:16 PM
how hard and how much to put brakes on my 6x12 single axel traier.....
is it worth the time and money...........:confused:

If your axle has the four hole brake mounting plate on them, then it is not hard at all. You can get all the parts you need from www.etrailerpart.com. Just get a pair of Brake Plate Assemblies and a set of Drums and be sure to get a breakaway kit. Install the brake plates, put on the drums, change your wiring over to 7 way and wire up your lights, breakaway etc. adn you are done. If you can do it yourself, it is cost effective. If you have someone else do it, it is cheaper to just buy an axle that already have brakes on it and have the axle swapped.

I am going to add brakes to my tandem 16' flatbed trailer soon.

muddstopper
01-03-2007, 07:20 PM
A pair of backing plates and drums will cost around $250. You will need a brakeaway kit, $49, and a brake controler for the truck if you dont already have one, $50-$150 depending on how fancy you want to get, and some wire. Preferably 14ga and blue for the brake hot wire, and white for the ground, just to keep everything color coded. You will also need some 14ga red or black wire for hooking up the brakeaway switch. There are two wires coming out of the backing plates. One is ground and the other is hot. These wires are usually the same color coming out of the backing plate and it doesnt matter which one you make ground or hot. Hook a blue wire to one and a white wire to the other. You will need enough wire to run from one side of the axel to the otherside. And enought to run from your axle to the trailer plug. You can run the ground (white)wire straight to the trailer frame, but I always run mine to the trailer frame and the trailer plug. If you already have a 7 flatpin trailer plug,(RV Plug), the rest is easy. Pull the plug apart and and looking at the place where the wires connect, Now with the top of the plug up, the top right pin is either a black or red wire, this is for your brakeaway battery. If your plug doesnt contain this wire, and it probably wont since your trailer doesnt have brakes, wire in one end of a red or black wire here and the other end to your brake away battery to keep it charged. On the bottom right of your plug, is the pin for the blue brake hot wire, hook the blue wire from your trailer brakes here. On the bottom left of the plug is a pin for the ground wire, your trailer might already have this wire, if not, hook the white ground wire from your trailer here. You brakeaway kit should have wireing instructions for connecting it to your plug, you will need to splice into the ground/white wire, and red or black wire as well as the blue brake wire. Read and follow the manufacturers directions but simple buttsplices or wire nuts are all thats needed to complete the splice and should be included in the brakeaway kit. Soildering and shrink wrap insulation is better. Reassemble the trailer plug and you are done with the trailer wireing.(if you didnt loosen any other wires and the lights where working before you started fooling with the plug.) Now read the instruction to the brake controler and follow them carefully, hooking the wrong wire together here can damage your new brake controller. The brake wire to the recepticale is usually blue, but you never know so follow direction carefully. Run a 14ga blue wire all the way to the back of the trailer plug receptical on your truck. You will have to remove the receptical from the truck to gain access to the wire pins on the back of the receptical. Looking at the back of the receptical where the wires hook up and with the top of the receptical pointed up. The Bottom left pin is where the blue wire goes, This will lineup with the bottom right pin on the plug end. the bottom right pin of the receptical is the ground white wire and it should already be hooked up, if not add a white wire and ground to the truck frame or body. The top left pin should also contain a red or black hot wire that is hot at all times, even when the truck is turned off. If not you will need to run a wire from this pin to the battery of your truck. After makeing all wireing connection, reassemble the trailer receptical. Again, if the trailer lights worked before you started, and you didnt loosen or remove any other wires, you should be good to go, but check out the brakes and lights before using the trailer to be sure everything is working as it should. Also notice that I said right side when looking at the plug pins and wire and left when looking at the receptical pins and wires. I didnt miswrite that, it all has to do with which side of the plug assembly you are looking at and if you are looking at where the wire goes in the pins on plug/receptical, then what I have described is where the pins will be located and where the wire connect..

Total.Lawn.Care
01-04-2007, 09:37 AM
www.etrailerpart.com

Brake Plate Assemblies (Pair) - 79.95 79.95
Drums (With new bearings) - 35.95 ea x 2 71.90
Breakaway Kit (with battery) - 29.95 29.95
Misc Wire & 7 way plug (apprx $40 for all) 40.00
Brake Controller 80.00
Total 301.80
Plus Shipping (Heavy Parts, could be as much as $50 by ground freight)
That is assuming you do not already have a brake controller in the truck.

It is worth it to do it, again, if you do it yourself. Good Luck

muddstopper
01-04-2007, 08:38 PM
www.etrailerpart.com

Brake Plate Assemblies (Pair) - 79.95 79.95
Drums (With new bearings) - 35.95 ea x 2 71.90
Breakaway Kit (with battery) - 29.95 29.95
Misc Wire & 7 way plug (apprx $40 for all) 40.00
Brake Controller 80.00
Total 301.80
Plus Shipping (Heavy Parts, could be as much as $50 by ground freight)
That is assuming you do not already have a brake controller in the truck.

It is worth it to do it, again, if you do it yourself. Good Luck

I saw the link in your other post. pretty good pricing, beats the heck out of what I am paying local.

I do recommend that when buying the breakaway kit you get one with the built in charger, not just the battery and disconnect, cost a few bucks more, but it keeps you from pulling down your auto battery if you leave the trailer hooked up at nite.

smcunningham
01-09-2007, 10:59 PM
thanks muddstopper and total lawncare:waving:
probaly ordering parts next week beats the hell out of local prices