PDA

View Full Version : How would you guys handle this?

Mike Fronczak
01-02-2007, 09:28 AM
I have a lawn fertilizing client. New lawn installed fall 2005. New track, of course no topsoil. She called to complain, I went out & looked at it. The lawn streaked (from fertilizer). I explained this to her, gave her two options she could have me come out & put more fertilizer down (no charge) perpendicular to the stripes, or do nothing & it would fade. Her reply was "I can't believe what you did to my lawn, I'm going to call some other people". She has been a constant complainer about weeds, doesn't understand the grass isn't thick enough to choke out weeds. To boot I haven't billed her for the last application. Almost wish it would snow, by spring the streaking will have disappeared. How would you have handled it?

Total.Lawn.Care
01-02-2007, 09:46 AM
I think that when I saw the streaks, I would have offered to go head and apply alittle more fert perpendicular like you suggested. I aply both directions on my lawns anyway. But it may have headed off the ongoing issue. If she is a major PITA, let her find someone else.

LawnTamer
01-02-2007, 10:47 AM
Sorry, but if you striped her lawn, that's a legitimate complaint. I think you shouldn't charge her for the application and offer to re-apply for free. I know that may stink for you, but that's the Pro thing to do.
If you went to a body shop for a paint job and it had streaks in it, how would you want to be treated?

2 tips to avoid striping:

1. NEVER use a drop spreader, always broadcast.

2. On big lawns, misshaped lawns, pale lawns or thin lawns always apply a 2nd time at 90 deg to the first app.

Learn the lesson and don't let it worry you, every applicator learns this lesson sooner or later.

Mike Fronczak
01-02-2007, 03:12 PM
I haven't billed for the application that streaked, was planning on reapplying for free. I have done thousands of applications, only had a couple streak. I also called Lesco Mgr who is a former applcator. He said same thing I offered her also said "maybe those areas soil is better". I have seen this happen as well & where gutter downspouts cause fert to release faster. This lady is "making a mountain of a mole hill" especially considering it is January & the last application was done in November.

LwnmwrMan22
01-03-2007, 08:07 AM
I haven't billed for the application that streaked, was planning on reapplying for free. I have done thousands of applications, only had a couple streak. I also called Lesco Mgr who is a former applcator. He said same thing I offered her also said "maybe those areas soil is better". I have seen this happen as well & where gutter downspouts cause fert to release faster. This lady is "making a mountain of a mole hill" especially considering it is January & the last application was done in November.

If you've done thousands of applications, then you should be to the point in your business that when you get someone complaining as much as you say she does, that you're happy when she finds someone new.

Let her move on, there'll be 2 more to fill her place.

carcrz
01-03-2007, 08:24 AM
Have you done any soil tests?

Mike Fronczak
01-03-2007, 09:25 AM
She doesn't have any soil to test. New lawn with builders topdress, you can see stone in some areas. Probably not enough seed, I ussally seed at higher rates at least(but her son in law put lawn in, so can't say that). Some people expect way too much. I'm good.. not god is what I used to tell people when I was with Davey.